All purpose shotty

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

All purpose shotty

Post by shovtel » 29 Oct 2019, 12:56 pm

Hey all,

Im thinking of getting myself my first shotgun.

It will be used for hunting, primarily rabbits and redcoats. Maybe knocking off a few clays on the farm but that's about it.

Ideally im not looking to spend the world... and I am open to something second hand if it means I am getting something a bit more quality.

So, what should I be looking out for and budgeting? What are the brands to consider and which ones to steer away from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mick.
shovtel
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: All purpose shotty

Post by flutch » 29 Oct 2019, 1:37 pm

are ya looking to get under/over, side b side, or lever action or straight pull or what?

If youre going under and over my advice is any of the cheapish turkish brands are all gonna do the job just make sure to get one with ejectors cos anything else is just peasantry lol

straight pulls i hear good things about impala and my old man has a dickinson T1000 and that works great,

I have a cheap spanish Lanber under and over and it cost me 600 bucks and is great for knocking over most things.

side by sides are ok if youre going a cheap little scrub gun or wanting to buy something that looks more historical, i have a rossi side by side 410 that my dad bought me when i was 9 or so years old.

the old man also has an akkar 3 triple barrel, which is a cool gun to have but its not light, better suited to waiting on fencelines and such during fox and roo drives rather than walking all day with.

personally I would look for a cheap leading brand second hand with all its faculties intact or go a cheaper turkish brand, if going turkish i would probably look at going a straight pull or under/over rather than a lever gun. but thats mostly due to the licensing nonsense attached to lever stuff with the whole adler reclassification etc.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by av1 » 29 Oct 2019, 7:06 pm

If you really want an all round shotgun, then of course there will be a compromise.

Lever action, straight pull and side by side are far from ideal for any type of clay target shooting.

I would suggest a sporter under/ over which can cover most types of shooting and in this case a Miroku mk70 for value, resale and reliability.
av1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 29 Oct 2019, 7:20 pm

Under/over is hard to go past. Definitely don’t have to spend a fortune, fibre optic front sight is a nice feature.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 29 Oct 2019, 8:15 pm

Be a lad and grab an Adler lever action for your first shotty.
Good cheap rigs and plenty of fun
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2019, 8:29 pm

I just use my single barrel Boito for all those sorts of things you are talking about, it's cheap at about $60 back in the day and hasn't missed a beat in all the years of using it. What I like about it is it has a hammer which you pull back to take a shot and back off if no shot is present for whatever reason.

I also have a Beretta SP1 but I only use that for clays. for me the little boito is a great little shottie for banging around the bush will, it ain't flash and I love that about it, it just gets the job done every time I take it out hunting.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Oct 2019, 8:29 pm

I have a side by side, a U/O and an Adler lever...
Any time I go to the bush for a screw around, to knock a few rabbits or wallaby, clays - I now grab the Adler - it’s rough and ready and just works. $500 tops.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Harrynsw » 29 Oct 2019, 8:33 pm

There are good options around the $1000 Mark, which when it comes to shot guns is not a lot of money.
I have an Akkar Churchill under over, which iv used for clays, rabbits, foxes and pigs. Came with 5 chokes and from memory a good warranty period.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2019, 8:53 am

If your just dipping your toe in the water consider a single barrel. I hardly ever fire a second shot so mostly use my old single now.

Baikal are a very good cheapo.

My understsnding is Boito tend to loosen up pretty quick.

PS. I rekon open chokes are the go
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 8x57 » 30 Oct 2019, 4:49 pm

Another vote for the Adler I’ve got several other U/O Scottie’s Turkish and a Beretta, but when I’m going scrub I reach for the Adler, it’s reliable, and cheap enough that I don’t care if it gets knocked around, plus you can get the longer barrel to whack in for a bit of clay busting. I used to take a U/O hunting but I found the Lever gun a safer option for bouncing around in the tray or on the quad plus the end results were the same.
I would recommend a slick kit for the Adler if you get one , makes it a bit more friendly to cycle.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 30 Oct 2019, 6:54 pm

The first firearm I purchased was a Greener 12g made in 1886 I paid $250 from a shop in Geraldton and I learned to use the falling block and hunted for years.I liked greening Australia
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2019, 8:07 pm

duncan61 wrote:The first firearm I purchased was a Greener 12g made in 1886 I paid $250 from a shop in Geraldton and I learned to use the falling block and hunted for years.I liked greening Australia

Bloody greenie. Piss off. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Oct 2019, 12:28 pm

I’ll bite...what’s a falling block?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2019, 8:11 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ll bite...what’s a falling block?

Action has been around for yonks. (>100yrs) The block "falls" to allow the removal of the cartridge. Block does the job of a bolt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling-block_action
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 31 Oct 2019, 9:12 pm

What Oldbloke said.If you have seen the movie ZULU that is the same action chambered in 450/577 or boxer.They also made the same action in 12 g They are quite common I thought I was buying a cheap single shot at the time and fell in love with my Greener.For a long time it was all I had.I shot clays and field regularly
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 31 Oct 2019, 9:21 pm

Ok..so im biting as well...on the falling block subject...

Ive slways assumed a 'Martini Action' would be classed as a falling block...
Only once has anyone mentioned the term.when talking about my Martini, & a by stander "corrected" them by saying "thats a Martini"...

So, officially, is a Martini a style of falling block & commonly cslled a "Martini" becsuse of designer, or is it not a falling block...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 31 Oct 2019, 9:33 pm

The actual design was by a scot named Henry but Martini made it simpler and easier to manufacture so it is commonly called a Martini action and is 100% a falling block
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 31 Oct 2019, 9:37 pm

To shoot twice quickly I used to keep the shotgun on my shoulder pointing up and crank the lever with enough force to eject the spent case over my shoulder and slide a second cracker in and close the action flick the safety off and I competed in double clay events.Used to spin a few people out
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by perentie » 01 Nov 2019, 6:45 am

duncan61 wrote:The actual design was by a scot named Henry but Martini made it simpler and easier to manufacture so it is commonly called a Martini action and is 100% a falling block

I would not call a Martini a Falling Block.
A Falling Block has a Breech Block that slides up and down in grooves , like a Sharps.
The Martini has a breech block that is pivoted at the rear on a pin and rotates. It is an action type on its own like the Trapdoor is another action on its own.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.