Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 9:11 am

trekin wrote:To put your mind at ease, Tas, the internals are not the only part that defines function. The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. A straight pull requires you to move the hand with your trigger finger away from the trigger to cycle the handle, a pump does not. A pump action can be slam fired, a straight pull can not. As very nearly all so called straight pul shotties here have spring assised return to battery, then to do as OM has done would also require some modification to the internals.
I would suggest OM is at best, a backyard smith (illegally), trying to drum up business, or at worst, an undercover cop trying to make the lie about LAFOs being the problem into some half arsed truth.

Ahhh. I see. " The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. " - this answers everything and screws my artificial argument right in the keister...Cheers.
I looked at a straight pull a while back that allowed for the pull button to be swapped from left to right by screwing in/out the handle. I am right handed, and with the bolt changed to the left side, I could quite easily hold / operate the 12g with finger on the trigger, sighted at target, with left hand continuing to cycle the action...ie very little difference to a pump.

I honestly dont know whom he was - he simply over heard me talking about pumps, levers and straight pulls...I was a little shocked to be honest when he said he wanted to show me something...he could have asked me out for a coffee first and I would have been his, but to just ask me over to his boot like that ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 17 May 2019, 9:24 am

TassieTiger wrote:
trekin wrote:To put your mind at ease, Tas, the internals are not the only part that defines function. The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. A straight pull requires you to move the hand with your trigger finger away from the trigger to cycle the handle, a pump does not. A pump action can be slam fired, a straight pull can not. As very nearly all so called straight pul shotties here have spring assised return to battery, then to do as OM has done would also require some modification to the internals.
I would suggest OM is at best, a backyard smith (illegally), trying to drum up business, or at worst, an undercover cop trying to make the lie about LAFOs being the problem into some half arsed truth.

Ahhh. I see. " The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. " - this answers everything and screws my artificial argument right in the keister...Cheers.
I looked at a straight pull a while back that allowed for the pull button to be swapped from left to right by screwing in/out the handle. I am right handed, and with the bolt changed to the left side, I could quite easily hold / operate the 12g with finger on the trigger, sighted at target, with left hand continuing to cycle the action...ie very little difference to a pump.

I honestly dont know whom he was - he simply over heard me talking about pumps, levers and straight pulls...I was a little shocked to be honest when he said he wanted to show me something...he could have asked me out for a coffee first and I would have been his, but to just ask me over to his boot like that ?

Glad to of some help. Did you by chance happen to fire said firearm with the swapable handle, particualy multiple rounds as fast as possible?
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 10:03 am

trekin wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

Glad to of some help. Did you by chance happen to fire said firearm with the swapable handle, particualy multiple rounds as fast as possible?

I didn't personally shoot the shottie, cycling a full mag - the person showing me was at the clay club where such things as rapid fire is frowned upon, but I did shoot a couple of rounds to actually see if it could be held in position whilst cycling, thus my comments. I think anyone of reasonable size could do likewise.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2019, 10:56 am

TassieTiger wrote:I should ring firearms and get their official position...would be interesting.
Lay your bets gentlemen

I'm sure they will tell you when they call over for a chat. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2019, 11:02 am

TassieTiger wrote:

They will be able to work out who he is by speaking to those at the gunshop who spoke to him and via video security cameras in the shop, they just need you to tell them which shop and persons you spoke too and what was said. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 11:06 am

bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

They will be able to work out who he is by speaking to those at the gunshop who spoke to him and via video security cameras in the shop, they just need you to tell them which shop and persons you spoke too and what was said. :D

It's Tassie mate - they already know...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 17 May 2019, 12:02 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

It's Tassie mate - they already know...

More than likely related anyways. :drinks:
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 12:13 pm

Works for the Targeryans....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cracker » 17 May 2019, 7:09 pm

devil is in the detail, slam fire shotguns are hard to find and totally suck in application (my opinion) but i love the concept... saying that a guy at my club is a demon on his model 12 winchester slam firing.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 18 May 2019, 4:09 am

That push button is going to be interesting...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by deanp100 » 23 May 2019, 7:47 am

It’s very simple if you buy the right brand. You don’t have to modify anything . A gun shop showed me as well.
I am actually surprised the word isn’t out there a bit more.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 23 May 2019, 1:09 pm

I think I know what your talking about - I too am surprised that someone hasn’t bought it up here....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cracker » 23 May 2019, 8:46 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I think I know what your talking about - I too am surprised that someone hasn’t bought it up here....

iv heard that some straight pulls have been faulty and will actually eject spent shells.
Last edited by cracker on 25 May 2019, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 23 May 2019, 9:19 pm

Yep. Bastard when they fail like that...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 24 May 2019, 7:49 pm

Unless we are trying to get straight pull shotguns banned I would delete this thread admin
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 May 2019, 9:21 pm

flutch wrote:Unless we are trying to get straight pull shotguns banned I would delete this thread admin

That's nothing ... wait until they hear how we've been turning bolt action rimfire .22 rifles into full auto military style machine guns with a few rubber bands and some sticky tape!
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2019, 7:40 am

flutch wrote:Unless we are trying to get straight pull shotguns banned I would delete this thread admin

I reckon Tassie will be on their watch list for sure after all the illegal stuff he's been talking about here. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 8:34 am

Oh BFS...I was on the watch list a LONG time ago...for thing I cant even bring myself to type lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 8:40 am

[quote="flutch"]Unless we are trying to get straight pull shotguns banned I would delete this thread admin[/quote)

Admin can make yo their own minds...I won’t be offended either way but no one has given technical instruction, no one has confirmed anything - there is nothing illegal about calling a criminal an idiot for modifying something he shouldn’t have and if you think a message on a forum will add weight to banning something - then I ask please, show me the evidence as to where this has occurred / referenced previously?
I would have said it’s a free country but after seeing the video someone put up RE a journalist being declined to walk a Sydney street....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2019, 10:04 am

TassieTiger wrote:Oh BFS...I was on the watch list a LONG time ago...for thing I cant even bring myself to type lol

That wouldn't surprise me at all Tassie :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 10:22 am

bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Oh BFS...I was on the watch list a LONG time ago...for thing I cant even bring myself to type lol

Hey! ?!? :D :friends:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2019, 12:21 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Hey! ?!? :D :friends:

:D :sarcasm: :friends:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by John » 12 Apr 2020, 9:03 am

Definitely not A gray area or on the positive side on it in my opinion not worth the risk of loosing your licence over
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by womble » 12 Apr 2020, 2:35 pm

Having owned both straight pull and pump, in a practical sense I actually preferred the straight pull..
Both can have the occasional feeding issues. Both are a bit crap. I’d probably give it to the straight pull for more rugged and chuckable.
But I never really liked the rattly loosish purchase with the forearm on the pump and the straight pull for me at least feels like I can keep my bead on the target easier for a follow up shot.
In all honesty I think both designs are a bit crap and I no longer own neither, having saved my coin for a decent under over with ejectors.
If you own the firearm as a tool, ie licensed shooter, hunting, pest control, I can't see any advantage in a pump action over a straight pull, nor any reason for them to be banned in cat A/b. and I’m pretty sure no-one knows why they are.

As for the mentions of some straight pulls that keep feeding, I think we’ve all heard that urban myth. If it’s doing that or partially doing that ,it’s not working safely and is cause for concern.
Semi automatic shotguns function entirely differently to straight pulls. You have gasses ported from the barrel to operate a piston that feeds and ejects. It’s a very different design and you cannot simply mod a straight pull to operate like so.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Crazy » 13 Apr 2020, 4:02 pm

While it may not be the best of ideas to go and add forward cocking to your straight pull shotgun something i saw and found very interesting was that iceng created a pump for the Warwick straight pull rifle and according to Warwick at Shotshow Melb it doesn't change the category of the rifle from a straight pull to pump which really wouldn't matter because it would still remain a category B anyway. There are also straight pull shotguns such as the Adler which allow you to swap which side you can cock the shotgun from so you could be a right handed shooter and use the left side for cocking while keeping your finger on the trigger. I myself am not willing to go and do it but I'm of the belief that it is at least a grey area not illegal.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Apr 2020, 5:16 pm

womble wrote:Having owned both straight pull and pump, in a practical sense I actually preferred the straight pull..
Both can have the occasional feeding issues. Both are a bit crap. I’d probably give it to the straight pull for more rugged and chuckable.
But I never really liked the rattly loosish purchase with the forearm on the pump and the straight pull for me at least feels like I can keep my bead on the target easier for a follow up shot.
In all honesty I think both designs are a bit crap and I no longer own neither, having saved my coin for a decent under over with ejectors.
If you own the firearm as a tool, ie licensed shooter, hunting, pest control, I can't see any advantage in a pump action over a straight pull, nor any reason for them to be banned in cat A/b. and I’m pretty sure no-one knows why they are.

As for the mentions of some straight pulls that keep feeding, I think we’ve all heard that urban myth. If it’s doing that or partially doing that ,it’s not working safely and is cause for concern.
Semi automatic shotguns function entirely differently to straight pulls. You have gasses ported from the barrel to operate a piston that feeds and ejects. It’s a very different design and you cannot simply mod a straight pull to operate like so.

That may be the case Womble but there are videos showing straight pulls and the carlisle speed liner being amended to semi auto - obviously illegally in Au but not in other countries.
Just out of curiosity - the recoil from a 12g straight pull clearly pushes back the cocking lever - what is in the mechanism that stops the cocking lever from moving back it’s full length ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.