Shotgun Pattern Sheets

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Shotgun Pattern Sheets

Post by Stoney » 09 Apr 2019, 5:22 pm

G'day All, would any of you know where I can purchase proper shotgun pattern sheets such as in the pic? Good quality, reasonable price and in Australia? Cheers.
Attachments
cartridge_pattern_at_30_yards1.jpg
cartridge_pattern_at_30_yards1.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Shotgun Pattern Sheets

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2019, 6:18 pm

Stoney wrote:G'day All, would any of you know where I can purchase proper shotgun pattern sheets such as in the pic? Good quality, reasonable price and in Australia? Cheers.

I just tape up A3 paper.
Four sheets is 600mm wide by 840mm high. Six sheets give you 900mm by 840mm, Eight give you 1260mm by 900mm.
A ream of paper and a roll of Magic Tape is probably under $20 and gives you an awful lot of shooting.
Otherwise, Ebay or Amazon.
Or take that picture to Officeworks and ask them to run you off some prints sectioned on A3 paper. Or they'll even print them for you up to A0 - 840mm by 1190mm for $9.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/Print-And-Copy/Black-And-White-Posters

They also do a 45m roll of paper over a meter wide for $50.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 09 Apr 2019, 7:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stoney wrote:G'day All, would any of you know where I can purchase proper shotgun pattern sheets such as in the pic? Good quality, reasonable price and in Australia? Cheers.

I just tape up A3 paper.
Four sheets is 600mm wide by 840mm high. Six sheets give you 900mm by 840mm, Eight give you 1260mm by 900mm.
A ream of paper and a roll of Magic Tape is probably under $20 and gives you an awful lot of shooting.
Otherwise, Ebay or Amazon.
Or take that picture to Officeworks and ask them to run you off some prints sectioned on A3 paper. Or they'll even print them for you up to A0 - 840mm by 1190mm for $9.
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/Print-And-Copy/Black-And-White-Posters

They also do a 45m roll of paper over a meter wide for $50.

Good on ya blade I knew you would have a good answer. Cheers mate.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2019, 7:39 pm

Stoney wrote:Good on ya blade I knew you would have a good answer. Cheers mate.

I have had a look for pre-printed pattern analysis targets but haven't found any.
All you need is an aiming mark on a blank sheet. Fire the shot, and then mark out the quadrants and count the holes.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Apr 2019, 9:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stoney wrote:Good on ya blade I knew you would have a good answer. Cheers mate.

I have had a look for pre-printed pattern analysis targets but haven't found any.
All you need is an aiming mark on a blank sheet. Fire the shot, and then mark out the quadrants and count the holes.

Thats pretty much what i did years ago. At the time butchers paper was the way to go.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Apr 2019, 9:29 pm

Speak to your butcher, he'll have big sheets of paper... at least they use to.

For backing, a big sheet of coreflute from a pallet is a perfect size, a trucking deppo should be able to help you find some.
The coreflute will stop the thin paper from tearing and will give you perfect little holes.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2019, 9:46 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Speak to your butcher, he'll have big sheets of paper... at least they use to.

For backing, a big sheet of coreflute from a pallet is a perfect size, a trucking deppo should be able to help you find some.
The coreflute will stop the thin paper from tearing and will give you perfect little holes.

Also, printing places and community newspapers often sell part rolls.
I don't like Coreflute as it leaves pieces of plastic around, MDF is a lot cheaper and turns to harmless pulp. For patterning shot I don't bother with a backing board unless it's windy.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Apr 2019, 9:17 am

What's the point of it? how does it all work? We just used a bit of thin metal sheeting, marked a aiming mark on it and fired a shot, worked out where the majority of pellets were above, below or 50/50 and that told us whether we needed to adjust the comb up or down, left or right. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2019, 2:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What's the point of it? how does it all work? We just used a bit of thin metal sheeting, marked a aiming mark on it and fired a shot, worked out where the majority of pellets were above, below or 50/50 and that told us whether we needed to adjust the comb up or down, left or right. :unknown:

That's all I do too, but some people like to count lots of little holes and assign numbers to various parts of the pattern. It's probably more import for shooting at small targets at longer ranges, like clays?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Apr 2019, 2:36 pm

Those big real estate signs that are held in by star droppers - cheap plastic and very light. The ones that say sold are easier to use as ppl don’t give a rats then lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stoney » 10 Apr 2019, 4:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What's the point of it? how does it all work? We just used a bit of thin metal sheeting, marked a aiming mark on it and fired a shot, worked out where the majority of pellets were above, below or 50/50 and that told us whether we needed to adjust the comb up or down, left or right. :unknown:

That's all I do too, but some people like to count lots of little holes and assign numbers to various parts of the pattern. It's probably more import for shooting at small targets at longer ranges, like clays?

That's exactly what and why I want to do it blade. :D I have a 67 Aya SxS I want to see where it shoots and how it patterns for the field. But also, more importantly, I have a Miruko trap/sporter with a very tight top barrel ( Invector + chokes ) 1/2 shoots more like 3/4. So I need to do some investigation. I managed to get into Officeworks today and buy a 10m roll of butchers paper for $4 and two black markers for $3 :thumbsup: cheap as chips, although I would honestly prefer the targets I posted above. I might ask Office works how much to print them to my specs. Cheers fellas for your imput and advice.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Apr 2019, 6:46 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Those big real estate signs that are held in by star droppers - cheap plastic and very light. The ones that say sold are easier to use as ppl don’t give a rats then lol

Just wait for the next election, there will be heaps with wankers heads on em we can get for nothing :lol:

I'm still using the ones that were left behind from the last election.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Apr 2019, 6:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Nah none of that craps needed, all you need to know is where are the majority of pellets going in relation to the POA. most will be 2/3 higher than the POA usually or 50/50 - I think 60/40 or there about is the prefered (don't quote me on it as it's been quite a while) people seem to like to overcomplicate things for some reason :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 11 Apr 2019, 12:56 am

I used cardboard years ago and it really helped hunting with my greener knowing where my shot pattern was with 4 shot.I learned that I should point under rabbits at close range and over when they were out a bit.I collected a lot of bunnies at 50-60 yards that had no mark on them but were dead as.The full choke on the greener probably helped a lot.Most fellow hunters were surprised at the distance I could get rabbits at.Mountain ducks however would just shake there wings and fly off
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2019, 7:06 pm

Just a thought, wall paper?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.