Where can i shoot an Adler 5 shot without travelling 6hrs

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Where can i shoot an Adler 5 shot without travelling 6hrs

Post by OldManShooter » 15 Jun 2019, 2:06 pm

Hi all,
Recently got an Adler five shot shotgun. Is there any ranges or anywhere in/around sydney i can shoot it at , just to run it in.
OldManShooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Where can i shoot an Adler 5 shot without travelling 6hr

Post by Diddums » 15 Jun 2019, 10:54 pm

You don't run in shotgun barrels.
If you mean to run in/ loosen up the action just get yourself some snap caps and cycle them through a few dozen times.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OldManShooter » 16 Jun 2019, 7:41 am

Diddums wrote:You don't run in shotgun barrels.
If you mean to run in/ loosen up the action just get yourself some snap caps and cycle them through a few dozen times.

was just an expression . i want to fire it and see how it shoots
OldManShooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2019, 8:12 am

You didn’t think about this before you bought?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 16 Jun 2019, 8:42 am

Come on guys............ A new bloke asks a reasonable question and to put it politely you're being less than helpful. :thumbsdown:
Great way to make a newbie feel welcome.
Sorry OldManShooter, i'm not in your area so have no idea and can't help you either, but hopefully someone here won't act like a d!ck and will actually be able to help you out.

Welcome aboard. :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2019, 9:11 am

JSS wrote:Come on guys............ A new bloke asks a reasonable question and to put it politely you're being less than helpful. :thumbsdown:
Great way to make a newbie feel welcome.
Sorry OldManShooter, i'm not in your area so have no idea and can't help you either, but hopefully someone here won't act like a d!ck and will actually be able to help you out.

Welcome aboard. :drinks:

“Sorry old man shooter, I’m not in your area so can’t help”....nice one. Lol.
What’s the point in buying a firearm if you have no where to shoot it? How is asking that question - being a dick?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by OldManShooter » 16 Jun 2019, 9:19 am

Yeah thanks guys for your help and condescension. I have a place to shoot it but it’s hours away and i’ll only get there once or twice a year, i was looking for somewhere local where i could shoot a few shells just to test it out rather than waiting until i have time to commit a full 4 days to go and shoot it.

I’m sure a lot of you guys would be able to empathise with the hunter with a family that may only get to hunt once or twice a year.
OldManShooter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2019, 10:00 am

Thing is - the multi shot Adler is generally not allowed at any ranges like the UO and SXS are. You might get lucky but the ranges like being able to see an open / broken breech - which you can’t do with the Adler.

If I lived so far away from a property - I’d consider buying something I could play with locally - ie clays as well.

Why did you choose the Adler for hunting over something else that you might be able to also shoot at a local range? It might be worth trading it ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 16 Jun 2019, 10:15 am

Some rifle ranges allow shotguns, i see a lot of shotty shells at the range i go to for sighting in rifles. Also try your local pistol ranges, i know two of the ones i go to up here allow the use of certain cal rifles and shotguns, and they don't mind rapid fire like some rifle ranges do. But like i said i don't know your area so can't give you any specific places, you'll just have to do the ring around, hopefully someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.
Nothing sucks more than having a new toy you can't play with.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 16 Jun 2019, 4:28 pm

Ring Silverwater range I know you can use shottie there but not sure on cap
please call on 02 46531440.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Jun 2019, 6:30 pm

Will they let you just load 2 at a time at these ranges that won't allow 5 shots ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2019, 8:04 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Will they let you just load 2 at a time at these ranges that won't allow 5 shots ?

At all of the ranges I’ve attended - you have to be able to show the gun broken even when walking between DTL points - and they fuken jump all over it.
I’ve seen ppl screamed at because they’d shot 1 of 2, was on their last clay and just walked to the next station.
Even when walking from station 5 to station 1 - if you don’t have the breach open AND don’t remove ALL shells, loaded or otherwise - they freak out.
One guy applied at the Hobart gun club to shoot a semi based on medical grounds (he was granted a C class under medical) and outright declined based on unable to show breach.
Even with the Adler action open, you cannot show the magazine has 1, 2 or 5 loaded...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by southeast varmiter » 17 Jun 2019, 9:27 am

JSS wrote:Some rifle ranges allow shotguns, i see a lot of shotty shells at the range i go to for sighting in rifles. Also try your local pistol ranges, i know two of the ones i go to up here allow the use of certain cal rifles and shotguns, and they don't mind rapid fire like some rifle ranges do. But like i said i don't know your area so can't give you any specific places, you'll just have to do the ring around, hopefully someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.
Nothing sucks more than having a new toy you can't play with.

Yep. Ssaa allow slugs on rifle range for sighting in. No issues. Can rack up the mag.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 17 Jun 2019, 12:54 pm

Chamber flags may be an allowable substitute. You are going to have to ask each and every range officer before you start shooting. They are the ones that are ultimately responsible for everyone's safety at the range. Until the club or facility adopts a policy of chamber flags are acceptable and that ruling is passed out to the range officers. Just ask before you start I would be surprised if they said No they just have to be aware of what is going on, on their watch.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Archie » 17 Jun 2019, 1:21 pm

OldManShooter wrote:Yeah thanks guys for your help and condescension. I have a place to shoot it but it’s hours away and i’ll only get there once or twice a year, i was looking for somewhere local where i could shoot a few shells just to test it out rather than waiting until i have time to commit a full 4 days to go and shoot it.

I’m sure a lot of you guys would be able to empathise with the hunter with a family that may only get to hunt once or twice a year.

Ok, so thinking about Sydney Ranges then - and assuming you just want to see if it works rather than do "proper" shooting that its designed for:

- Malabar, doubt they would allow it. Never seen anyone using a shotgun there and the rules are pretty strict on everything so if its not allowed it's banned.
- St Marys... you could call and ask? Again, never seen anyone using a shotgun at the indoor range but in no obvious reason to me why you couldn't given you can use a centrefire rifle. Just up to them.
- You could try at some of the clay clubs. My guess is that a combination of "we don't like it" / concerns re visible safety vs a broken double barrel will probably get a no.
- I have seen them used multiple times, and used a friends' adler myself, at Silverdale. However, couple of issues with this. I haven't shot at Silverdale for a year or so, so maybe the rule has changed, but it used to be that the range rules were, you could only load to barrel capacity, not magazines. That meant for benchrest shooting, you need to load your rifle one round at a time (ridiculously frustrating). For the clay pigeon thrower, a "normal" shotgun could load both barrels. But the adler you had to load one round at a time because it only has one barrel. So that will tell you if the gun works but it won't give you a real feel for it. But its better than nothing.

Hope that helps.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 20 Jun 2019, 8:30 am

SISC (Cecil Park) shotgun range on the visitors layout will allow you to shoot it one shell at a time. Seen a few guys do it..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.