Can you practice with a gun without oiling it up?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Can you practice with a gun without oiling it up?

Post by Cameron » 17 Nov 2019, 4:37 pm

Just a quick question as per the title I recently got my first shotgun and have being wanting to do practice mounts with it at home to get used to the feel and action of shouldering it but am wondering if this is safe to do without the whole ordeal of lubing/cleaning it for each assembly considering that I'm not firing it.

Sorry if this is answered somewhere I've searched all sorts of things on google with no luck.
Cameron
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Can you practice with a gun without oiling it up?

Post by Stix » 17 Nov 2019, 4:59 pm

Congrats on your first shotty...!.. :clap:

No mate...assembling,shouldering the gun,& disassembling will not hurt it, or cause oil to evaporate... :) ...

Maybe if worried, just give any metal bits you touched, or the entire outside a quick wipe down with an oily rag... :thumbsup:
Any metal to metal pre-oiled surfaces will still have a coating on them after disassembly......

So....lock yourself in your room & mount away... :o .... :)

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Nov 2019, 5:26 pm

Stix wrote:Congrats on your first shotty...!.. :clap:

No mate...assembling,shouldering the gun,& disassembling will not hurt it, or cause oil to evaporate... :) ...

Maybe if worried, just give any metal bits you touched, or the entire outside a quick wipe down with an oily rag... :thumbsup:
Any metal to metal pre-oiled surfaces will still have a coating on them after disassembly......

So....lock yourself in your room & mount away... :o .... :)

:drinks:

Good advice
lol chimp.gif
lol chimp.gif (284.83 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Nov 2019, 5:37 pm

its a good thing to play with your toys mate ;)
makes you familiar and can loosen them up a bit :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.