Where to pattern a shotgun (sort of) in Sydney.

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Where to pattern a shotgun (sort of) in Sydney.

Post by GojiraSteve » 09 Apr 2019, 10:24 am

Hey Boys,

So I recently dropped some $$$ on a Savage 24 in 22lr over 20g with the intention of hunting pigs/deer/goats using slugs.

But does anyone know offhand a Sydney range that will let me fire slugs to check the barrel regulation?
While I haven't called them all it seems like the most of the rifle ranges won't touch them, while the shotgun ones are only equipped for clay shooting with no facility for "patterning".
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Where to pattern a shotgun (sort of) in Sydney.

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2019, 6:26 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:Hey Boys,

So I recently dropped some $$$ on a Savage 24 in 22lr over 20g with the intention of hunting pigs/deer/goats using slugs.

But does anyone know offhand a Sydney range that will let me fire slugs to check the barrel regulation?
While I haven't called them all it seems like the most of the rifle ranges won't touch them, while the shotgun ones are only equipped for clay shooting with no facility for "patterning".

That's a quandary. There must be rifle ranges that allow you to group slugs. I doubt many shotgun ranges would allow slugs or .22LR.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 09 Apr 2019, 9:30 pm

In my limited experience most clay clubs will let you pattern your gun, it's pretty important to know what you gun is doing, but will not let you shoot slugs as it wouldn't comply with their range template
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Apr 2019, 9:39 pm

There should be plenty of corrugated iron fences in the suburbs, they work great. :sarcasm:

Where I live, people seem to be using the road signs to pattern their shotguns.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Apr 2019, 10:00 am

on_one_wheel wrote:There should be plenty of corrugated iron fences in the suburbs, they work great. :sarcasm:

Where I live, people seem to be using the road signs to pattern their shotguns.

:lol: :lol: spot on, to the OP just get something that you can shoot at (say a 1m x 1m sheet of tin, timber etc) and shoot a couple of shots at it when you are on your hunting property - this s**t ain't rocket science after all, just keep it simple hey. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GojiraSteve » 10 Apr 2019, 10:44 am

bigfellascott wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
:lol: :lol: spot on, to the OP just get something that you can shoot at (say a 1m x 1m sheet of tin, timber etc) and shoot a couple of shots at it when you are on your hunting property - this s**t ain't rocket science after all, just keep it simple hey. :drinks:

It would be simple, if I had any private property access. For now I'm limited to State Forest (NSW). Where even sighting in is illegal. :unknown:

Mind you if any charitable folks wanted to let me on for a shot, I'm more than happy to trade a case of beer/pair of hands/brace of dressed rabbits for the privilege.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 10 Apr 2019, 11:39 am

Have you tried Silverdale? Also, if you have your 'R' license then hit the forest and go for it.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 10 Apr 2019, 1:16 pm

brett1868 wrote:Have you tried Silverdale? Also, if you have your 'R' license then hit the forest and go for it.

Silverdale might be a goer. I thought the calibre restriction would get me but based on the website it might be okay given the retained energy at 200m is under 3000ft lbs.

R-Licence I have, but until they let you sight in, in the forest I'm stuck needing a range.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.