DTL trap shooting question

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

DTL trap shooting question

Post by CrackThump » 25 Mar 2019, 7:47 pm

Its a simple one for the brains trust..

When Im shooting DTL, Do I mount my gun and then call for a bird, or do I have to call for the bird and THEN mount and shoot.? or does it not matter..?

Ive only shot DTL twice, and as a newbie I kinda felt that if I was doing it wrong, theyre not pulling me up on it because Im new and learning.

Thanks in advance. :)
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: DTL trap shooting question

Post by Tillaan » 25 Mar 2019, 7:59 pm

I mount my gun and then call for a bird
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 25 Mar 2019, 8:02 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Tillaan..... this has been doing my head in all day :P and google was no help
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2019, 8:06 pm

CrackThump wrote:Its a simple one for the brains trust..

When Im shooting DTL, Do I mount my gun and then call for a bird, or do I have to call for the bird and THEN mount and shoot.? or does it not matter..?

Ive only shot DTL twice, and as a newbie I kinda felt that if I was doing it wrong, theyre not pulling me up on it because Im new and learning.

Thanks in advance. :)

Is there a rulebook?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2019, 8:08 pm

Attachments
DTL Rules.JPG
DTL Rules.JPG (88.42 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 25 Mar 2019, 8:11 pm

Wow.. .ok, so off the shoulder until the target appears, and if the target doesnt appear within 3 seconds I get to call another one...

Cheers Bladeracer. :)
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by rookie » 25 Mar 2019, 8:12 pm

CrackThump wrote:When Im shooting DTL, Do I mount my gun and then call for a bird, or do I have to call for the bird and THEN mount and shoot.? or does it not matter..?

Warning, I’m a newbie and might not be the best to answer :lol:

I mount, call for the bird, then shoot - I believe in competition you’ve got 10 seconds to call for the bird from when the previous shooter has a shot but that’s about it?

You might be getting mixed up with the rules for Olympic Skeet?

Olympic skeet utilises the same ground as Standard Skeet. The rules are different in that the gun must start at the shooter's hip and only when the target is released brought into the shoulder.
There is 0-3 second delay from the time the target is called until it is released and the involves less singles and more doubles to make a round of 25 targets.

I believe they have a line on their vest around elbow height and they’ve got to keep part of the toe of the gun touching a part of their body below this line with the barrel pointed down until the bird is called for ..?

Happy shooting!
Last edited by rookie on 25 Mar 2019, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Mar 2019, 8:38 pm

Nup Mount the gun and when ya ready call pull! The people at your club will help you through all that stuff anyway mate so just speak to the president or one of the other senior people there who help run things and they will walk you through it all and get you heading in the right direction.

Enjoy it mate, it's a lot of fun and don't panic if you can't hit s**t, they will help fine tune what you are doing and get you smashing em soon enough I'm sure. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 25 Mar 2019, 11:02 pm

At club level it is fine to have the shotgun on your shoulder then call.The only requirement I know is not to close the action till its your turn.If you close up before your turn you should get a warning.I find clay to be an aggressive sport and I have the shotgun in my shoulder but pointing at the ground about 50 metres away and when the clay enters view I swing up behind it and chase it and release as I am going past trying to lay a string across its path.You wont vaporise them but if it breaks at all its a hit.I find when the clay is launched very high you can predict when it will stall in the air and I actually aim at the point where I think this is going to happen and If I get it right the clay will turn to dust as its patterned by a lot of shot.I find longer ranges to be easier and use 4 shot and full choke when they are going away and I let them get away and again try to predict where the apex of their flight is and let go.It spins some people out because they think you are not going to take the shot then you bust it up 50-60 metres away.Trap or skeet with 2 targets going across the front at 35 metres is my weakest and I only get half yet some guys love it and break every clay but cant hit the long bird.I have never done tower shooting but it looks to be a hoot
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2019, 3:25 pm

I haven't shot clays since I was a kid in Army Cadets, but I did enjoy it, and I'd like to get into again. But until I can try out a muzzle brake my shoulder makes shotgun competition impossible.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Mar 2019, 3:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:I haven't shot clays since I was a kid in Army Cadets, but I did enjoy it, and I'd like to get into again. But until I can try out a muzzle brake my shoulder makes shotgun competition impossible.

How about using the other shoulder ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2019, 4:07 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I haven't shot clays since I was a kid in Army Cadets, but I did enjoy it, and I'd like to get into again. But until I can try out a muzzle brake my shoulder makes shotgun competition impossible.

How about using the other shoulder ?

Been practicing with that but with poor results. Simply shooting is not to bad, but having to pull the gun up and find a sight picture is a struggle, I just don't have any left-side dexterity with longarms.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rookie » 26 Mar 2019, 4:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:.. until I can try out a muzzle brake my shoulder makes shotgun competition impossible.

Have u tried ported barrels and ported chokes? ... from what I’ve read most shooters don’t feel the difference in them :| .. not sure if it’s an option for u Bladeracer?
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Mar 2019, 5:19 pm

Might be eligible for semi auto if you have medical reasons.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2019, 5:24 pm

rookie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:.. until I can try out a muzzle brake my shoulder makes shotgun competition impossible.

Have u tried ported barrels and ported chokes? ... from what I’ve read most shooters don’t feel the difference in them :| .. not sure if it’s an option for u Bladeracer?

I haven't tried them, but from what I've read they're more about controlling the muzzle rather than mitigating recoil.
I'm indexing a new brake on the M38 Swede so I think I'll talk to Gunbloke about a shotgun brake, he does some lovely work. I have at least three of his brakes so far.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2019, 5:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Might be eligible for semi auto if you have medical reasons.

Yes, I could certainly get that, but as I don't shoot any competition it'd just be an annoying hassle :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Mar 2019, 6:07 pm

rookie wrote:

I've got a shotgun with ported barrels, to be completely honest I can't tell the difference in recoil, the muzzle might climb a little less but there's not much in it.

If I was to swap shoulders I doubt I'd do well. It'll definitely take A LOT of practice.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mattraff » 28 Mar 2019, 2:02 pm

Shooting DTL you must mount the gun before calling if shooting sporting or skeet it is fine not to mount. While shooting competition trap you will be disqualified for shooting gun down.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Mar 2019, 2:43 pm

.22 DTL is a sport in the making lol. Not a lot of competitors at the moment...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 28 Mar 2019, 2:50 pm

TassieTiger wrote:.22 DTL is a sport in the making lol. Not a lot of competitors at the moment...

Using dust shot or bullets?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 28 Mar 2019, 3:31 pm

Porting won't do much for recoil, it's primary purpose is to reduce muzzle jump. Lengthening the forcing cones and back boring will reduce recoil and improve shot parents. Gun fit is also extremely important in spreading recoil and there are low recoil loads available for trap. The current crop of quality shotguns will have barrels designed to reduce recoil.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Mar 2019, 6:12 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:.22 DTL is a sport in the making lol. Not a lot of competitors at the moment...

Bullets! I’ve seen one hit amongst a LOT of attempts. In fact - the one hit I did see, may have been a delayed clay failure - but claimed as a hit nonetheless lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 28 Mar 2019, 6:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Bullets! I’ve seen one hit amongst a LOT of attempts. In fact - the one hit I did see, may have been a delayed clay failure - but claimed as a hit nonetheless lol

I can't see that gathering much interest :-)
Running Bore competition would be fun though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.