2 3/4 inch V 3 inch shells

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

2 3/4 inch V 3 inch shells

Post by ToyotaBoy » 17 Mar 2019, 9:02 pm

Someone please educate me......I've always used the standard 2 3/4 inch shotgun shells all my hunting life.
I'm thinking i might try these 3 inch shells during the vic duck season.
Ive always used shot size 4.
Whats the difference apart from the extra 1/4 inch?
Whats the advantages and disadvantages of using the 3 inch shell?
Is it more powder or shot or both?
Anyone got a chart that shows the pellet count in the shells ive mention as well please.

Happy hunting people's
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 2 3/4 inch V 3 inch shells

Post by Gaznazdiak » 17 Mar 2019, 10:25 pm

I have often wondered that myself.
Now we both know.
:drinks:

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/shotgun- ... un-shells/
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Mar 2019, 7:18 am

Make sure your SHOULDER is chambered to take 3 inch shells lol.
Also - although my old bakail was chambered to take 3”, My shotty was/is not the same after half a dozen magnum shells...I’ll only shoot the 3” in newer shotguns now.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2019, 7:34 am

TassieTiger wrote:Make sure your SHOULDER is chambered to take 3 inch shells lol.
Also - although my old bakail was chambered to take 3”, My shotty was/is not the same after half a dozen magnum shells...I’ll only shoot the 3” in newer shotguns now.

Yep not all shotties take a 3inch shell.!! :thumbsup: :drinks: (I did post earlier but somehow deleted it :lol: :drinks: )
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 19 Mar 2019, 7:30 pm

3 inch shells really don't apply in Australian conditions. They were made for shooting high geese in the northern hemisphere. When I lived in the USA I also shot a 10 gauge goose gun, yeah not fun but reaches up to the high altitude of migrating geese.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 20 Mar 2019, 4:57 am

All they do is increase the payload of shot. There is some argument that once you get above what's considered a square load of shot,the patterns get worse because the shot gets deformed. I must admit,when patterning very heavy shot loads in the past they have been no where near as good as expected considering all the extra shot in them
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 17 Apr 2019, 7:36 pm

As others said they increase the maximum possible shotload or can drive a similar shotload faster. That said some 2 3/4" heavily loaded shells can equal some lighter loaded 3" shells. You need to check the specs for what you are after. The heaviest factory payloads for birdshot I have seen in 3" are around 1 7/8oz so its pushing about 65% more shot than a 'normal' 2 3/4". The US 15 pellet x 00 buck(roughly the same pellet size as 00/SG, about 55 grains each) runs in at about 1.88 ounces so its even heavier. I haven't used birdshot sizes in 3" but liked the buckshot for pigs( especially when we were stuck with doubles before all the lever actions turned up) and also the 1/ 7/8 in BB were pretty good for smaller stuff. You can special order any American 3" shells you can't find through Raytrade( Remington) or Winchester Australia. They usually want a minimum order of a case and you will have to wait until they ship. The next size up is 3.5" which some shotguns are chambered for. This gets payloads up to 2 1/4 ounces, very similar to 10 guage. They also have an 18x OO buck load for it, basically double the normal 00/SG payload. These start to kick like a 375H&H out of light shotguns.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.