Sulun Arms tac 12

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Sulun Arms tac 12

Post by Patriot » 19 Dec 2020, 5:07 pm

Woden wrote:Finally picked up my Tac-12 only today. Impressed with the build and dry function but have some reservations about the tan cerakote finish (patchy - may wipe up okay) and the lack of documentation.

I'm a shotgun newbie so I have no idea what the chokes are in the package. They only have notches to distinguish them. I know I can probably YouTube some info but a simple addition explaining the different chokes and their use would have been appreciated.

If anyone owns a Tac-12 and can help me out with a quick rundown of the chokes I would be very happy to read your advice. I know they vary the pattern but I don't know which is which.

I also bought a 2-pack Spika 12ga snap cap set to dry fire without damaging anything.

My TAC 12 did come with a instruction manual although it was specifically for the semi automatic version, not much difference though.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Woden » 21 Dec 2020, 1:11 pm

Got myself a Vickers 2-point sling for the Tac-12. However, the rear clip is tiny and I'm not sure it will pull out or screw out to replace it with a bigger one.

Solutions?
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 21 Dec 2020, 1:12 pm

Woden wrote:Got myself a Vickers 2-point sling for the Tac-12. However, the rear clip is tiny ,,,

Sorry, referring to the clip on the stock of the Tac-12 where you attach a sling.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Medb » 21 Dec 2020, 11:36 pm

Woden wrote:
Woden wrote:Got myself a Vickers 2-point sling for the Tac-12. However, the rear clip is tiny ,,,

Sorry, referring to the clip on the stock of the Tac-12 where you attach a sling.

It's just a standard quick detach sling swivel, you can depress the middle button portion of it and pull it out to remove it.You can then move it to the other side, or replace it with a different one. I have the same sling and just use the swivels that came on it, I didn't find them too small for that particular sling.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Woden » 23 Dec 2020, 7:10 am

Okay, the rear swivel does unscrew. Just had to use a bit of pressure and not be a wimp. Replaced easily with larger swivel to accommodate the Vickers Sling. All good.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rat » 27 Dec 2020, 11:58 pm

bcr83 wrote:Good stuff mate. I saw your red dot on it, makes sense.

My kahles red dot will go straight on picatinny but will probably rule out using stock sights.

How do you find the Kahles red dot looking at this or the Vortex venom. Just ordered a tac-12 (black) first thing I want for it is a Red dot.
Any chance of some better pics of the mesa saddle. Not sure I can fit one and still close the safe.

thx
Rat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 28 Dec 2020, 12:49 pm

I've seen the videos on YouTube saying the tac 12 isn't good for clays. I understand it has a short barrel and isn't as fast as a break open but would it be enough to hit the targets?
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Woden » 28 Dec 2020, 3:26 pm

linkoln wrote:I've seen the videos on YouTube saying the tac 12 isn't good for clays. I understand it has a short barrel and isn't as fast as a break open but would it be enough to hit the targets?

Will let you know early in the new year when I take it to the Sydney ISC.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 30 Dec 2020, 11:12 am

linkoln wrote:I've seen the videos on YouTube saying the tac 12 isn't good for clays. I understand it has a short barrel and isn't as fast as a break open but would it be enough to hit the targets?

Mate I’ve busted heaps of clays with mine, no problems.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by junjun » 11 Jan 2021, 8:43 pm

hey peeps. I took it apart and now i have trouble putting it back together. i put the trigger group in ok, bolt goes in, i cant slide the bolt open and i cant slide the barrel all the way in. what am i doing wrong?
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 11 Jan 2021, 8:54 pm

junjun wrote:hey peeps. I took it apart and now i have trouble putting it back together. i put the trigger group in ok, bolt goes in, i cant slide the bolt open and i cant slide the barrel all the way in. what am i doing wrong?

I don't have one yet but maybe this helps

https://youtu.be/Br5S2eFOIQU
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by junjun » 11 Jan 2021, 9:35 pm

linkoln wrote:
junjun wrote:hey peeps. I took it apart and now i have trouble putting it back together. i put the trigger group in ok, bolt goes in, i cant slide the bolt open and i cant slide the barrel all the way in. what am i doing wrong?

I don't have one yet but maybe this helps

https://youtu.be/Br5S2eFOIQU

Yeah sorted. I just need to align the piece of arm from the bolt to the spring on the buttstock. To be fair, it's actually very easy take down for cleaning.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Woden » 18 Mar 2021, 8:19 am

Really happy with my Tac-12.

Cycles well and the sights are simple yet effective.

Good feel to the firearm - shoulders well and the pinned stock is not an issue (I'm 6' tall with longish arms).

Finish is good and the bag included does the job.

Took it to the Olympic shooting range and it busted clays fine although they would only allow me to manually load single shells. All good.

What more can you ask for?

Now I'm waiting to see if the distributor is importing accessories for it...
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 18 Mar 2021, 9:05 am

Anyone looking for a nice looking charging handle this one fits and functions perfectly. It snaps into place, holds the bolt open on the last shot and is easy to use.
Only down side is it fits so well it sits close to the frame and could scratch after a few shots but I just put some black electrical tape underneath and you can barely see it.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Woden » 18 Mar 2021, 7:56 pm

linkoln wrote:Anyone looking for a nice looking charging handle this one fits and functions perfectly. It snaps into place, holds the bolt open on the last shot and is easy to use.
Only down side is it fits so well it sits close to the frame and could scratch after a few shots but I just put some black electrical tape underneath and you can barely see it.

Nice...
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rat » 08 Oct 2021, 12:32 am

linkoln wrote:Anyone looking for a nice looking charging handle this one fits and functions perfectly. It snaps into place, holds the bolt open on the last shot and is easy to use.

Where did you order it from?
Rat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 09 Oct 2021, 1:10 pm

Rat wrote:

Where did you order it from?

I got it from Brownells. They have an importer in Canberra who looks after the Australian version of the site so I sent them an email about it and they got back to me in literally 30 seconds later and added it to their site so I could order it.

https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php? ... t_id=89513
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Rat » 01 Dec 2021, 8:07 pm

linkoln wrote:I got it from Brownells. They have an importer in Canberra who looks after the Australian version of the site so I sent them an email about it and they got back to me in literally 30 seconds later and added it to their site so I could order it.

https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php? ... t_id=89513

Thanks for that just ordered one.
Rat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cloudsurfer » 26 Dec 2021, 8:36 pm

Keen to refresh this thread as I'm currently going through the accessory options.
What Red Dot that mounts on the picatinny rail do you recommend?

I have a surefire torch that I'd love to mount on the Tac 12, can you pls recommend a mount for it?
In terms of the shell holder, is this the correct one and will it mount easily
https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php? ... ct_id=4761

The other one from Mesa includes the picatinny rail, which is overkill I thought and I can't find a distro in Australia:
https://www.mesatactical.com/products/s ... -2-in.html

Thanks in advance for help.
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cloudsurfer » 27 Dec 2021, 4:47 pm

Medb wrote:In regards to some of the accessories people were talking about/interested in.

Of what I tested so far:

Mesa side saddle & rail - Fits, the holes in the receiver line up perfectly and it goes on no problem. This also means other accessories that utilize the top of the receiver like the Scalarworks RMR mount should fit.

Replacement handguards - Fits, there is a couple designed for benelli m4 so if one fits the rest probably will.

Benelli/Beretta chokes - Fits. It came with 5 regular chokes & tool + a ported breaching style choke (looks like the carlsons one)

Benelli U.S.A Bolt Handle (Mfr Part: 70041) - Fits but doesn't stay in the action, just hops right back out and wouldn't lock in place. Apparently bolt handles for the Benelli m4 are a bit finicky. Some are designed for multiple models (m1,m2,m4) but have issues with the M4 since it has a different mechanism to hold the bolt handle in place, while other companies make specific handles just for the m4. So some different handles may work, but the one I tried didn't.

Also pleasantly surprised how light it is, very nice weight for a shotgun. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it cycles dummy rounds very nicely.

IMG_20200710_220039.jpg

I'd love to hear how you mounted that Surefire torch mate?
Also where did you buy the Mesa Side saddle?

Thanks.
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by womble » 08 Jan 2022, 4:48 am

In woden’s absence, i think the torch comes with that mount. It’s an m-lok pivoting mount, can be rotated and tightened at desired angle.
The sidesaddle. Expensive yes. On back order order everywhere. Email mesatactical direct. Hypothetically they ship some stuff worldwide in theory. Not saying they do or dont, just saying.
They did improve on their older sidesadlles by changing the material, allowing them to actually hold the shells in place, which was a huge improvement. so you want a later version.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 08 Jan 2022, 4:53 am

Or for like ten bucks you can get a far superior buttstock elastic one.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cloudsurfer » 09 Jan 2022, 9:35 pm

womble wrote:In woden’s absence, i think the torch comes with that mount. It’s an m-lok pivoting mount, can be rotated and tightened at desired angle.
The sidesaddle. Expensive yes. On back order order everywhere. Email mesatactical direct. Hypothetically they ship some stuff worldwide in theory. Not saying they do or dont, just saying.
They did improve on their older sidesadlles by changing the material, allowing them to actually hold the shells in place, which was a huge improvement. so you want a later version.

Thanks mate, I actually try to find the Essac side saddle now, much cheaper and reusable I suppose, could even buy two and be able to pull off and slap a new one on in no time....
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cloudsurfer » 11 Jan 2022, 11:27 am

Quick update, I contacted Essac and although they technically don't ship to Australia due to the political situation, they make exceptions for civilians.
They are very supportive of the situation here and were very generous as well. I can highly recommend them. Go check them out!
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Moto » 14 Jan 2022, 2:27 pm

Medb wrote:Small update

I said I wasn't going to bother with any more charging handles but my curiosity got the better of me and I ordered another one. I got the Benelli M4 combat charging handle made by S&J Hardware. I suspected this one would probably fit since the company that makes it in Canada also sells the Turknelli, and they have advertised & sell this part as part of a "upgrade" package for the Turknelli.

And I can confirm it does indeed work with the Tac-12, It locks in slot nice and tightly, and takes a solid amount more force than the stock charging handle to remove. Functionally wise it doesn't really offer any advantage over the stock one though, it just closer matches the aesthetics of the actual Benelli by having a smaller profile than the large knob of the Tac-12. It's a decent amount shorter so if you like doing that funky left hand under the receiver cycling motion it makes that a bit harder to execute.

The red dot mount also arrived which fits nicely, and there is a few shells poking out from the shell carrier on the left of the receiver.

IMG_20200731_232207.jpg

Hi Medb

I appreciate its been a while since your post but I'm hoping you could help me. Where did you get your red dot mount for your Trijicon on the Tac-12? Mount looks like a Scalarworks SYNC/01. Can't find anyone who is willing to ship one to Aus.

Many thanks
Moto
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cloudsurfer » 22 Jan 2022, 3:03 pm

I can't for the life of me get the replacement handle in, it seems not to go in deep enough to snap into place. I pushed and turned like a maniac. The standard handle goes in and out without issues.... any help??
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by womble » 22 Jan 2022, 4:41 pm

Compare the two, spot the difference. Take measurements. Figure out where to go from there. Might just be a light file.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 23 Jan 2022, 9:26 am

cloudsurfer wrote:

I can't for the life of me get the replacement handle in, it seems not to go in deep enough to snap into place. I pushed and turned like a maniac. The standard handle goes in and out without issues.... any help??

Any particular reason for replacing the charging handle? It looks a lot smaller than the original.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2022, 1:52 pm

cloudsurfer wrote:I can't for the life of me get the replacement handle in, it seems not to go in deep enough to snap into place. I pushed and turned like a maniac. The standard handle goes in and out without issues.... any help??

Getting the bolt handle out of my T1000 the first time had me tearing my hair out. I rounded off the detent slightly before reinstalling it to make future removal easier.

Can you post close up photos of the detent end of both handles?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 25 Jan 2022, 10:06 pm

cloudsurfer wrote:

That's strange mine pops right in it does need a bit of firm pressure but I've never had any trouble.
Mine didn't look like I was long enough and I was wondering if it would go in but it did.
I'd like to see a picture of it too maybe there is a manufacturing defect making it hard to get in.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.