Browning 525 Sporter 1 Inv. Plus vs Beretta SP 686 Sporter

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Browning 525 Sporter 1 Inv. Plus vs Beretta SP 686 Sporter

Post by bah » 09 Mar 2019, 5:24 pm

Hi there,

I'm in the process of choosing between a B525 Sporter 1 (Invector Plus version) in 32" over the Beretta SP 686 Sporter. I know a lot of the information online would indicate that it really is just personal preference/how the gun feels, however I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone out there could lend me some advice I may not have considered yet. I want to get involved in skeet/clay shooting competitions without overcommitting financially, and both of these shotguns are in my price range. I also like the flexibility of the sporter over the trap models.

From what I've read it would seem that the B525 Sporter 1 would suit my build a little bit better, so my next question is as to whether it is better to purchase the 30" or 32" model. I like the idea of having something heavier in the barrel that will make it easier to guide/follow through, however I am not sure whether the additional length would really count considering the stock would have already been balanced regardless.

Cheers

:drinks:
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Browning 525 Sporter 1 Inv. Plus vs Beretta SP 686 Sport

Post by Bent Arrow » 09 Mar 2019, 8:14 pm

I feel your pain, I just went through the agony of deciding what to buy, but I had to buy a shotgun for my son as well.......

The advice I got through the coaches at the club where we shoot is that if you want to shoot skeet, don't get a 32" barrel. You need to be a big frame person to manage a 32" well, and they are better suited to shooting Olympic trap or DTL.

Buy what feels right on your shoulder. I was all set to buy a beretta SP1, but the miroku MK10 just felt more comfortable. Ask around at your club, in my experience most members are more than happy to let you shoot a couple of rounds with their guns if you are trying to decide what to lay your money down on.

Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Browning 525 Sporter 1 Inv. Plus vs Beretta SP 686 Sport

Post by bah » 16 Mar 2019, 10:56 am

From all the reviews I’ve read online, that looks to be the best approach. Have a hold and gauge how they sit on the shoulder and handle. I’m based in Brisbane - are there any stores you know off the top of your head that stock that these types of sporters in those brands? I’ve had a look online and can’t seem to find anywhere that has them in stock, they’re all ‘available to order’ or ‘on backorder’.

Cheers
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.