Cross eye dominance - what did you do?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Cross eye dominance - what did you do?

Post by mickyj » 29 May 2019, 12:01 am

Im asking all those that are right handed but are left eye dominant. There seems to be a bunch of discussion on the net about the best solution. What did you do if anything? Appreciate your comments.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Cross eye dominance - what did you do?

Post by wrenchman » 29 May 2019, 2:52 am

practice is what i do but i also shoot both sides and have when i started i have seen guys scuff up the left lens on safty glasses.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by hzj80 » 29 May 2019, 8:53 am

I put a small strip of masking tape on my glasses so that my left eye can't see the tip of the barrels when I'm pointing the gun from my right shoulder. It ends up being off to the left of centre on the left lens of my glasses.

Happily this means that when I'm not in a shooting stance I still have all my forward and most of my peripheral vision.
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by straightshooter » 29 May 2019, 9:04 am

I have read that it is possible to retrain a dominant eye. Research with google may reveal the method.
That would have to be considered in the context of whether that retraining may be beneficial in the case where the non dominant eye has inferior vision characteristics.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 May 2019, 9:10 am

G'day mickyj,
I just practice more now, but I have tried mounting on the left shoulder but couldn't get used to it. I once borrowed a friends crossover stocked shottie and that was a game changer, but never could afford one at the time and now don't do enough shotgun shooting to warrant it. If you see one at the range, ask to try it, you may be hooked, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 29 May 2019, 10:48 am

Im left handed but right eye dom. I can mentally change eyes now, but it has taken 30 plus years of training myself and every now and again I forget to make myself change eyes
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 May 2019, 5:50 pm

I just put a small piece of clear tape on my lense on my shooting glasses, it's enough to fix the prob, is cheap and simple to do and it works a treat without blocking your peripheral vision.

I was seeing 2 or 3 barrels on the shotgun at times which made it rather hard to hit clays, once I got it sorted I was smashing them like nothing else.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 29 May 2019, 6:13 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I just put a small piece of clear tape on my lense on my shooting glasses, it's enough to fix the prob, is cheap and simple to do and it works a treat without blocking your peripheral vision.

I was seeing 2 or 3 barrels on the shotgun at times which made it rather hard to hit clays, once I got it sorted I was smashing them like nothing else.

similar thing for me BFS i can't use red dots cause i get a couple of overlapping images . so i don't use them . with shotgun , i just close my left eye as i shoulder and sight down the barrel like aiming a rifle . works for me and works even better with a sxs than U/O

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 May 2019, 7:45 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I just put a small piece of clear tape on my lense on my shooting glasses, it's enough to fix the prob, is cheap and simple to do and it works a treat without blocking your peripheral vision.

similar thing for me BFS i can't use red dots cause i get a couple of overlapping images . so i don't use them . with shotgun , i just close my left eye as i shoulder and sight down the barrel like aiming a rifle . works for me and works even better with a sxs than U/O

Yeah I used to do that too BR but I find the tape allows for the full peripheral vision so use that now. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Josh Smith » 30 May 2019, 3:55 am

Hello,

I'm a lefty. I'm right eye dominant. However, my right eye is also worse for vision.

I've been shooting using my left eye since my teens, and now my left eye will come up as dominant about half the time in tests. You can retrain your brain with enough practice.

Regards,
Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 30 May 2019, 4:37 am

bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Yeah I used to do that too BR but I find the tape allows for the full peripheral vision so use that now. :drinks:

I tried tape over my left eye but I kept walking into trees BFS :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 May 2019, 10:33 am

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:

I tried tape over my left eye but I kept walking into trees BFS :lol:

Ya need a chainsaw BR :crazy: :lol: I must say in the last yr or so my eyes have changed for the worse, things aren't anywhere near as sharp and clear as they were, I guess it goes with getting older hey :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rufasguts » 30 May 2019, 12:52 pm

I basically keep both eyes open until i got the target tracked and the gun moving, closing the problem eye at the last moment as i lock on to the target and slap the trigger.
Also i should mention, starting with the butt positioned down , muzzle up, so i can see everything thats going on, track the target with the end of the muzzle as you shoulder it. Do it fast, dont over think it.
Been working for me for 40yrs.
My 2 cents
Rufasguts
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 30 May 2019, 8:12 pm

mickyj wrote:Im asking all those that are right handed but are left eye dominant. There seems to be a bunch of discussion on the net about the best solution. What did you do if anything? Appreciate your comments.

I am right handed and left eye Dom, I never even knew till about 7 months ago, never bothered me before, I largely shoot with both eyes open though unless shooting on above 8x then I shut my left eye... Never really been an issue
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 May 2019, 8:21 pm

Rufasguts wrote:I basically keep both eyes open until i got the target tracked and the gun moving, closing the problem eye at the last moment as i lock on to the target and slap the trigger.
Also i should mention, starting with the butt positioned down , muzzle up, so i can see everything thats going on, track the target with the end of the muzzle as you shoulder it. Do it fast, dont over think it.
Been working for me for 40yrs.
My 2 cents

+1 . i do the same and it's a easy natural thing for me . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ThumbNT » 01 Jun 2019, 10:57 am

I have a severe cross dominance. Cant close my left eye and open my right without it watering up or with an aid (eye patch/hand covering my face)

And i have broken my left arm and wrist twice so its only really good for holding stuff, not manipulating safetys/levers/bolts.

My solution? 6 moa red dot in a pic rail. They're fixed and don't move so if i can see the dot over my target with my left eye....game on. Works a treat. Had success with ghost ring/skinner style sights too.

Vortex Venom is what i got. Looks a bit dumb but it works.
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by rookie » 01 Jun 2019, 10:36 pm

I knew I had an eye dominance problem because I felt like I was going cross-eyed when shooting.

I use a bit of painters masking tape (that blue type) on my shooting glasses, over the pupil of my dominant eye.

I tried clear sticky tape but the once that I tried it, it was too clear - I haven't got around to trying a different or more layers of it, as the blue masking tape is working.

These photos give you the idea:

eyepatch1.jpg
eyepatch1.jpg (8.43 KiB) Viewed 4748 times

eyepatch2.jpg
eyepatch2.jpg (5.78 KiB) Viewed 4748 times

If shooting DTL / Trap, I think it works well but I've only shot Skeet once and found that covering one eye can be a disadvantage (especially when shooting doubles) .. but maybe that's because I hadn't figured out the flight paths yet ..

What I was thinking of trying was having two different tinted lenses .. a darker tint over the dominant eye and a clearer tint on the other:

eyepatch3.jpg
eyepatch3.jpg (140.03 KiB) Viewed 4748 times

Haven't tried it as watching what I spend at the moment ..

The other thing that I read about was these longer sights / beads ..

eyepatch4.jpg
eyepatch4.jpg (16.59 KiB) Viewed 4748 times

Supposedly, if you're seeing multiple views of the barrel (ie. front-on and side-on) you trust the one where you're looking directly behind the bead ...

I don't subscribe to it, as I try to focus on the moving target as opposed to bead / barrel - definitely don't have time to switch between those views

I chatted with many of the guys down the range about this stuff ... they tell me not to over think it :lol:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 03 Jun 2019, 3:42 am

Well, being ambidextrous and not being able to see worth a bugger with either eye, I just close both and 'let the force guide me'. Works for me, but I'm a Jedi Knight, so YMMV.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.