Adler A110 Lever Action. Is it worth it?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Adler A110 Lever Action. Is it worth it?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 11 Jan 2020, 9:01 am

Hey Lads

I hope that everybody is well

I've only shot rifles so far
(Target shooting)
Which I've enjoyed so much so far
It's been great
I've been loving it

However, I was thinking of getting into "Clay Target Shooting" as well
And so I was thinking of maybe perhaps purchasing the "Adler A110 lever action"

However;
The one thing that I really dislike about the Adler is that the action seems so incredibly stiff and rigid in every single demonstration that I've seen of it so far

That puts me off of it A LOT
It's such a truly unpleasant/nasty experience for me when a firearm has a stiff/rigid action
It's just not a nice feeling
It kinda ruins the experience a lot

So
What do you guys reckon?
Is the Adler A110 worth it?
Or is there a better shotgun in the same price range that you guys would recommend?
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Adler A110 Lever Action. Is it worth it?

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2020, 9:29 am

For shòoting Clay's I think you need to look at a double gun, preferably under/over. You can fire two shots very rapidly with no change in cheek weld or grip.
My 30" Stoeger Condor was $500 and handles so much nicer than my Dickinson T1000 straight-pull
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 11 Jan 2020, 9:51 am

BladeRacer;
Is the 30" Stoeger Condor still available?
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2020, 10:15 am

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:BladeRacer;
Is the 30" Stoeger Condor still available?

From memory I don't think the 30" barrels were a standard model, they were generally 28".
I don't even recall where I got it from now but I could probably find out.
Stoeger guns should still be available, they do a Coach Gun that I think is fairly well liked in Cowboy Action.
https://www.stoegerindustries.com/over- ... r-shotguns
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2020, 10:19 am

I am far from a shotgun expert, but I think for clays you really do need two barrels with different chokes, if you miss the first shot you need the tighter second shot as the bird is further away.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 11 Jan 2020, 10:25 am

Lever shotguns are for hunting for clay busting there are trap and skeet shotguns my favourite was the overhead tower where the clays launch from over your shoulder and you need to bust of a quick shot.It can be done with anything but the right shot and firearm makes it very doable.A lever gun aint going to be easy
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 11 Jan 2020, 10:27 am

Get a CBC single for a few hundred dollars and see if its what floats your boat before you drop a heap of loot in to it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 11 Jan 2020, 10:39 am

Mate as already advised, I’d grab myself and under and over if I were in the market.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 11 Jan 2020, 11:12 am

Maybe have a look at the Akkar Churchill O/U. It’s a good entry level shotty to try your hand at clays. It also comes in a 20”/30” combo if you want. You don’t want a lever action for clays.
As for the Adler - it’s an awesome little scrub gun. If you want a knock around shotty that you don’t mind scratching and abusing a bit, then it’s a great choice. I’ve found the older Adlers (first batches) were a bit tight but I’ve used a few of the later models which seem to be a lot smoother out of the factory.
A teaspoon of cement mix helps as well if you find the actions a bit “nasty” and “unpleasant”
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jan 2020, 11:37 am

If you are clay shooting only then you can't fire more than 2 shots. The adler can never fire two shots as fast or as smooth as a 2 barrel gun.

No the Adler A110 is a not a shotgun I recommend for anyone except for people who want to shoot stationary targets at 20m.

Check used guns and buy the cheapest miroku under and over field second hand you can find and you will have a lot more fun by hitting a lot more targets.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by GojiraSteve » 11 Jan 2020, 12:32 pm

Over an Unders are the standard these days as everyone above said. But if you just want to have a crack you could pick up an old fixed choke, non ejector, side by side for about what the shells/birds/range fee would run you for a day on the clays.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 11 Jan 2020, 12:32 pm

Dont mind my adler with a slick kit put through it, I can cycle the action with my pinky. Have shot clays with it as well with no real hinderance. Great gun for in close work on pigs.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 11 Jan 2020, 1:03 pm

“No the Adler A110 is a not a shotgun I recommend for anyone except for people who want to shoot stationary targets at 20m”

The Adler is far more capable than just shooting standing targets at 20m. Works a treat out in the bush when you don’t wanna get your fancy clay shotguns scratched or knocked around
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jan 2020, 1:50 pm

Ok then put some videos up it in action other than shooting stationary targets.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 11 Jan 2020, 1:55 pm

Have to agree with Ferrisweil, Adler is a bit more capable than shooting stationary targets at 20m. Have dusted plenty of swine on the run with an Adler.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 11 Jan 2020, 2:13 pm

mchughcb wrote:Ok then put some videos up it in action other than shooting stationary targets.

Sorry mate, but I’m not famous enough yet to walk around in the Aussie bush with a camera crew in tow haha
It’s a shotgun and it’s used to whack ferals running around the Aussie bush. For those of us on our cat a/b, and who need more than 2 shots at a time, it does a pretty good job at hitting stationary AND moving targets, up close and personal that aren’t made of little bits of clay.
It’s what all of us do on here; use firearms appropriate to the situation and that Adler works a lot better than an expensive O/U where I go...
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jan 2020, 3:02 pm

I tried to find one video of an Adler shooting more than one shot at a clay pigeon launched from a thrower and the only one I can find is my own videos.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by 8x57 » 11 Jan 2020, 4:57 pm

The Adler is a great scrub gun mine has had a slick kit fitted so it’s cycles very quickly and smoothly, I’ve shot clays with it but would recommend a double barrel if clays are your main reason for getting a shotgun. Or get one of each you can never have enough guns.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2020, 7:02 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:...it does a pretty good job at hitting stationary AND moving targets, up close and personal that aren’t made of little bits of clay.

And yet this thread is _specifically_ about shooting clays.

You can shoot clays with virtually anything, if that's all you have. But for somebody wanting help deciding on buying a shotgun for clays I wouldn't be recommending anything other than a double, and preferably under/over.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 11 Jan 2020, 7:37 pm

I did say at the start of this thread I’d never use a lever action for clays and recommended an O/U. I’m very aware of that limitation but this thread then took a bit of “fork” re the Adlers ability.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 12 Jan 2020, 9:11 am

Sorry about the delayed response Lads. I was at work yesterday and posted this thread on my lunch break :)

BladeRacer; Thank you for your feedback. I will look into getting a double gun, under/over :)

Duncan61; Thank you for your feedback. I love the concept of the lever action. The lever action, it reminds me of the old wild west in America lol But yeah true, if it’s not appropriate for clay target shooting, then ill forget about it. I’ll definitely look into the CBC single :)

JimTom; Thank you for your feedback. I’ll look into the under and over for sure :)

Ferrisweil; Thank you for your feedback. I will definitely look into the Churchill O/U :)

Mchughcb; Thank you for your feedback. I will definitely look into the 2 barrel gun as well as the miroku under and over :)

GojiraSteve; Yes, I agree the Over and Unders seem to be the way to go for sure :)

Azza’s HJ47; Thank you for your feedback. Ah okay, it’s good to know that the adler does become smooth with the slick kit. I will look into that for sure. I love the adler but yeah, the only thing that I disliked about it was the stiffness of the action, but if that can be fixed, then that's awesome news! :)

8x57; Thank you for your feedback. Thank you for letting me know that the Adler’s action does become very quick and smooth once you add the slick kit to it. Thank you :) Yeah, I really wanna get into clay target shooting, so I’ll probably getta double barrel. Knowing me, ill probably get both! Haha :) Yes I agree, you can never have enough guns. Welcome to the gun show haha :)

Thank you for your feedback everyone. I know nothing about shotguns. But you guys definitely gave me plenty of information to start off with, to work with

Thank you so much

You guys are absolute legends :thumbsup:

God bless you all

I hope that everybody is having a nice relaxing week end :)
:drinks:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jt-2019 » 09 Feb 2020, 6:31 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Hey Lads

I hope that everybody is well

I've only shot rifles so far
(Target shooting)
Which I've enjoyed so much so far
It's been great
I've been loving it

However, I was thinking of getting into "Clay Target Shooting" as well
And so I was thinking of maybe perhaps purchasing the "Adler A110 lever action"

However;
The one thing that I really dislike about the Adler is that the action seems so incredibly stiff and rigid in every single demonstration that I've seen of it so far

That puts me off of it A LOT
It's such a truly unpleasant/nasty experience for me when a firearm has a stiff/rigid action
It's just not a nice feeling
It kinda ruins the experience a lot

So
What do you guys reckon?
Is the Adler A110 worth it?
Or is there a better shotgun in the same price range that you guys would recommend?

Hey mate I've shot clays with an adler it was the 16" and it runs fine actually makes it a much more enjoyable experience working the lever if you miss the first shot it's still fun.
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.