Best chokes for Aya Yoeman with a 1/2 & full choked barrel

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Best chokes for Aya Yoeman with a 1/2 & full choked barrel

Post by Stoney » 06 Apr 2019, 7:36 pm

G'day All, I have just purchased an Aya Yoeman 1967 SxS shotgun in very good condition. It has a 1/2 & Full choked barrel. They were made that way so you could ream them to your requirements. If you had a SxS what would be the best fixed chokes in your opinion?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Aya Yoeman

Post by bigpete » 06 Apr 2019, 8:19 pm

What you have
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stoney » 06 Apr 2019, 8:28 pm

bigpete wrote:What you have

I'm thinking 1/2 , 3/4 would be more versatile?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Apr 2019, 9:38 pm

bigpete wrote:What you have

+1 :thumbsup:

unless you are going to shoot steel shot and the barrels are not made for it the get the full made into a 1/2 choke and you will have no worries :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2019, 1:29 pm

Stoney wrote:G'day All, I have just purchased an Aya Yoeman 1967 SxS shotgun in very good condition. It has a 1/2 & Full choked barrel. They were made that way so you could ream them to your requirements. If you had a SxS what would be the best fixed chokes in your opinion?

I think this is the standard for double guns, half for the close shot you can't miss, full as the bird you missed flies away.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 08 Apr 2019, 7:34 am

Yeah, I think I will just leave it 1/2 & Full. Thanks for the advice fellas.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Best chokes for Aya Yoeman with a 1/2 & full choked barr

Post by Mattraff » 17 Apr 2019, 12:16 pm

Half and full is the standard for a field gun. Choke depends on what you are using it for though, My Trap gun is 3/4 and extra full but my SxS is 1/2 and full. You can have Briley thin wall chokes fitted if you want the versatility of swapping. Just remember though if you open your choke you can't go back.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 22 Apr 2019, 8:21 pm

Stoney,
The AYA Yeoman is a fine, solid, no frills gun and would have been made half and full choked.
If it was mine i would get it eased out to suit 'upland' style game, be it feathered and furred game. i would get the full choke barrel eased out to half - and this have both barrels at half choke. No need to then worry about which trigger to use first and half choke will take all game cleanly out to sensible ranges with the appropriate shot size and load.

Nice guns the AYA - as long as they fit you and you aint looking over the back of the opening lever!!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stoney » 23 Apr 2019, 6:04 pm

solarpak wrote:Stoney,
The AYA Yeoman is a fine, solid, no frills gun and would have been made half and full choked.
If it was mine i would get it eased out to suit 'upland' style game, be it feathered and furred game. i would get the full choke barrel eased out to half - and this have both barrels at half choke. No need to then worry about which trigger to use first and half choke will take all game cleanly out to sensible ranges with the appropriate shot size and load.

Nice guns the AYA - as long as they fit you and you aint looking over the back of the opening lever!!

CK

G'day solarpak, Your right about the AYA mate. It has hand checkering and the stock and fore end are hand fitted even on a standard model as the Yeoman. The Poms rave about them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWRZoWLQAHI
I went out and had a clay shoot with bigrich on Monday. He has a Leige sxs with 1/4 x 1/4. What I noticed was, bigrich hit almost every single clay close in with the 1/4 choke, but, if they got away the second 1/4 choke was not as effective. I tried his gun and it was so easy to bust the close clays every single time using a SxS. So with the AYA I was getting not as many early or short range clays perhaps because of the 1/2 choke, but, if I had to use the FULL it often cleaned it up but not always. So I sat down and had a think. I believe people purchased SxS's with appropriate chokes for their local hunting or a gun choked for specific hunting. If you were say hunting quail you may use a 1/4 x 1/4 or if you waterfowled over big water perhaps even FULL x FULL, pheasants 1/4 x 1/2 or 1/2 x 3/4. The AYA came from factory 1/2 x FULL so the owner could rebore if they so desired. Unless under specific hunting using a specific gun I don't see the advantage of both barrels having the same choke. You fire the first barrel and the game, feathered or furred hits the afterburners to get the hell away so a tighter second choke helps to reach out further. So in thinking of a more versatile combination to cover most situations I was thinking 1/2 x 3/4 or perhaps better 1/4 x 1/2. Anywho, that's my thoughts. Cheers.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 27 Apr 2019, 10:34 pm

Stoney,
1/4 and 1/2 would be very sweet - and that would work for everything - just change your shotshells to suit your application.

I personally shoot a miroku Mk 10 o/u with Light Mod & Mod - thus my preference for Mod & Mod (1/2 & 1/2) .........but the good ol quarter and half has been there and done that for all game and clay shooting ..........with results to prove its effectiveness.

Cheers
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.