Chiappa Caliber Conversions

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Chiappa Caliber Conversions

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2018, 2:51 pm

Any of you guys used the Chiappa Caliber Conversions?
What sort of accuracy are they capable of with rifle sights?
Basically, are they viable for hunting or plinking with or are they purely for very close range coup-de-gras only?
Attachments
Chiappa M6 Conversions.JPG
Chiappa M6 Conversions.JPG (93.97 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Chiappa Caliber Conversions

Post by Metalmik84 » 08 Jul 2018, 10:17 pm

Have been wondering the same thing. Haven't found anyone who owns them yet...
Metalmik84
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Jul 2018, 11:04 pm

Guess it won't come as a surprise that I have the full set of these, they came as a package with the Chiappa x-Caliber zombie survival firearm in bought a few years ago. I haven't really played with them too much but it's fun to put the 44mag in the top tube and 357 in the bottom tube of the Mossberg U/O. Accuracy wise, well they're more miss then hit mainly due to how they fit into the 12ga barrel. They rely on an O-Ring to hold them in place and the inserts can rotate when fired which changes the POI with each shot. The O-Rings also seem to perish rather quickly so make sure you have a good supply of spares if getting the kit. I paid $850 in June 2015 for the X-Caliber which is a 12ga / 22LR combo rifle packaged with the 10 pack of inserts which is a bargain compared to $735 they want just for the inserts. In summary, probably not worth the money as a standalone purchase.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2018, 3:10 pm

brett1868 wrote:Guess it won't come as a surprise that I have the full set of these, they came as a package with the Chiappa x-Caliber zombie survival firearm in bought a few years ago. I haven't really played with them too much but it's fun to put the 44mag in the top tube and 357 in the bottom tube of the Mossberg U/O. Accuracy wise, well they're more miss then hit mainly due to how they fit into the 12ga barrel. They rely on an O-Ring to hold them in place and the inserts can rotate when fired which changes the POI with each shot. The O-Rings also seem to perish rather quickly so make sure you have a good supply of spares if getting the kit. I paid $850 in June 2015 for the X-Caliber which is a 12ga / 22LR combo rifle packaged with the 10 pack of inserts which is a bargain compared to $735 they want just for the inserts. In summary, probably not worth the money as a standalone purchase.

Thanks Brett, I thought that might be the case. I actually asked somebody on Facebook a while back, asking if the tubes are free to rotate in the barrel. They assured me they didn't rotate, but I couldn't see how they could stay still against the force of the rotating bullet. Have you ever tried marking the tube and ensuring you load it the same way to see if it groups any better?

I might just get one of them to have a play with since I'm already loading .38 and .44.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.