20g slugs. Accuracy, effectiveness, range.

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: 20g slugs. Accuracy, effectiveness, range.

Post by Archie » 18 Feb 2019, 2:26 pm

Blazer make some really nice looking combination rifles but for what they charge you could probably pay someone to caddy all your rifles around the forest behind you for a couple of years.

Also looked up caliber adapters but not sure they're legal in Australia and even if they are, the reviews I saw weren't great.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 18 Feb 2019, 2:56 pm

Archie wrote:Blazer make some really nice looking combination rifles but for what they charge you could probably pay someone to caddy all your rifles around the forest behind you for a couple of years.

Also looked up caliber adapters but not sure they're legal in Australia and even if they are, the reviews I saw weren't great.

You're not kidding about the Blaser pricetag definitely out of my league. A caddy may just be in the pricerange before long though. My nephew's about a year short of a juniors permit. Perhaps I need to consider taking on an apprentice (read gunbearer)

The calibre conversions are legal but they only have 4 for the 20g. the only one of interest really was the .357 and if I could be sure it was a step up in accuracy and energy from the slugs it might just do the trick (its only an 8in barrel mind you). Problem is we would then be edging towards $900 territory for a bit of a jack of all trades tool.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 19 Feb 2019, 12:38 am

sabots are for rifled shot guns my son has a calier conversion his is not rifled a groups are not that good is the one you are looking at.
you will find a 20g will put a large hole threw what ever you want a 7/8 ounce slug will be going about 1700fps a 357 with a 158 grain will be going about 1300fps a 20g will put much more energy out.
keep in mind from what i under stand you are looking for a gun the will do a mix of things from small game to big game with the 22 and 20g you can have slugs bird shot and 22s.that will do what ever you want the one thing i do no is us as out doors typs we tend to have our ideas of what is best if this is what you are looking for give it a try.
i no guys that hunt with single shot shot guns they can shoot what ever they see deer rabbits and birds.
i
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by duncan61 » 19 Feb 2019, 8:54 pm

The Hornady SST slugs look like the business
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 20 Feb 2019, 2:32 am

the hornady sst slugs are real good they are made for rifled barrels they will give you 45/70 energy down range and cost about 4 times what rifled slugs cost if you shoot them from a smoth bore make sure they print good
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.