Shot gun barrels braking apart?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Shot gun barrels braking apart?

Post by Cooper » 04 Aug 2019, 7:11 pm

4A3B3AC0-4823-46AB-A0B8-FD1791720C40.jpeg
4A3B3AC0-4823-46AB-A0B8-FD1791720C40.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 2885 times

Having a bit look at the Father in-laws shot gun and barrels seem to be splitting apart? Looks like they are solider joined together. Got a feeling it might be worth my than the gun to fix. It a Boito?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Shot gun barrels braking apart?

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2019, 8:40 pm

Cooper wrote:
4A3B3AC0-4823-46AB-A0B8-FD1791720C40.jpeg

Having a bit look at the Father in-laws shot gun and barrels seem to be splitting apart? Looks like they are solider joined together. Got a feeling it might be worth my than the gun to fix. It a Boito?

Solder is the standard means I think, although I guess they could be braised together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSUOeT2dBg0
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 05 Aug 2019, 8:49 am

Thanks blade. I was notsure how they would have joined them together. I was thinking it might be some sort of cold solder process. I’d be worried about using too much Heat and the barrel trying to fall apart or something.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Aug 2019, 4:56 pm

Cooper wrote:Thanks blade. I was notsure how they would have joined them together. I was thinking it might be some sort of cold solder process. I’d be worried about using too much Heat and the barrel trying to fall apart or something.

The barrels aren't tempered, just steel. Shotguns are very low pressure, roughly half the pressures of .22LR.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 05 Aug 2019, 7:19 pm

I once spoke to a gunsmith about cutting down an old 30" side by side. He told me only certain side by sides can be cut down as on some shotguns the barrels are only solidly joined at the end so if he was to cut one like that down, the solder he would fill the gap with wouldn't stop them from eventually separating.

I know absolutely nothing about shotguns and to be honest I've come to discover he is a terrible gunsmith so this could be totally wrong
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by cadet » 06 Aug 2019, 3:34 pm

Likely soldered; scratch the join and look for a silver colour - solder - or brassy - brazed. Either way, a Boito is unlikely to be worth a decent 'smith's hourly rate to fix. Might be an ok DIY project though.
cadet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by rookie » 06 Aug 2019, 5:12 pm

cadet wrote:silver colour - solder - or brassy - brazed.

I always thought of solder as a weak joint .. definitely thought it wasn’t water proof either ... do they have “stronger” solder joint than what they use in electronics? (Curious)

What are they doing here: (link to video below)
837BBD49-31FF-4C65-9658-F29BDF640449.png
837BBD49-31FF-4C65-9658-F29BDF640449.png (802.86 KiB) Viewed 2728 times

cadet wrote:Either way, a Boito is unlikely to be worth a decent 'smith's hourly rate to fix. Might be an ok DIY project though.

I like this video showing the work to get barrels aligned ...

Fast forward to 10:14 (to 11:50)
https://youtu.be/qUXoNUzAyvk

Hope they put that much effort into mine :D
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Aug 2019, 6:44 pm

rookie wrote:
cadet wrote:silver colour - solder - or brassy - brazed.

I always thought of solder as a weak joint .. definitely thought it wasn’t water proof either ... do they have “stronger” solder joint than what they use in electronics? (Curious)

What are they doing here: (link to video below)
837BBD49-31FF-4C65-9658-F29BDF640449.png

cadet wrote:Either way, a Boito is unlikely to be worth a decent 'smith's hourly rate to fix. Might be an ok DIY project though.

I like this video showing the work to get barrels aligned ...

Fast forward to 10:14 (to 11:50)
https://youtu.be/qUXoNUzAyvk

Hope they put that much effort into mine :D

Solder can be strong if done well, proper fluxing and etching of the surface is important. Guttering is all held together with solder. I probably wouldn't leave a soldered shotgun too close to the campfire, but it'd have to be there awhile before the solder melted.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 06 Aug 2019, 7:55 pm

this may help you out
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=152905

Calibre/Item: Parts 12G
Make: Boito
Model: Muira
Barrel Length: 710mm
Choke: F/M
Condition: Fair
Price: $75
Advertised: 24/07/2019
Licence number: 50000377
Phone: 07 5484 3555 or 0407 745 662
Comment: Ref: H174. For Parts Only. Boito 12G in fair condition. Bores lightly pitted. Vent ribs lifting. No PTA required but you must send a copy of your Firearms Licence and check your State regulations. What you see is what you get. Postage & handling within Australia $40.00. No additional photos provided for this bargain price. Email only. Hearing impaired Dealer has trouble on phone. No texts thanks as no mobile phone signal.
Transfering dealer: 'Wattle Grove Park' Gun Shop. 3030 Amamoor Creek Rd, Amamoor, Qld
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 06 Aug 2019, 8:29 pm

There are a few different mixtures used even for the normal soft solder. It is really hard to solder something like that as you need quite a bit of heat as the barrels just heat sink all the heat away. What this means is that it need to be held firmly in place when you start as it will all go molten at the same time.

The Solder that is harder than the normal lead tin mixtures are when you add some Silver. This is known surprisingly as Silver Solder. Much higher melting temp and much stronger.

The next step up in strength is brazing.

If you want to give fixing it a go DIY style happy to help. But the barrels may end up pointing in all sorts of directions.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by rookie » 06 Aug 2019, 9:39 pm

marksman wrote:this may help you out
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=152905

Good call!

bladeracer wrote:Solder can be strong if done well, proper fluxing and etching of the surface is important. Guttering is all held together with solder.

OK - I learn something every day :thumbsup:

sungazer wrote:There are a few different mixtures used even for the normal soft solder. It is really hard to solder something like that as you need quite a bit of heat as the barrels just heat sink all the heat away. What this means is that it need to be held firmly in place when you start as it will all go molten at the same time.

The Solder that is harder than the normal lead tin mixtures are when you add some Silver. This is known surprisingly as Silver Solder. Much higher melting temp and much stronger.

OK, this does ring a bell now u mention it - ie. the tin based solder and silver based

sungazer wrote:The next step up in strength is brazing.

That’s what I assumed they would’ve done to the barrels.. I remember doing his back in high school .. was great playing with a torch!
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 07 Aug 2019, 9:02 pm

I have a Boito U/O 12g and so far it has been fine. Is barrels breaking apart something that happens to them a bit? Anything I can do to prevent it?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by scoot » 09 Aug 2019, 12:01 pm

a guy I worked with had this same problem with his boito o/u. (coincidence???). He tried for a while to get replacement barrels or get it repaired by a smith. Verdict was a new gun was more economical.
With nothing to loose have a crack at fixing it. A helpful boily mate would be handy.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.