Stirling 12g Folding Shotgun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Stirling 12g Folding Shotgun

Post by Taboose » 05 Apr 2020, 3:23 pm

Hi all,

I have recently bought a Stirling Folding Shotgun, 12g, single barrel, and I would put it at about a 30inch barrel.

Let’s say first of all it’s in need of a bit of love but that’s half the reason I bought it. Picked it up for $100 plus PTA.

Only thing is I can’t seem to find any info about how these came to be in Australia, stamped “made in Italy” on the firearm, and I’ll be looking into the serial number as I believe the Italian made ones will indicate production year.

Does anybody have any useful information on these?

Thanks
Taboose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Stirling 12g Folding Shotgun

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2020, 10:44 pm

Im interested to. Have one also. My fav 12g, light and handy.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Stirling 12g Folding Shotgun

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Apr 2020, 4:06 am

G'day Taboose,
Welcome aboard. The Sterling Mavi (maker M.A.V.I di Salvinelli) poachers gun was sold all over the world, quite popular in NZ in the 70's. They were available in 12g, 12g 3", 20g, and 410 and in 1976 in NZ were $69.95. They were a bit dearer than the Baikal single but the same price as a Winchester 37A. Always thought they were better made than the Winnie, Cheers.
PS: The serial number won't help date the gun as it wasn't high enough quality for anyone to bother keeping data on it. The Proof Marks will help date it though, just look for a Roman Numeral on the barrel or action flats, and add that to 1945 to get the year, ie: XXV = 25, so year of proof will be 25 + 1945 = 1970, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.