Dickinson Straight Pull Limiter

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Dickinson Straight Pull Limiter

Post by Crazy » 28 Mar 2020, 5:26 pm

Recently brought Dickinson 6 shot straight pull and found that it has a limiter in it for whatever reason and is limited to 2 shots. Anyone have any idea on how to dissemble to mag tube to remove the limiter. Cheers. :drinks: .
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Dickinson Straight Pull Limiter

Post by bladeracer » 28 Mar 2020, 6:10 pm

Crazy wrote:Recently brought Dickinson 6 shot straight pull and found that it has a limiter in it for whatever reason and is limited to 2 shots. Anyone have any idea on how to dissemble to mag tube to remove the limiter. Cheers. :drinks: .

Do you mean five-shot?
Mine has a four-shell tube plus one in the chamber.
I think it came with the mag limiter separately, I haven't used it. But I would guess you just unscrew the plug in the end of the tube and the guts will fall out.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Crazy » 28 Mar 2020, 6:58 pm

Do you mean five-shot?
Mine has a four-shell tube plus one in the chamber.
I think it came with the mag limiter separately, I haven't used it. But I would guess you just unscrew the plug in the end of the tube and the guts will fall out.

They make a 6 shot version which is the one i got but yeah they do also make the 4 shot version which you have. It's just weird because from what i can tell there no way of really getting into the tube. I had a crack at removing the end bit with little success. I'm just scared I'm going to break something at this point if i tried any harder.
Last edited by Crazy on 17 Apr 2020, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by poid » 29 Mar 2020, 7:24 am

Twist off the cap that is at the front of the tube, under the muzzle. It just unscrews. You'll see a bit of round plastic on top of the thread for that cap, pull on that with a pair of pliers and you'll see it is a plastic tube. That's the limiter, so just pull it out and replace the cap.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 29 Mar 2020, 7:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:Do you mean five-shot?
I would guess you just unscrew the plug in the end of the tube and the guts will fall out.

It seems to be more than that. I tried removing it and the spring in the magazine tube jammed up and didn't didn't have enough tension to push new rounds onto the carrier.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by MontyShooter » 30 Mar 2020, 6:57 pm

U sure you're not testing this with plastic snap caps?
They are notorious for jamming in these tubes.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Crazy » 16 Apr 2020, 7:26 pm

So pretty much like mentioned there is a black plug on the end of the tube after you unscrew the cap holding the barrel to the tube and receiver. I am not old enough to have lived before 1996 or lucky enough to have experienced a semi-auto or pump shotgun, so a straight pull is the closest thing i have gotten to one so i really don't have the experience with one to take it apart so cheers for the help. On another note is the capacity caped because its a US hunting law thing or are there capacity limits for shotguns while hunting such as duck hunting in Vic?
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by poid » 16 Apr 2020, 9:11 pm

It looks like it is a US hunting law, you can't hunt waterfowl with a shotgun that can hold more than three shells, unless you plug it with a one-piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun. That plug looks made exactly for that.

The Dickinson is my first shotty as well, my LGS was good enough to show me how it assembles and run through things like the plug and chokes. You can also get swivel mounts from Dickinson for a sling: one screws onto to the tube cap at the front and one into the stock. Useful when carrying it around the farm.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Crazy » 17 Apr 2020, 6:15 pm

poid wrote:It looks like it is a US hunting law, you can't hunt waterfowl with a shotgun that can hold more than three shells, unless you plug it with a one-piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun. That plug looks made exactly for that.

The Dickinson is my first shotty as well, my LGS was good enough to show me how it assembles and run through things like the plug and chokes. You can also get swivel mounts from Dickinson for a sling: one screws onto to the tube cap at the front and one into the stock. Useful when carrying it around the farm.

Been looking at options of modifications to make the shotgun meet my need better and a sling is one where about's are you able to get the sling mounts? Also i was thinking of putting a side saddle on it but I'm not to sure that it is able to be done without gunsmithing work. Any thoughts. :drinks:
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by poid » 17 Apr 2020, 6:31 pm

Hopefully most stores who carry the gun will have them or can get them in, this is what you're looking for and then a sling that doesnt already have swivel mounts attached:

https://www.gunworld.com.au/dickinson-t1000-swivel-set

I don't see an obvious way to mount a saddle on there, hadn't thought about that before. I have one of these on the way, I ordered a riser for another rifle and figured I may as well get this for the shotgun while I'm already paying for shipping:

https://www.beartooth-products.com/coll ... tgun-black

Hasn't arrived yet so not sure how good it is, or whether there will be any annoyance/interference from having shells on the stock.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 18 Apr 2020, 8:19 pm

Crazy wrote: i was thinking of putting a side saddle on it but I'm not to sure that it is able to be done without gunsmithing work. Any thoughts. :drinks:

I'm not too concerned about aesthetics I just needed a functional way to carry more shells so I got a $5 fabric eBay saddle that had double sided tape to stick it to the side of the gun. It's been there six months now and is still firmly attached.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.