Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Post by Crazy » 13 Apr 2020, 4:02 pm

While it may not be the best of ideas to go and add forward cocking to your straight pull shotgun something i saw and found very interesting was that iceng created a pump for the Warwick straight pull rifle and according to Warwick at Shotshow Melb it doesn't change the category of the rifle from a straight pull to pump which really wouldn't matter because it would still remain a category B anyway. There are also straight pull shotguns such as the Adler which allow you to swap which side you can cock the shotgun from so you could be a right handed shooter and use the left side for cocking while keeping your finger on the trigger. I myself am not willing to go and do it but I'm of the belief that it is at least a grey area not illegal.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Apr 2020, 5:16 pm

womble wrote:Having owned both straight pull and pump, in a practical sense I actually preferred the straight pull..
Both can have the occasional feeding issues. Both are a bit crap. I’d probably give it to the straight pull for more rugged and chuckable.
But I never really liked the rattly loosish purchase with the forearm on the pump and the straight pull for me at least feels like I can keep my bead on the target easier for a follow up shot.
In all honesty I think both designs are a bit crap and I no longer own neither, having saved my coin for a decent under over with ejectors.
If you own the firearm as a tool, ie licensed shooter, hunting, pest control, I can't see any advantage in a pump action over a straight pull, nor any reason for them to be banned in cat A/b. and I’m pretty sure no-one knows why they are.

As for the mentions of some straight pulls that keep feeding, I think we’ve all heard that urban myth. If it’s doing that or partially doing that ,it’s not working safely and is cause for concern.
Semi automatic shotguns function entirely differently to straight pulls. You have gasses ported from the barrel to operate a piston that feeds and ejects. It’s a very different design and you cannot simply mod a straight pull to operate like so.

That may be the case Womble but there are videos showing straight pulls and the carlisle speed liner being amended to semi auto - obviously illegally in Au but not in other countries.
Just out of curiosity - the recoil from a 12g straight pull clearly pushes back the cocking lever - what is in the mechanism that stops the cocking lever from moving back it’s full length ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.