What shotty is this? My first shotgun ..

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

What shotty is this? My first shotgun ..

Post by rookie » 14 Feb 2019, 11:56 am

Hi guys,

Anyone know brand / model of this shotgun in this SSAA Gun Sales advert from a magazine? (see attached image)

I'm looking at options for my first shotty - Mostly for clays and the odd quail at a mate's property (happy with U/O) around $2K.

I've shot a:
- Akkar Churchill - I thought was too heavy and break was new and very stiff
- Browning 525 - liked it, not as heavy as Churchill but still a little heavy
- Miroku - 2 different types
-- I'm getting model of the cheaper one which I shot well with (Cecil Park hire gun)
-- The other was apparently a +$3K Miroku that I thought too heavy (Silverdale hire gun)

I'd like to try a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 - I handled one at LGS and it felt lighter than the others (which I prefer) and the action break was silky smooth - I know it was "run in" but the others (other than the Churchill) were too but didn't feel like this one.

With the weight of the Silver Pigeon, I'm thinking it might have been the "field" version as opposed to a "sporter" (I didn't know the field existed at the time, so didn't think to check) but maybe it was just that the hinge had loosened up and made it feel lighter, breaking the action, etc.

I prefer a lighter maneuverable as opposed to a heavier one that will mitigate recoil - I figure I can get "used to" adjusting for a second shot but a heavier gun will get to me after a few rounds of clays.

The one in the photo looks good ... I'm thinking of staying away from the Turkish guns only because I've read their quality can suffer over time and I'd like to hope the shotty is a keeper.

In saying that, the ATA 686B black looks good too ... or a synthetic but I haven't looked into it yet.

Any tips on what to look out for would be good - in particular any common faults to watch out for in either the Miroku / Browning / Beretta ... your thoughts on a second-hand shotgun?

I heard Beretta can having timing issues with their ejectors but I'm not sure if that's an old issue that's fixed or just poor quality control ongoing.

I've got a week and half until my PTA cooling period finishes, so using this time to look at the options ..

Cheers
Attachments
shot.jpg
Shotgun from SSAA gun sales advert
shot.jpg (691.39 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: What shotty is this? My first shotgun ..

Post by hzj80 » 14 Feb 2019, 12:55 pm

Looks like a Benelli
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Feb 2019, 1:41 pm

I’ve got the ata - decent shotty. My 14 year old uses it for clays more than I use it. Never had an issue via maybe 2000 shots thus far. 5 year warranty was a key for me over a Churchill.
Have noticed that blueing is light - so it is easy to scratch.
If I bought anotherbid pay extra $100 and get adjustable cheek.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2019, 6:11 pm

Beretta SP1 :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rookie » 14 Feb 2019, 10:58 pm

Thanks hzj80 for pointing me in the right direction .. I think it’s a Benelli 828U. Found it listed here: https://www.gunemporium.com.au/product/ ... 8u-silver/ .. unfortunately more than I’d like to pay at this stage.

Thanks also for confirming the ATA 686 TassieTiger .. saw someone with the 20” barrel on it trying to shoot clays at a distance (Cecil Park) and couldn’t hit one. Amazing.

Thanks for the message also BFS. Great looking gun and congrats on that achievement :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Feb 2019, 8:03 am

What sort of clays are you intending to shoot? Down the line, olympic trap, skeet, or sporting clays? It does make a difference on what you would want to use. My sons miroku 70 is stiff to open but is loosening up as he uses it. Just a few weeks ago I was tossing up between a beretta SP1 Sporter or a miroku Mk 10. The beretta service is better, but the miroku just felt better on my shoulder.

Re second hand vs new..... There are lots of second hand shotguns on the market. Many have copped a flogging, but when I was looking, (all 4 in my safe are second hand) I was surprised at how many barely used ones are out there. I think a lot of people get into clay shooting and then realise (1) it's not a cheap sport, and (2) most people need a lot of practice before they start shooting half reasonable scores, and so they lose interest.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by rookie » 15 Feb 2019, 12:50 pm

Thanks BA,

I like DTL, which I believe is (like) trap? .. I'm only new to it but as I'm hitting more than I miss I think it's time to get used to a single gun.

Interestingly, I went to a different range (Silverdale) and their setup was different. The trap machine was setup only a few metres in front of where you stand and a couple of metres below. There are no stations and you shoot the whole round, one after the other from the same cage-like spot (only one shooter). I assumed this was a practice thing but a kid that was also shooting told me they do competitions from there ... not sure what this type of clay setup might be called but it didn't seem as fun as the 5 stand / position setup, which I find more social (and less waiting time).

I do want to try out "field and game" as well as skeet but finding the challenge of DTL quite fun for now. I can't see myself buying a separate skeet / field gun, so was hoping to get a relatively light sporter as opposed to a dedicated DTL trap setup.

I've been trying to shoot what shotguns I can and Miroku is definitely up there in my choices .. but of those that I shouldered at the gun shop, the SP1 was noticeably the lightest and noticeably smooth to open but the price tag comes with it. The hire gun Mirokus were well used and their actions just didn't feel the same (not quite clunky but needed to muscle it more) but maybe these just needed a clean..

I sorta get the feeling that I'm trying to convince myself to get the SP1 .. needing that nudge as it's a little more pricey and I was told (by someone who was told) that they do get problems with them after 12 months. That's the only advice I've gotten against them with the gun store also saying that they don't get poor feedback with them at all ..

Good to know that there's no issue getting second hand .. I might ask a separate question in a different thread about the process of buying second hand

Thanks for the feedback ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

I know plenty of people who use SP1's and I can]t recall anyone ever having issues with them, more than likely it's someone who doesn't know what they are doing more so than the gun itself. :thumbsup:

I like DTL it's good fun and good practice I reckon, I remember shooting one day and the wind was coming straight on and the clay was released and the thing got about 5m out and went almost vertical which made for some fun shooting :lol:

I was shooting a few years back with one of the top Australian Olympians and she was impressed with how well I went considering I'd never done much shooting before (I think I'd shot once before in the field) and my mate realised how well I did it and decided to introduce me to this person to see what they thought - the rest is history I soon bought the SP1 after that. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Feb 2019, 2:43 pm

For anyone who owns a Beretta or is thinking of buying one just take your gun to one of their open days and get it serviced for free, it's a lifetime thing with Beretta and if it needs any parts it doesn't cost anything either, what more could you ask for really, their service is next to none hands down the best I've seen.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Feb 2019, 5:30 pm

rookie wrote:Thanks BA,

I like DTL, which I believe is (like) trap? .. I'm only new to it but as I'm hitting more than I miss I think it's time to get used to a single gun.

Interestingly, I went to a different range (Silverdale) and their setup was different. The trap machine was setup only a few metres in front of where you stand and a couple of metres below. There are no stations and you shoot the whole round, one after the other from the same cage-like spot (only one shooter). I assumed this was a practice thing but a kid that was also shooting told me they do competitions from there ... not sure what this type of clay setup might be called but it didn't seem as fun as the 5 stand / position setup, which I find more social (and less waiting time).

I do want to try out "field and game" as well as skeet but finding the challenge of DTL quite fun for now. I can't see myself buying a separate skeet / field gun, so was hoping to get a relatively light sporter as opposed to a dedicated DTL trap setup.

I've been trying to shoot what shotguns I can and Miroku is definitely up there in my choices .. but of those that I shouldered at the gun shop, the SP1 was noticeably the lightest and noticeably smooth to open but the price tag comes with it. The hire gun Mirokus were well used and their actions just didn't feel the same (not quite clunky but needed to muscle it more) but maybe these just needed a clean..

I sorta get the feeling that I'm trying to convince myself to get the SP1 .. needing that nudge as it's a little more pricey and I was told (by someone who was told) that they do get problems with them after 12 months. That's the only advice I've gotten against them with the gun store also saying that they don't get poor feedback with them at all ..

Good to know that there's no issue getting second hand .. I might ask a separate question in a different thread about the process of buying second hand

Thanks for the feedback ..

Given you want to do a bit of everything, buy a Sporter. If you like the beretta SP1, stop procrastinating and just buy it. You won't be disappointed. Not everyone likes them, but seriously consider getting a mid barrel bead fitted.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by rookie » 18 Feb 2019, 10:53 am

Thanks BA,

Given you want to do a bit of everything, buy a Sporter.

Yep, I agree - not looking at a trap gun now.

If you like the beretta SP1, stop procrastinating and just buy it.

Funny, I went to two gun shops on Saturday (had a mate who is getting his licence also and he hadn't been to the two we went too) and the guy behind the counter of the second shop was offering to show me more Miroku's and others .. and I said, nope, no more options, I'm going with SP.

I'm probably procrastinating more than I should because I've still got (a week of the) cooling off period to go through.

You won't be disappointed. Not everyone likes them,

Yeah, totally understand ... one of my mates (the best shot of our group) loves his Browning and highly recommends a Miroku .. and keeps telling me positives about it ... but I reckon if I said "borrow the SP for a day" he won't say no and might stop advising against it :D

None of my mates have SP probably because of their starting price at $2600 putting them above Browning 525 and Miroku Mk38 and Mk10s (and obviously the Churchill and ATA) .. but with them on sale at 3 different LGS near me for $2300 it only now makes them more of an option brand new.

but seriously consider getting a mid barrel bead fitted.

I shouldered one with it and it is a great little thing to have (at my level anyway).

From reading online, it's used to check your alignment if you pre-mount before calling "pull", which I do most of the time (would be good to get accustomed to do this) then ignore the mid bead and focus on the target when actually taking the shot.

This makes perfect sense and I definitely will get one put in.

So, waiting for cooling off period to finish and get the online status changed to "approved" then will commit.

There are just a couple of second hand options to weigh up maybe before then.

:thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 19 Mar 2019, 11:03 am

With shotguns you buy what fits/feels more natural. You either like the big action of the Browning/Miroku or the slim action of a Beretta or the many others. I shoot a Beretta 682 Gold E Xtrap and also have an older black action 682 Xtrap that I bought as my first serious trap gun 20 years ago. You can't go wrong with either Browning/Miroku or Beretta they are all excellent quality built to last but Beretta offer the best service in the business. My old 682 has seen well over 20,000 rounds and is still tight.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rookie » 21 Mar 2019, 9:48 am

Mattraff wrote:With shotguns you buy what fits/feels more natural. You either like the big action of the Browning/Miroku or the slim action of a Beretta or the many others.

Thanks Mattraff, I've now had the pleasure of shooting a couple of Beretta's, including a very early model Silver Pigeon (stamped with an "S" as opposed to "1" - probably before they started naming them "SP1" - was told it was a Sporter not skeet..) and a DT10. Great having both on the same day, as I could tell the difference with the point of aim. I'm warming to trap - the less angle / drop at the heel seems to be more forgiving / consistent point of aim. The time has helped me figuring out what I prefer.

Shooting the hire guns and after about 5 sessions, I've got in the lower 20's (DTL) with Miroku's last session and mostly using only single shot (although the old blokes at the range have been telling me I'm now not following through because of the single shot :lol: .. its fun). I'm glad that I haven't rushed in and bought it yet as I know now that it's not the gun (you can adapt) as long as the gun is balanced to suit you.

So yep, totally agree with shotguns it's fit and what feels natural. What clinches the deal for me is the Beretta support as you said :thumbsup: - I'll add to this below.

Mattraff wrote:I shoot a Beretta 682 Gold E Xtrap and also have an older black action 682 Xtrap that I bought as my first serious trap gun 20 years ago.
.. You can't go wrong with either Browning/Miroku or Beretta they are all excellent quality built to last ..
.. My old 682 has seen well over 20,000 rounds and is still tight.

Lucky man. I see they're holding their value well too. Most of the second hand ones I've seen are still close to $4K for 682s. If I had a little more money to spare, I'd love to get a 692 (or 690).

Mattraff wrote:.. but Beretta offer the best service in the business.

Little things I've learnt when considering second hand:
  • It might have been me on the day but I could also tell the difference between the "S" and the newer SP "1" in the shops (stamped under the receiver). It wasn't in their total weight but in the distribution of weight with the "S" having more weight towards the barrel than SP1s today (could've been the setup of that particular gun). Could be because the barrel may have been the earlier ones that they use in the "Field" models now and the newer Sporters are "optima" barrels.

• To identify which barrel you might have, you can look at the chokes and match them to barrels - so SP first had mobilchokes (which they still use today in their field version), moved on to Optima Chokes (which was next barrel "improvement") and now on to OCHP (latest barrel design). The chokes are designed for their barrels and not sure you can put OCHP in OC barrels. Really only useful if you're interested in playing / changing chokes .. example, some new Beretta "ported" chokes are readily available for OCHP .. other brands make them for mobilchokes but I don't think for OC. ... little things like that if you want to play around with it in future .. was confusing for me initially to understand this

• Use Beretta support to check the serial numbers to make sure they're Beretta Australia shotguns and qualify for Forever Servicing (use the "contact us" form on their website) they get back to you same day. They've been great and helpful - You know you're considering quality when their support is this good. There are (I assume) grey imports being sold that don't qualify so it's best to check.

Other things that make Beretta a good choice:
  • I've only recently realised that you can get Beretta to fit factory adjustable stocks in many of their models as an option (including SP1 +$300 their regular retail price). They will also tailor fit it for you free of charge if you're prepared to go down to Melbourne, which would be cool - you organise the fitting with your gun shop at the time of purchase

• Sale prices - SP1 are still going for $2300 at the moment (supposedly their regular retail price is $2800) so its a great time to buy. Adjustable stock option is around the $3000 mark.
For me, a couple of things:
  • I'm left eye-dominant and right-handed - even though I think I'll do OK right-handed, the old blokes and range officers reckon I should shoot left handed ... I don't know if they're messing with my head :lol: - but I'm going to give it a try hopefully this weekend .. last session was about the second time I could honestly say I was just looking at the clay and trusting everything else will line up and it did (until I changed brand / speed of ammo :lol:) .. so not sure its much of an issue unless you're doing competition

• Got my first rifle (CZ 452 Varmint :D) recently and trying to keep the mrs on-side by spreading the purchases a bit - the shotgun ammo adds up (why I'm shooting single barrel til I buy the shotty) .. but looking through the scope with my right-eye might be evening out my left-eye dominance
Real fun times .. people are great at the ranges and on the forums :thumbsup:

Hope the info helps the next guy ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 2:41 pm

rookie wrote:
Mattraff wrote:With shotguns you buy what fits/feels more natural. You either like the big action of the Browning/Miroku or the slim action of a Beretta or the many others.

Thanks Mattraff, I've now had the pleasure of shooting a couple of Beretta's, including a very early model Silver Pigeon (stamped with an "S" as opposed to "1" - probably before they started naming them "SP1" - was told it was a Sporter not skeet..) and a DT10. Great having both on the same day, as I could tell the difference with the point of aim. I'm warming to trap - the less angle / drop at the heel seems to be more forgiving / consistent point of aim. The time has helped me figuring out what I prefer.

Shooting the hire guns and after about 5 sessions, I've got in the lower 20's (DTL) with Miroku's last session and mostly using only single shot (although the old blokes at the range have been telling me I'm now not following through because of the single shot :lol: .. its fun). I'm glad that I haven't rushed in and bought it yet as I know now that it's not the gun (you can adapt) as long as the gun is balanced to suit you.

So yep, totally agree with shotguns it's fit and what feels natural. What clinches the deal for me is the Beretta support as you said :thumbsup: - I'll add to this below.

Mattraff wrote:I shoot a Beretta 682 Gold E Xtrap and also have an older black action 682 Xtrap that I bought as my first serious trap gun 20 years ago.
.. You can't go wrong with either Browning/Miroku or Beretta they are all excellent quality built to last ..
.. My old 682 has seen well over 20,000 rounds and is still tight.

Lucky man. I see they're holding their value well too. Most of the second hand ones I've seen are still close to $4K for 682s. If I had a little more money to spare, I'd love to get a 692 (or 690).

Mattraff wrote:.. but Beretta offer the best service in the business.

Little things I've learnt when considering second hand:
  • It might have been me on the day but I could also tell the difference between the "S" and the newer SP "1" in the shops (stamped under the receiver). It wasn't in their total weight but in the distribution of weight with the "S" having more weight towards the barrel than SP1s today (could've been the setup of that particular gun). Could be because the barrel may have been the earlier ones that they use in the "Field" models now and the newer Sporters are "optima" barrels.

• To identify which barrel you might have, you can look at the chokes and match them to barrels - so SP first had mobilchokes (which they still use today in their field version), moved on to Optima Chokes (which was next barrel "improvement") and now on to OCHP (latest barrel design). The chokes are designed for their barrels and not sure you can put OCHP in OC barrels. Really only useful if you're interested in playing / changing chokes .. example, some new Beretta "ported" chokes are readily available for OCHP .. other brands make them for mobilchokes but I don't think for OC. ... little things like that if you want to play around with it in future .. was confusing for me initially to understand this

• Use Beretta support to check the serial numbers to make sure they're Beretta Australia shotguns and qualify for Forever Servicing (use the "contact us" form on their website) they get back to you same day. They've been great and helpful - You know you're considering quality when their support is this good. There are (I assume) grey imports being sold that don't qualify so it's best to check.

Other things that make Beretta a good choice:
  • I've only recently realised that you can get Beretta to fit factory adjustable stocks in many of their models as an option (including SP1 +$300 their regular retail price). They will also tailor fit it for you free of charge if you're prepared to go down to Melbourne, which would be cool - you organise the fitting with your gun shop at the time of purchase

• Sale prices - SP1 are still going for $2300 at the moment (supposedly their regular retail price is $2800) so its a great time to buy. Adjustable stock option is around the $3000 mark.
For me, a couple of things:
  • I'm left eye-dominant and right-handed - even though I think I'll do OK right-handed, the old blokes and range officers reckon I should shoot left handed ... I don't know if they're messing with my head :lol: - but I'm going to give it a try hopefully this weekend .. last session was about the second time I could honestly say I was just looking at the clay and trusting everything else will line up and it did (until I changed brand / speed of ammo :lol:) .. so not sure its much of an issue unless you're doing competition

• Got my first rifle (CZ 452 Varmint :D) recently and trying to keep the mrs on-side by spreading the purchases a bit - the shotgun ammo adds up (why I'm shooting single barrel til I buy the shotty) .. but looking through the scope with my right-eye might be evening out my left-eye dominance
Real fun times .. people are great at the ranges and on the forums :thumbsup:

Hope the info helps the next guy ..

How many barrels do you see when you look down the barrel at the bead? Just he one or do you see 2 or 3?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rookie » 21 Mar 2019, 3:43 pm

bigfellascott wrote:How many barrels do you see when you look down the barrel at the bead? Just he one or do you see 2 or 3?

Hey Scott,

When I first started I'd find it hard to focus and I'd see two barrels (like I'm cross eye'd) - that's what got me on to eye dominance.

To get over it, I wear plastic safety glasses with a small masking tape patch (one centimetre diameter) to cover the pupil of my left eye. I'd also squint or close my left eye when it wasn't my turn to shoot (5 position DTL). That's enough to allow my right eye to take control most of the time when it's my turn. Also shooting the new rifle using my right eye on the scope has been helping too, I think.

I was just surprised the last couple sessions I shot, it was almost like I didn't even look down the barrel but stayed focused on the clay. I mashed my cheek down on the stock and kept the clay a little above the end bead (it was a Miroku Mk10 trap). I trusted my arms would shift the barrel in the direction I was looking at and so only kept the barrel / bead in very soft focus and the clay at hard focus. Worked well and I was breaking them.

Last round, however, I had some 1400fps 24gr shells I wanted to get rid of (bought a slab of them at gun shop on sale) and it took me half the round to get used to them. Now they're pretty much gone I'm going to stick to the Winchester 1oz 6shot 1290fps that was working really well for me (now the cheapest slab I can consistently get).

winchester_6shot_1oz_1290fps.jpg
winchester_6shot_1oz_1290fps.jpg (34.54 KiB) Viewed 6070 times

I'm pretty much hoping I can change the point of aim for a Sporter with an adjustable comb (as you once suggested) but am wanting to try left-handed to overcome the eye dominance as well. Would be nice to not have to worry about my eyes at the end of the day.

The SP Sporter I used, I had to cover the target with the barrel, so that feeling of just focusing on the Clay wouldn't work unless I can change the point of aim ..

Any suggestions welcome!?

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 4:01 pm

Hey Mick, I suffered from Eye Dominance too and just do as you've done, shooting glasses with a bit of tape on the left eye lense, works a treat.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rookie » 21 Mar 2019, 4:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote: I suffered from Eye Dominance too

Do you reckon you’ve overcome the eye dominance over time or would you still need the tape on glasses if you were to shoot trap today?
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 4:29 pm

rookie wrote:
bigfellascott wrote: I suffered from Eye Dominance too

Do you reckon you’ve overcome the eye dominance over time or would you still need the tape on glasses if you were to shoot trap today?

I just stick with the tape on the glasses mate, I did try a few times without it but it wasn't any good without it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 4:33 pm

I'd stick with the 71/2 shot mate and around 28gm :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rookie » 21 Mar 2019, 7:37 pm

Thanks Scott - good to know others get by with the eye thing. I’ll see how the left hand works and report back.

Re. the 71/2 shot - I do want to get that (and maybe 8 shot in the second barrel). I currently get whatever is on sale (this was $89 for a slab) but getting better now at finding out what to actually look out for instead of going solely on price. I think I saw 71/2 and 8 shot for $110-$120 a slab (Winchester AA) and avoided it previously.

I consequently focused on the speed 1250-1290fps and the 28gr and thought 1oz was about right to match the lead I’m was used to giving it .. but will look for the 71/2 next time :thumbsup:

Also, I might revisit our earlier discussions via PM if you’ve still got it and interested? I want to experiment with left hand first but I think I know a lot more about the purpose of things this time around.

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 8:20 pm

Not a prob Mick, I think the clay target type ammo has a slightly diff wad (don't quote me on it) but I think that's slightly different too. I don't mind the Lite versions either, they seem to work well too. I've never bothered changing from 7.5 to 8's in the different barrels (never had a need) most of the time the first shot does the job fine and I just drop another shell in when I move down the line. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 8:47 pm

This is what I run in mine most of the time
http://www.berettaaustralia.com.au/ammu ... ition-line
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rookie » 21 Mar 2019, 9:32 pm

Thanks Scott,

I found it available at one of the shops near me at $15 per 25. No price for a slab: https://safarifirearms.com.au/rc2-compe ... 5-1250fps/ - a little pricey maybe and if I find I like it that might not be a good thing to the budget :lol: ..

Closer to the range they don’t have it but I’m thinking about getting this (looks like 8 shot):

WINCHESTER SUPER TARGET 1250FPS 12GA 28GM 250PKT
$95.00
https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... kt/product

I’d like to standardise on 1250fps as I think it’s a speed u can get in a lot of brands.

Can’t wait to go for a shoot now :D bet u do too :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 10:09 pm

rookie wrote:Thanks Scott,

I found it available at one of the shops near me at $15 per 25. No price for a slab: https://safarifirearms.com.au/rc2-compe ... 5-1250fps/ - a little pricey maybe and if I find I like it that might not be a good thing to the budget :lol: ..

Closer to the range they don’t have it but I’m thinking about getting this (looks like 8 shot):

WINCHESTER SUPER TARGET 1250FPS 12GA 28GM 250PKT
$95.00
https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... kt/product

I’d like to standardise on 1250fps as I think it’s a speed u can get in a lot of brands.

Can’t wait to go for a shoot now :D bet u do too :thumbsup:

That should do the job mate, I'm amazed at the prices for ammo now :wtf: It's been about 4 or 5yrs since I bought any and I think I've got 8 boxes left :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mattraff » 22 Mar 2019, 6:49 pm

You can do eye exercises to correct eye dominance issues, I went to a sports optometrist who helped me out many years ago.

As far as trap loads go most use 28g of 7.5 doing about 1250fps for the bottom barrel and 7's in the top perhaps a little hotter at 1300fps. Some use 8's in the bottom but if you just started out with 7.5 in both barrels you would be fine. Find a load you like and stick with it. Anything that uses Vectan powder will be the most comfortable to shoot.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rookie » 25 Mar 2019, 8:54 am

Thanks guys,

I’m along the same lines of thinking - starting with 7.5shot 28gr 1250fps in both barrels is going to be the go. Winchester seems consistently available, so will go with that.

Also reporting back on the shooting left hand experience.

Some background: whilst having a discussion with some range officers and getting on the subject of eye dominance, they said because I’m just starting out that I should give left handed shooting a go

So squeezed in a couple of rounds over the weekend and confirmed the obvious. What they failed to take into account (and I may have misunderstood that they were talking about rifles) is that with smashing clays it’s not only your eyes that shoot (and they would suggest also trigger technique). I found being right handed, right footed and my posture were all telling me to shoot the other way. And I quickly formed the opinion “why try to change (3 variables) my right handedness, right footedness and natural inclination for only a single variable (my eye preference)”

So, gone down to specsavers and ordered some glasses :D I have a minor prescription to help out my right eye and will work on it from it there.

Last step now .. finally buying .. I’ve found that I actually prefer a trap setup. Visually I like seeing the target above the barrel as opposed to covering it (as I strive for with a Sporter).

Speaking with a mate who shoots a Sporter well, he says he keeps the target above the barrel but I see that he mounts the stock lower on his cheek than I do.

Are the only real differences between a trap and a Sporter setup:

1. Trap might be setup a little heavier towards the barrel
2. Stock has less heal drop

Just checking if I am missing anything?

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.