Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Post by Stix » 16 May 2019, 10:02 pm

cracker wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Neither does a plastic pipe, that pushes against the straight pull lever...the action itself works, exactly the same...

bar the fact you have added a pump forend ?
the basic action of a "straight pull" and a pump gun are basically the same... sorta they are more like a broken semi auto.

Thats not true cracker...!!...apparently if you have a pump you need to navigate through another costly level of govt administration that somehow stops you being a danger to society...
If however you buy a straight pull, which for some actually provides a quicker rate of fire, you will bot be a danger to society... :thumbsup:

Its funny how the manufacturers take the piss out of our laws by modifying a semi auto to a straight pull & negotiate it into the country, but if you (we) did it, it'd be good night nelly & be shipped off in the back of the old wagon to the lock-up with Terrence the Terrorist,,,
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cracker » 16 May 2019, 10:27 pm

Stix wrote:
cracker wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Neither does a plastic pipe, that pushes against the straight pull lever...the action itself works, exactly the same...

bar the fact you have added a pump forend ?
the basic action of a "straight pull" and a pump gun are basically the same... sorta they are more like a broken semi auto.

Thats not true cracker...!!...apparently if you have a pump you need to navigate through another costly level of govt administration that somehow stops you being a danger to society...
If however you buy a straight pull, which for some actually provides a quicker rate of fire, you will bot be a danger to society... :thumbsup:

Its funny how the manufacturers take the piss out of our laws by modifying a semi auto to a straight pull & negotiate it into the country, but if you (we) did it, it'd be good night nelly & be shipped off in the back of the old wagon to the lock-up with Terrence the Terrorist,,,

im not sure how too compare a pump shotgun to a straight pull, iv never used a straight pull and im sure they are fine... but you can empty a pump shot gun very fast.

not really taking the piss out of the laws its actually a very clever way for them to be able to sell a product in australia, that savage leaver release 22lr thing would have never been able to be sold here if the semi auto version was aswell its clever marketing.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 16 May 2019, 10:37 pm

yes. its possible to illegally modify an existing firearm. however,

"The discussion or promotion of illegal activities is prohibited"

per 'enough gun'. i don't know why this thread has been allowed to live this long.

i don't think this discussion helps us in anyway. it will be picked up by muppets who will have no idea and use it for their purposes.

Want a cat C firearm? jump the hoops.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Goose#24 » 16 May 2019, 10:53 pm

I personally think ole mate is crazy to be telling people about his modifications let alone showing people. Especially in hobart of all places, tassie is a small place... it's probably the same person I herd talking to a shop owner about the idea of how easy it would be when he was looking at a straight pull? :?
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 16 May 2019, 11:02 pm

You tell em that when they come stormin through ya door mate, I'm sure they will agree with ya and are only there to tell ya so :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 7:50 am

I posted this up as a discussion point - not a how to, not an agreement with...a discussion point is for education - it’s not illegal.

Regardless of how an action is cycled, if your not changing the true intent of that action - is it illegal? This guy - I think would be done regardless, call it an example of, call it a replication of arms that he may? Not have been licensed for (it’s true he may well have had cat C) but for the purpose of discussion has he really changed the firearms true cycling action ? I’m not 100% sure. If you place a piece of plastic through a lever action to help you cycle the lever, have you modded the action?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2019, 8:06 am

TassieTiger wrote:I posted this up as a discussion point - not a how to, not an agreement with...a discussion point is for education - it’s not illegal.

Regardless of how an action is cycled, if your not changing the true intent of that action - is it illegal? This guy - I think would be done regardless, call it an example of, call it a replication of arms that he may? Not have been licensed for (it’s true he may well have had cat C) but for the purpose of discussion has he really changed the firearms true cycling action ? I’m not 100% sure. If you place a piece of plastic through a lever action to help you cycle the lever, have you modded the action?

You ask em when they show up mate, they will be only too happy to assist in the matter and answer all your questions after you've answered theirs. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 8:09 am

Mate - good coffee calms everyone...trust me :sarcasm:
Once I see the black vans start pulling up, the little robot cameras - I’ll know that “ coffee “ is no longer on the table lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2019, 8:12 am

TassieTiger wrote:Mate - good coffee calms everyone...trust me :sarcasm:
Once I see the black vans start pulling up, the little robot cameras - I’ll know that “ coffee “ is no longer on the table lol

Nah it will be all over the room let alone the table :lol: :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 8:21 am

I should ring firearms and get their official position...would be interesting.
Lay your bets gentlemen
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by FNQ » 17 May 2019, 8:37 am

We all modify guns with rails, scopes, bipods & stocks etc.

Assume this straight pull “enhancer” is removable.

However strapping coke bottles or oil filters etc to barrels is frowned upon.

Personally I wouldn’t do it.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 17 May 2019, 8:42 am

To put your mind at ease, Tas, the internals are not the only part that defines function. The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. A straight pull requires you to move the hand with your trigger finger away from the trigger to cycle the handle, a pump does not. A pump action can be slam fired, a straight pull can not. As very nearly all so called straight pul shotties here have spring assised return to battery, then to do as OM has done would also require some modification to the internals.
I would suggest OM is at best, a backyard smith (illegally), trying to drum up business, or at worst, an undercover cop trying to make the lie about LAFOs being the problem into some half arsed truth.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 9:11 am

trekin wrote:To put your mind at ease, Tas, the internals are not the only part that defines function. The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. A straight pull requires you to move the hand with your trigger finger away from the trigger to cycle the handle, a pump does not. A pump action can be slam fired, a straight pull can not. As very nearly all so called straight pul shotties here have spring assised return to battery, then to do as OM has done would also require some modification to the internals.
I would suggest OM is at best, a backyard smith (illegally), trying to drum up business, or at worst, an undercover cop trying to make the lie about LAFOs being the problem into some half arsed truth.

Ahhh. I see. " The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. " - this answers everything and screws my artificial argument right in the keister...Cheers.
I looked at a straight pull a while back that allowed for the pull button to be swapped from left to right by screwing in/out the handle. I am right handed, and with the bolt changed to the left side, I could quite easily hold / operate the 12g with finger on the trigger, sighted at target, with left hand continuing to cycle the action...ie very little difference to a pump.

I honestly dont know whom he was - he simply over heard me talking about pumps, levers and straight pulls...I was a little shocked to be honest when he said he wanted to show me something...he could have asked me out for a coffee first and I would have been his, but to just ask me over to his boot like that ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 17 May 2019, 9:24 am

TassieTiger wrote:
trekin wrote:To put your mind at ease, Tas, the internals are not the only part that defines function. The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. A straight pull requires you to move the hand with your trigger finger away from the trigger to cycle the handle, a pump does not. A pump action can be slam fired, a straight pull can not. As very nearly all so called straight pul shotties here have spring assised return to battery, then to do as OM has done would also require some modification to the internals.

Ahhh. I see. " The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. " - this answers everything and screws my artificial argument right in the keister...Cheers.
I looked at a straight pull a while back that allowed for the pull button to be swapped from left to right by screwing in/out the handle. I am right handed, and with the bolt changed to the left side, I could quite easily hold / operate the 12g with finger on the trigger, sighted at target, with left hand continuing to cycle the action...ie very little difference to a pump.

I honestly dont know whom he was - he simply over heard me talking about pumps, levers and straight pulls...I was a little shocked to be honest when he said he wanted to show me something...he could have asked me out for a coffee first and I would have been his, but to just ask me over to his boot like that ?

Glad to of some help. Did you by chance happen to fire said firearm with the swapable handle, particualy multiple rounds as fast as possible?
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 10:03 am

trekin wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

Glad to of some help. Did you by chance happen to fire said firearm with the swapable handle, particualy multiple rounds as fast as possible?

I didn't personally shoot the shottie, cycling a full mag - the person showing me was at the clay club where such things as rapid fire is frowned upon, but I did shoot a couple of rounds to actually see if it could be held in position whilst cycling, thus my comments. I think anyone of reasonable size could do likewise.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2019, 10:56 am

TassieTiger wrote:I should ring firearms and get their official position...would be interesting.
Lay your bets gentlemen

I'm sure they will tell you when they call over for a chat. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2019, 11:02 am

TassieTiger wrote:

They will be able to work out who he is by speaking to those at the gunshop who spoke to him and via video security cameras in the shop, they just need you to tell them which shop and persons you spoke too and what was said. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 11:06 am

bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

They will be able to work out who he is by speaking to those at the gunshop who spoke to him and via video security cameras in the shop, they just need you to tell them which shop and persons you spoke too and what was said. :D

It's Tassie mate - they already know...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 17 May 2019, 12:02 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

It's Tassie mate - they already know...

More than likely related anyways. :drinks:
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 12:13 pm

Works for the Targeryans....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cracker » 17 May 2019, 7:09 pm

devil is in the detail, slam fire shotguns are hard to find and totally suck in application (my opinion) but i love the concept... saying that a guy at my club is a demon on his model 12 winchester slam firing.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 18 May 2019, 4:09 am

That push button is going to be interesting...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by deanp100 » 23 May 2019, 7:47 am

It’s very simple if you buy the right brand. You don’t have to modify anything . A gun shop showed me as well.
I am actually surprised the word isn’t out there a bit more.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 23 May 2019, 1:09 pm

I think I know what your talking about - I too am surprised that someone hasn’t bought it up here....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cracker » 23 May 2019, 8:46 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I think I know what your talking about - I too am surprised that someone hasn’t bought it up here....

iv heard that some straight pulls have been faulty and will actually eject spent shells.
Last edited by cracker on 25 May 2019, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 23 May 2019, 9:19 pm

Yep. Bastard when they fail like that...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 24 May 2019, 7:49 pm

Unless we are trying to get straight pull shotguns banned I would delete this thread admin
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 May 2019, 9:21 pm

flutch wrote:Unless we are trying to get straight pull shotguns banned I would delete this thread admin

That's nothing ... wait until they hear how we've been turning bolt action rimfire .22 rifles into full auto military style machine guns with a few rubber bands and some sticky tape!
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2019, 7:40 am

flutch wrote:Unless we are trying to get straight pull shotguns banned I would delete this thread admin

I reckon Tassie will be on their watch list for sure after all the illegal stuff he's been talking about here. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 8:34 am

Oh BFS...I was on the watch list a LONG time ago...for thing I cant even bring myself to type lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.