Semi auto 12 gauge

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Semi auto 12 gauge

Post by Shootermick » 27 May 2020, 6:01 pm

I put up a post the other day mentioning the Dickinson semi auto shotgun and it didn’t seem to get much love.
So what other 12 gauge semi autos have people liked and disliked? An A5 would be my first choice, but new ones are a bit dear, I’m keeping my eye out tor a good used one though.
. When you can only have one, you have to choose carefully, and I guess they might be hard enough to on sell as not everyone can own one.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Semi auto 12 gauge

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2020, 6:06 pm

It’s diff to remember stuff we enjoyed and operated 25 years ago
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 27 May 2020, 6:09 pm

Blr243 wrote:It’s diff to remember stuff we enjoyed and operated 25 years ago

Yeah, I had one back in the day, a Beretta A301 that I handed in, should’ve tried to keep it.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 27 May 2020, 6:36 pm

Benelli m4
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 27 May 2020, 6:45 pm

The Dickinson is likely the pick of the bunch in it’s price bracket. The straight pull version being well received here compared to other Turkish imports.
Not a big outlay and you’d have a warranty.
Whereas a well renowned brand would be 2 to 3 times the price and you’d probably have to import.
The Dickinson is a fairly simple inertia design, based on a benelli system because it seems all their patents are expiring in recent years.
Fairly simple, easy to strip and clean, low maintenance. Comes in black. What more do you need
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 27 May 2020, 7:14 pm

womble wrote:The Dickinson is likely the pick of the bunch in it’s price bracket. The straight pull version being well received here compared to other Turkish imports.
Not a big outlay and you’d have a warranty.
Whereas a well renowned brand would be 2 to 3 times the price and you’d probably have to import.
The Dickinson is a fairly simple inertia design, based on a benelli system because it seems all their patents are expiring in recent years.
Fairly simple, easy to strip and clean, low maintenance. Comes in black. What more do you need

Yeah, I’m still a bit keen in the Dickinson, it’ll be my second 12 gauge anyway. What did you mean in my last thread about the Dickinson when you said “seems like a good time to buy some pvc pipe”? I thought you were having a go at Dickinson but maybe you weren’t?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 May 2020, 7:18 pm

G'day Shootermick,
The Remington 1100 and Winchester 1400 were among the most popular auto shotties, being almost 1/2 the price of a Browning 2000 and in my eyes better looking. I had a Winchester for ducks and rabbits, and a SPAS 12 for the pigs, and anything else close up. The Turkish guns are OK, not top of the line but good workhorse shotties that should do you for basic field use. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 27 May 2020, 7:42 pm

The spas 12 was an evil looking beast of a thing and you could get drum mags for it, operated as semi or pump.
I wonder where they all ended up.

The pvc pipe thing was an inside joke, not a slur on the gun.

The Remington or Winchester would be the next step up price wise and nicely finished, but who stocks anything here with our limited market
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 27 May 2020, 7:44 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Benelli m4

Probably around 4-5 grand. But yeah john wick has one :)
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 27 May 2020, 7:47 pm

Haha i could’nt afford the spas 12 because it was about 1200 bucks or like a months wages.
I think they got banned in just about every country
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 27 May 2020, 7:54 pm

Good old PVC pipe hey. My mate in NZ was telling me he could not find any on the shelfs around the end of march 2019. Actually now that I remember my uncle bought a hell of a lot of PVC pipe back in 1996. Must of been doing a few home renos because everyone knows a baker needs a lot of PVC pipe. I should go visit him one of these days.

There is a link between PVC pipe sales and historical events but I cant remember what it is...….
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 27 May 2020, 7:56 pm

womble wrote:The spas 12 was an evil looking beast of a thing and you could get drum mags for it, operated as semi or pump.
I wonder where they all ended up.

The pvc pipe thing was an inside joke, not a slur on the gun.

The Remington or Winchester would be the next step up price wise and nicely finished, but who stocks anything here with our limited market

Cheers womble.
There are definitely limited choices for semi autos, couple of cheap Turkish options and then 2.5k and up for the higher end stuff.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 27 May 2020, 8:08 pm

My first 12g (about 1977) was a semi auto Franchi (model 500 I think). It was crazy fussy about it’s fodder and was a world champion at jamming. I ended up trading it in on a Mossberg pump that couldn’t be jammed if you stuffed a dead cat in it. That Franchi put me off semi autos for ever.
Last edited by Noisydad on 28 May 2020, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2020, 8:39 pm

I think if you were buying pvc pipe and caps at Bunnings , and there was also a police officer in the que, there’s a chance he may follow you and write down your number plate.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 27 May 2020, 9:05 pm

Blr243 wrote:I think if you were buying pvc pipe and caps at Bunnings , and there was also a police officer in the que, there’s a chance he may follow you and write down your number plate.

I need to buy my fertiliser, nails and diesel from different stores then hey. :sarcasm:
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 27 May 2020, 9:08 pm

Cheers for mentioning the spas lads. Italians make crap rifles and handguns but I always have liked their shotguns.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 27 May 2020, 9:14 pm

How about a Canadian tac 12. Look at that smile on old mates face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X07fUfhe2s
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 27 May 2020, 10:09 pm

My dad had a Breda it was Italian and bloody awesome (a clone of the a5)
I got my hands on an old skb xl900, manufactured in Japan, Ithaca used to rebadge them and sell them in the U.S. the new skb's are Turkish crap.
Its like any gun everyone will have their favourite brands and recommend them, best thing is to shoulder one and see if you like how it feels.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 28 May 2020, 3:55 am

Noisydad wrote:My first 12g (about 1977) was a semi auto Franchi (model 500 I think). It was crazy fussy about it’s fodder and was a world champion at jamming. I ended up trading it in on a Mossberg pump that could be jammed if you stuffed a dead cat it. That Franchi put me off semi autos for ever.

I had a benelli riot gun, which was very nice and smooth.i think it was 8 +1 But i got rid of it because everyone wants a go and it basically got used as a hold my beer gun. And then theres no shells left for the trip.
I got the mossberg maverick 88 after that because it was cheap and i thought it looked cool. But i did’nt really ever take to it. It had some silly heat shield on it too which just made it more of a pain in the ass to clean.

If I’m being honest with myself i would’nt buy either again if i was allowed to.
But because I’m no longer allowed to somehow i want one and i probably would’nt even use it.
Wierd.
But the crux of it is, somehow at 17-18 years old you are considered responsible enough to own one. And somehow that works, because if you give a young man responsibility he will live up to it. Because he wants to recognised as a responsible adult that people can depend on.
And then today that same bloke now in his 50’s cannot be trusted apparently. Now bear in mind this is a guy who’s led a clean life and never caused any trouble, or he would’nt have a current firearms licence. He’s probably raised a family and managed a business and his counsel is of strong merit.
So One questions that. . And theres no reason to be found. But there should be a sound reason and if provided, again that same bloke would understand because it would relate to common sense.

The only reason they give is high suicide rates, but the necessity for a second follow up shot to your own brain with a 12 gauge shotgun. I really don’t think that’s going to be possible.
And then one logically concludes the people who made that law must be remarkably stupid.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 May 2020, 5:08 am

Maybe check out the local sleet club. See what's popular there.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 28 May 2020, 8:16 pm

i wouldnt pick an a5 as my first choice.
id honestly looks for a pump 12g....or something gas operated if you had to go semi auto
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 28 May 2020, 9:30 pm

cracker wrote:i wouldnt pick an a5 as my first choice.
id honestly looks for a pump 12g....or something gas operated if you had to go semi auto

A few farmers around where I grew up had A5’s back in the day, for me there is just something old school cool about them. Agreed that they might not be the most practical choice though. They still make them and the new ones look pretty nice. I had a gas operated Beretta years ago too, but I also like the simplicity of a recoil/inertia action.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 29 May 2020, 12:29 am

i shoot a 1187 remington they are a little on the heavy side the mossberg 930 is selling well and is much lighter
Attachments
mossberg-930-home-defense.jpg
mossberg-930-home-defense.jpg (11.95 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
634080_ts.jpg
634080_ts.jpg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 29 May 2020, 5:51 am

The a5 is some really old tech. And it’s banned haha. That’s hilarious.
Soon you”ll be allowed to own a stick and they will impose a ban on boomerangs.
Man i can’t wait for the boomerang buy back plan.
I won’t even have to go to Bunnings. Yes officer it’s a bent stick, hmm about 50 bucks.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 29 May 2020, 7:10 am

womble wrote:The a5 is some really old tech. And it’s banned haha. That’s hilarious.
I won’t even have to go to Bunnings. Yes officer it’s a bent stick, hmm about 50 bucks.

I didn’t realise it was banned, is it because it’s a 5 shot, plus one in the chamber which makes it 6?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 29 May 2020, 9:19 am

Just banned cat ab
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 29 May 2020, 9:35 am

i have 2 a5 brownings one a light 12 and the othere a sweet 16 they were my dads i have gifted them one each to my sons
Attachments
FB_IMG_1498437937273.jpg
FB_IMG_1498437937273.jpg (50.19 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by glenn777 » 29 May 2020, 10:19 am

womble wrote:The a5 is some really old tech. And it’s banned haha. That’s hilarious.

Well they are banning lengths of pipe as 'precursors' so it's not so far fetched.
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by womble » 29 May 2020, 3:01 pm

Don’t get me wrong, the a5 is a beautiful piece of machinery. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MfLYgTe6NI
So is a steam train.
I just can’t imagine any self respecting mass shooter using one. The other mass murderers would laugh at him, with their new fancy ar15s.
But that sort of old time craftsmanship. That’s heritage. Cat a/b should’nt be told they can’t own that.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 01 Jun 2020, 8:10 pm

So I made a choice today and settled on a used Franchi Affinity, 4 plus 1, 26” barrel. 3-400 rounds through it. See how it goes when the permit comes in and I take it home.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.