What shotty is this? My first shotgun ..

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: What shotty is this? My first shotgun ..

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 4:33 pm

I'd stick with the 71/2 shot mate and around 28gm :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rookie » 21 Mar 2019, 7:37 pm

Thanks Scott - good to know others get by with the eye thing. I’ll see how the left hand works and report back.

Re. the 71/2 shot - I do want to get that (and maybe 8 shot in the second barrel). I currently get whatever is on sale (this was $89 for a slab) but getting better now at finding out what to actually look out for instead of going solely on price. I think I saw 71/2 and 8 shot for $110-$120 a slab (Winchester AA) and avoided it previously.

I consequently focused on the speed 1250-1290fps and the 28gr and thought 1oz was about right to match the lead I’m was used to giving it .. but will look for the 71/2 next time :thumbsup:

Also, I might revisit our earlier discussions via PM if you’ve still got it and interested? I want to experiment with left hand first but I think I know a lot more about the purpose of things this time around.

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 8:20 pm

Not a prob Mick, I think the clay target type ammo has a slightly diff wad (don't quote me on it) but I think that's slightly different too. I don't mind the Lite versions either, they seem to work well too. I've never bothered changing from 7.5 to 8's in the different barrels (never had a need) most of the time the first shot does the job fine and I just drop another shell in when I move down the line. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 8:47 pm

This is what I run in mine most of the time
http://www.berettaaustralia.com.au/ammu ... ition-line
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rookie » 21 Mar 2019, 9:32 pm

Thanks Scott,

I found it available at one of the shops near me at $15 per 25. No price for a slab: https://safarifirearms.com.au/rc2-compe ... 5-1250fps/ - a little pricey maybe and if I find I like it that might not be a good thing to the budget :lol: ..

Closer to the range they don’t have it but I’m thinking about getting this (looks like 8 shot):

WINCHESTER SUPER TARGET 1250FPS 12GA 28GM 250PKT
$95.00
https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... kt/product

I’d like to standardise on 1250fps as I think it’s a speed u can get in a lot of brands.

Can’t wait to go for a shoot now :D bet u do too :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2019, 10:09 pm

rookie wrote:Thanks Scott,

I found it available at one of the shops near me at $15 per 25. No price for a slab: https://safarifirearms.com.au/rc2-compe ... 5-1250fps/ - a little pricey maybe and if I find I like it that might not be a good thing to the budget :lol: ..

Closer to the range they don’t have it but I’m thinking about getting this (looks like 8 shot):

WINCHESTER SUPER TARGET 1250FPS 12GA 28GM 250PKT
$95.00
https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... kt/product

I’d like to standardise on 1250fps as I think it’s a speed u can get in a lot of brands.

Can’t wait to go for a shoot now :D bet u do too :thumbsup:

That should do the job mate, I'm amazed at the prices for ammo now :wtf: It's been about 4 or 5yrs since I bought any and I think I've got 8 boxes left :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mattraff » 22 Mar 2019, 6:49 pm

You can do eye exercises to correct eye dominance issues, I went to a sports optometrist who helped me out many years ago.

As far as trap loads go most use 28g of 7.5 doing about 1250fps for the bottom barrel and 7's in the top perhaps a little hotter at 1300fps. Some use 8's in the bottom but if you just started out with 7.5 in both barrels you would be fine. Find a load you like and stick with it. Anything that uses Vectan powder will be the most comfortable to shoot.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rookie » 25 Mar 2019, 8:54 am

Thanks guys,

I’m along the same lines of thinking - starting with 7.5shot 28gr 1250fps in both barrels is going to be the go. Winchester seems consistently available, so will go with that.

Also reporting back on the shooting left hand experience.

Some background: whilst having a discussion with some range officers and getting on the subject of eye dominance, they said because I’m just starting out that I should give left handed shooting a go

So squeezed in a couple of rounds over the weekend and confirmed the obvious. What they failed to take into account (and I may have misunderstood that they were talking about rifles) is that with smashing clays it’s not only your eyes that shoot (and they would suggest also trigger technique). I found being right handed, right footed and my posture were all telling me to shoot the other way. And I quickly formed the opinion “why try to change (3 variables) my right handedness, right footedness and natural inclination for only a single variable (my eye preference)”

So, gone down to specsavers and ordered some glasses :D I have a minor prescription to help out my right eye and will work on it from it there.

Last step now .. finally buying .. I’ve found that I actually prefer a trap setup. Visually I like seeing the target above the barrel as opposed to covering it (as I strive for with a Sporter).

Speaking with a mate who shoots a Sporter well, he says he keeps the target above the barrel but I see that he mounts the stock lower on his cheek than I do.

Are the only real differences between a trap and a Sporter setup:

1. Trap might be setup a little heavier towards the barrel
2. Stock has less heal drop

Just checking if I am missing anything?

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.