Adler Straight Pull

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Adler Straight Pull

Post by meawls » 21 Aug 2019, 10:17 am

The exact wording of written response by Keith Boyle from Nioa on 31 July... “The Adler B220 and B230 models will be supplied with spring assisted returns like many other straight pull shotguns currently on the market.” The tactical model is the B230 ... so it seems that this has been put to bed at last. The Adler straight pulls have spring assisted return. Any arguments, contact Keith!!!
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dabi » 21 Aug 2019, 1:46 pm

meawls wrote:The exact wording of written response by Keith Boyle from Nioa on 31 July... “The Adler B220 and B230 models will be supplied with spring assisted returns like many other straight pull shotguns currently on the market.” The tactical model is the B230 ... so it seems that this has been put to bed at last. The Adler straight pulls have spring assisted return. Any arguments, contact Keith!!!

thank you! i would've refunded my deposit if it didn't have a return spring, phew :)
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Aug 2019, 10:18 pm

Remember the times years ago when we used to carry our pumps or autos out onto the wheat stubble at night flicking our torches on every now and then to make sure we are moving correctly in relation to the big mob of pigs we saw ...... now we just have these levers and straight pulls and malfunction s and it sux
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by aimz » 24 Aug 2019, 1:16 am

so jealous of a mate living in the US. goes and buys a 2nd hand pump for a couple of hundred. no one loses their sh** over it. its just another shotgun.

anyway, these adler straight pulls are cheap, but am i just going to have the ejection issues like the lever? might be worth spending a bit more a get an SHS or dickinson.
aimz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bridgy » 24 Aug 2019, 7:55 pm

I'll be putting a deposit on an all-weather during the week. For $435 and a 5 year warranty I don't think it can go too wrong.

It's certainly no Beretta or Browning but I wouldn't be able to use a nice shotgun for trundling around the scrub without fear of marking it, so it'll work for me!

I reckon treat it like an 'original' Adler, and don't baby it, and it'll be okay!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by cracker » 24 Aug 2019, 9:00 pm

Bridgy wrote:I'll be putting a deposit on an all-weather during the week. For $435 and a 5 year warranty I don't think it can go too wrong.

It's certainly no Beretta or Browning but I wouldn't be able to use a nice shotgun for trundling around the scrub without fear of marking it, so it'll work for me!

I reckon treat it like an 'original' Adler, and don't baby it, and it'll be okay!

100%, its very cheap very. and treat it mean it should work fine... its a pretty basic design really
compared to an auto5 or a winchester model 12 they are built very cheap indeed, but big deal, still be pretty fun
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sus_scrofa » 27 Aug 2019, 6:39 pm

Here's a locally modified adler option

https://beatonfirearms.com.au/shop/beat ... l-shotgun/

I've herd from my LGS there will be a few new cheapish straight pull 12g shotguns on the market before the end of the year. Maybe it's worth waiting to see which is best for your application and has best warranty etc.
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by flutch » 29 Aug 2019, 7:51 pm

Sus_scrofa wrote:Here's a locally modified adler option

https://beatonfirearms.com.au/shop/beat ... l-shotgun/

I've herd from my LGS there will be a few new cheapish straight pull 12g shotguns on the market before the end of the year. Maybe it's worth waiting to see which is best for your application and has best warranty etc.

yeah zaine will sell ya one of them for over 3 times the cost of the new adler straight pull
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by jacobpsayers » 26 Oct 2019, 8:21 pm

does anyone know when applying for a PTA (QLD) for one of the new alder straight pulls what the action is under? the option in the drop box for straight pull is non existent. the only option i can see that is close is bolt?
jacobpsayers
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by meawls » 27 Oct 2019, 1:06 pm

jacobpsayers wrote:does anyone know when applying for a PTA (QLD) for one of the new alder straight pulls what the action is under? the option in the drop box for straight pull is non existent. the only option i can see that is close is bolt?

Bolt mate.
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ghoatman » 27 Oct 2019, 2:41 pm

meawls wrote:
jacobpsayers wrote:does anyone know when applying for a PTA (QLD) for one of the new alder straight pulls what the action is under? the option in the drop box for straight pull is non existent. the only option i can see that is close is bolt?

Bolt mate.

Can confirm bolt, picked up my tacticool version on Thursday, yet to shoot it though.
Ghoatman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Oct 2019, 2:55 pm

I phoned weapons licencing in Qld. They said bolt action
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by meawls » 27 Oct 2019, 9:07 pm

Ghoatman wrote:
meawls wrote:

Bolt mate.

Can confirm bolt, picked up my tacticool version on Thursday, yet to shoot it though.

I picked mine up Friday, fired two boxes through it over the weekend. Fairly light - kicks like a mule ... admittedly with heavy field loads, and consistently jams on the 4th/5th shots. They seem to both come out of the clip mag at once. Happens with both mags .... was hoping it would have settled by by now.

Shoots low despite sights being at highest adjustment ... and that rear sight is a little flimsy. I don’t want to adjust it much higher or the whole thing will just drop right off. And the front sight post is canted ever so slightly to the left. Can’t be adjusted, so just have to live with it. Solids (Fiocchi) print a roughly 3” group at 50M using the open choke.

And despite what you may have heard, you can shoot clays with it - perhaps 50% of the time!! There’s wayyyy too much going on with those open sights, so it’s a mostly point and hope for the best affair ... but this was always gonna be the case!! Was never designed for that.

Totally looks the goods though ... even the wife reckons it looks sexy
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by perentie » 28 Oct 2019, 6:56 am

My Adler lever came with 3 chokes.
Do these also, and is a rifled choke supplied?
Mine shot slugs better with the rifled choke so I was wondering if these do too.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Oct 2019, 7:36 am

I have the Adler b230 t with three chokes. None are rifled. S and b slugs group same as meals posted. I used cylinder choke for that. With more testing if I can keep that accuracy I won’t try a rifled choke unless I’m very confident I will get much better groups. Disappointing to hear about the mag issue. I should put a full box through mine to check any probs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Oct 2019, 7:38 am

I suspect a better after market ghost ring peep will b available without too much looking round
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Oct 2019, 9:23 am

I just tested another ten shells of 36 gram aaa ,s. No mag feed issues but action was very hard to open a gouple of times. I shall clean and lube it and see if that helps.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by meawls » 28 Oct 2019, 11:45 am

Blr243 wrote:I just tested another ten shells of 36 gram aaa ,s. No mag feed issues but action was very hard to open a gouple of times. I shall clean and lube it and see if that helps.

Good onya BLR, thanks. There’s one confirmation test you probably had fun performing!! Was keen to hear if the feed issue was a generic thing ... maybe not, given you results.. I’ll discuss with retailer. Re the ghost ring ... I agree about upcoming aftermarket stuff, although given that it’s a stock standard (apparently) picatinny, they’re probably already out there in abundance.
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 09 Dec 2019, 8:34 pm

I tested mine out today and I was very impressed.
Winchester AA #8 shot 980fps, winchester 9 pellet 00 1315fps, winchestet 18 pellet 1220fps, and winchester pdx1 1oz slug and 3 00 plated buckshot 1150fps. All ammo cycled easily and ejected like butter.
Accuracy with slugs was good. I managed to hit a paper cat at 50 metres 2 out of 4 times.
I have the all weather model. I was able to do a "like for like" with my old mossberg bolt action shotgun, hence, no pta.
I really liked shooting the slugs with it....all chokes were fine with slugs. However, I will use the most open (improved cylinder) from now on.
The bolt stays open on an empty chamber, which came in handy when I was cleaning it.
I have never shot the lever action version of the adler, but, I did handle one in a shop and it felt terrible. The straight pull doesn't feel anything like the lever. It's smooth and easy to operate.
In short, I would second what "ozzie reviews" said. This is a really good shotgun. It's amazing that they are selling them so cheap.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 10 Dec 2019, 1:19 pm

Ozzie definitely did a good review
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 10 Dec 2019, 4:42 pm

The one thing that worries me is the aluminium receiver.
I have been advised to only shoot brass based shotshells. That narrows it down to Winchester AA HS hulls ($150 a slab), plus it's only in birdshot. I can't find any buckshot or slugs that have a brass base. Just about all shotgun shells in Australia are actually have a steel base, then zinc plated and yellow chromated over the zinc plating to make it appear like brass. This steel/zinc plated/chromated combination apparently damages the aluminium in the receiver after a while. It might also explain why some people get a "stuck" shell and can't pull back the bolt handle sometimes.
Brass, I have been told, will not damage the receiver because it's softer and shrinks back after firing.
Has anyone got any experience or opinions on this brass vs steel case subject in shotguns?
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Dec 2019, 6:46 pm

In plumbing terms brass I have heard described as being a slippery metal. Maybe this aids extraction. I have not heard about this brass shell thing in relation to alum receivers. I’m keen to hear more too
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flutch » 10 Dec 2019, 7:18 pm

just a guess but I would say that it has more to do with tolerances than anything else, some are inevitably going to be slightly larger than others and some are inevitably going to be narrower and so on. pretty much any dimension in regards to the surfaces and moving parts of the firearm and the surfaces and construct of the ammunition is going to be a variable and with a cheap gun this is kinda to be expected, i will use whatever mine shoots. but there are plenty of reasons why they would stick. that and its a cheap gun, if mine lasts 4 years I will be happy.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Patriot » 10 Dec 2019, 7:27 pm

I have a Impala straight pull, it has an alloy receiver. I’ve put about 2000 shells through it now with a variety of loads with not one feed or ejection issue. Initially I did have problems with the bolt handle coming off but since that was fixed, no problems. I have not heard anything about only shooting brass, I think Adler will be fine, all the Turkish shotguns are made for the Aussie market, it will be sweet in my opinion.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by flutch » 10 Dec 2019, 7:31 pm

+1 for Patriots comment.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 10 Dec 2019, 8:24 pm

Thank you Patriot & Flutch for today's edification.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 11 Dec 2019, 7:26 pm

jovialjosie2002 wrote: Accuracy with slugs was good. I managed to hit a paper cat at 50 metres 2 out of 4 times.

It pays never to be undergunned. :crazy: :drinks:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jt-2019 » 03 Feb 2020, 5:46 am

Apparently there are kits to sicken up the feed
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Jt-2019 » 09 Feb 2020, 6:29 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Looking to pick the brains trust on the new Adler straight pull shotguns.

Anybody with experience on the original lever action version, would you think the straight pull would make it cycle any better than the original model or sort out any of the issues with feeding. Or maintain any issues regardless of the cycling action.

Mate! I'm soo keen on the all weather!
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Khalild » 09 Feb 2020, 8:31 pm

Got to shoot both the lever and a straight pull recently. As well as watch them shot simultaneously. Lever was quicker on the day however the straight pull was the pistol grip and the magazine's were proving to be a nusiance. You also cant half a** cycling the action have to treat them mean to get the best out of them.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.