Any 410 expert reloaders?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Any 410 expert reloaders?

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2019, 11:36 pm

Gents I'd like to develop a lower powered slug for dispatching stuff out of my chiappa double bader, 22LR/410a. The 410 case obviously long, uses a fair bit of powder. Would like to drop things back to like a slow cowboy pistol load with decent sized slug. Was wondering if there are shorter or maybe brass versions of the 410. Or how much it can be safely loaded down in the regular hulls. Not a lot of info in load manuals.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Any 410 expert reloaders?

Post by bigpete » 20 Jun 2019, 12:41 am

Firstly,you poor bastard for buying one of them...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 20 Jun 2019, 7:34 am

You own one too?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 20 Jun 2019, 10:24 am

Used to. Took the piece of crap back and after a lot of trouble got my money back
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 20 Jun 2019, 10:37 am

Mine had work too, firing pin. Its working fine now but I'm not a big fan of chiappas QC and won't spend big money on them. The double badger fills a certain purpose for me most others can't, aka has two barrels and folds into a day pack.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2019, 12:14 pm

mickb wrote:Gents I'd like to develop a lower powered slug for dispatching stuff out of my chiappa double badger, 22LR/410a. The 410 case obviously long, uses a fair bit of powder. Would like to drop things back to like a slow cowboy pistol load with decent sized slug. Was wondering if there are shorter or maybe brass versions of the 410. Or how much it can be safely loaded down in the regular hulls. Not a lot of info in load manuals.

While it is a long case, it has to be to hold a wad and a shot column, so there's not a lot left for the powder charge. The charge is roughly similar to a heavy .357 Magnum load - a 180gn bullet on 14gn of AR2205 compared to a .410 220gn (1/2oz. load) on 14gn of AR2205. Both making roughly similar velocities for the same bullet mass.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 20 Jun 2019, 2:23 pm

Mate I'm after info to drive the slugs about 1/2 the normal velocity. Also aware that the entire shell is not full of powder- it would be a 400 nitro express elephant gun if it was :)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2019, 2:40 pm

mickb wrote:Mate I'm after info to drive the slugs about 1/2 the normal velocity. Also aware that the entire shell is not full of powder- it would be a 400 nitro express elephant gun if it was :)

I just thought it was incorrect to say .410 uses a fair bit of powder :-)
14gn of AR2205 makes 1200fps with a 1/2oz load of birdshot, and I think slugs tend to make more pressure, but I would just work backwards from there. Maybe try 10gn and chrono it.

Might also be worth emailing ADI and ask about Trailboss behind .410 slugs at your required velocity.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 20 Jun 2019, 2:42 pm

Point taken but meant in the context of "uses a fair bit of powder. Would like to drop things back to like a slow cowboy pistol load"

Trailboss might not be a bad idea, will call them.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2019, 2:45 pm

mickb wrote:Point taken but meant in the context of "uses a fair bit of powder. Would like to drop things back to like a slow cowboy pistol load"

They have load data for 12ga loads at 1125fps, knock it down 45fps and they're subsonic.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 20 Jun 2019, 6:52 pm

Pretty easy.
Slugs actually generate less pressure due to "fluid dynamics".
Also,as you can seat the projectile right down onto the powder,there's not reason you can't just use a half charge of powder. Powder,card was or 2,projectile,over shot wad. Easy as as long as you're components don't weigh in excess of the data
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 21 Jun 2019, 5:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:Point taken but meant in the context of "uses a fair bit of powder. Would like to drop things back to like a slow cowboy pistol load"

They have load data for 12ga loads at 1125fps, knock it down 45fps and they're subsonic.

410.... :)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2019, 5:26 pm

mickb wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

410.... :)

Yes, I know you're looking at .410, but it gives you some ideas, they don't list much in the way of .410 data :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.