Semi auto 12 gauge

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Semi auto 12 gauge

Post by womble » 28 May 2020, 3:55 am

Noisydad wrote:My first 12g (about 1977) was a semi auto Franchi (model 500 I think). It was crazy fussy about it’s fodder and was a world champion at jamming. I ended up trading it in on a Mossberg pump that could be jammed if you stuffed a dead cat it. That Franchi put me off semi autos for ever.

I had a benelli riot gun, which was very nice and smooth.i think it was 8 +1 But i got rid of it because everyone wants a go and it basically got used as a hold my beer gun. And then theres no shells left for the trip.
I got the mossberg maverick 88 after that because it was cheap and i thought it looked cool. But i did’nt really ever take to it. It had some silly heat shield on it too which just made it more of a pain in the ass to clean.

If I’m being honest with myself i would’nt buy either again if i was allowed to.
But because I’m no longer allowed to somehow i want one and i probably would’nt even use it.
Wierd.
But the crux of it is, somehow at 17-18 years old you are considered responsible enough to own one. And somehow that works, because if you give a young man responsibility he will live up to it. Because he wants to recognised as a responsible adult that people can depend on.
And then today that same bloke now in his 50’s cannot be trusted apparently. Now bear in mind this is a guy who’s led a clean life and never caused any trouble, or he would’nt have a current firearms licence. He’s probably raised a family and managed a business and his counsel is of strong merit.
So One questions that. . And theres no reason to be found. But there should be a sound reason and if provided, again that same bloke would understand because it would relate to common sense.

The only reason they give is high suicide rates, but the necessity for a second follow up shot to your own brain with a 12 gauge shotgun. I really don’t think that’s going to be possible.
And then one logically concludes the people who made that law must be remarkably stupid.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 May 2020, 5:08 am

Maybe check out the local sleet club. See what's popular there.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 28 May 2020, 8:16 pm

i wouldnt pick an a5 as my first choice.
id honestly looks for a pump 12g....or something gas operated if you had to go semi auto
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 28 May 2020, 9:30 pm

cracker wrote:i wouldnt pick an a5 as my first choice.
id honestly looks for a pump 12g....or something gas operated if you had to go semi auto

A few farmers around where I grew up had A5’s back in the day, for me there is just something old school cool about them. Agreed that they might not be the most practical choice though. They still make them and the new ones look pretty nice. I had a gas operated Beretta years ago too, but I also like the simplicity of a recoil/inertia action.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 29 May 2020, 12:29 am

i shoot a 1187 remington they are a little on the heavy side the mossberg 930 is selling well and is much lighter
Attachments
mossberg-930-home-defense.jpg
mossberg-930-home-defense.jpg (11.95 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
634080_ts.jpg
634080_ts.jpg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 29 May 2020, 5:51 am

The a5 is some really old tech. And it’s banned haha. That’s hilarious.
Soon you”ll be allowed to own a stick and they will impose a ban on boomerangs.
Man i can’t wait for the boomerang buy back plan.
I won’t even have to go to Bunnings. Yes officer it’s a bent stick, hmm about 50 bucks.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 29 May 2020, 7:10 am

womble wrote:The a5 is some really old tech. And it’s banned haha. That’s hilarious.
I won’t even have to go to Bunnings. Yes officer it’s a bent stick, hmm about 50 bucks.

I didn’t realise it was banned, is it because it’s a 5 shot, plus one in the chamber which makes it 6?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 29 May 2020, 9:19 am

Just banned cat ab
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 29 May 2020, 9:35 am

i have 2 a5 brownings one a light 12 and the othere a sweet 16 they were my dads i have gifted them one each to my sons
Attachments
FB_IMG_1498437937273.jpg
FB_IMG_1498437937273.jpg (50.19 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by glenn777 » 29 May 2020, 10:19 am

womble wrote:The a5 is some really old tech. And it’s banned haha. That’s hilarious.

Well they are banning lengths of pipe as 'precursors' so it's not so far fetched.
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by womble » 29 May 2020, 3:01 pm

Don’t get me wrong, the a5 is a beautiful piece of machinery. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MfLYgTe6NI
So is a steam train.
I just can’t imagine any self respecting mass shooter using one. The other mass murderers would laugh at him, with their new fancy ar15s.
But that sort of old time craftsmanship. That’s heritage. Cat a/b should’nt be told they can’t own that.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 01 Jun 2020, 8:10 pm

So I made a choice today and settled on a used Franchi Affinity, 4 plus 1, 26” barrel. 3-400 rounds through it. See how it goes when the permit comes in and I take it home.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cracker » 02 Jun 2020, 8:19 pm

womble wrote:Don’t get me wrong, the a5 is a beautiful piece of machinery. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MfLYgTe6NI
So is a steam train.
I just can’t imagine any self respecting mass shooter using one. The other mass murderers would laugh at him, with their new fancy ar15s.
But that sort of old time craftsmanship. That’s heritage. Cat a/b should’nt be told they can’t own that.

i love mine, everything about it is super cool, its like shooting a steam train though lol
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Jun 2020, 8:44 pm

Shootermick wrote:So I made a choice today and settled on a used Franchi Affinity, 4 plus 1, 26” barrel. 3-400 rounds through it. See how it goes when the permit comes in and I take it home.

l always owned gas operated franchi's, 500's
they always worked for me unlike noisey's example
but l used to go through a hell of a lot of shots because l could
loved it although the affinity would be a good choice in camo :drinks:
good luck with it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 03 Jun 2020, 7:06 am

marksman wrote:
Shootermick wrote:So I made a choice today and settled on a used Franchi Affinity, 4 plus 1, 26” barrel. 3-400 rounds through it. See how it goes when the permit comes in and I take it home.

l always owned gas operated franchi's, 500's
they always worked for me unlike noisey's example
but l used to go through a hell of a lot of shots because l could
loved it although the affinity would be a good choice in camo :drinks:
good luck with it :thumbsup:

The Affinity is inertia operated with the spring around the mag tube in the fore end, black stock. The other choice was a Beretta that was really well used, if I bought it then I was going to try your pot belly paint job on it. But I decide to spend a bit more and save myself the project. I’ll keep the pot belly black in mind for a project another day.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 03 Jun 2020, 10:56 am

the franchi 500's l owned were usually black, silver side's with engraving that proved to be something the ducks could see from far away so l would hide the gun hunching over it then spring up and shoot when they were close enough but l know now from owning a fabarm camo that camo is a good thing

l used to put the ferrets down the burrows with a good shooting mate back to back so we didn't shoot at each other and wait for the rabbits to explode out of the burrow, we used to get hundreds of rabbits shooting that way

close hunting pigs through lignum was a lot safer with a semi auto shotgun especially when walking into tunnels and a giant snake would stick his head up
walking through crouched, hearing the oinking all around you then finding a small clearing full of pigs in the tunnels then BOOB BOOM BOOM

l also learnt how to shoot clays with a franchi, although at the field and game who held the clay shoots did not like semi auto shotguns because they could not see them broken, because they were not the type of gun they used is why they were happy to see them gone at the steal back, l still hate them for that

they are a very handy tool for eradicating pests and a lot of fun

your a lucky bloke to have one now and you will have a lot of fun with it :thumbsup: good for you mate :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brinny » 08 Jun 2020, 11:51 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Blr243 wrote:It’s diff to remember stuff we enjoyed and operated 25 years ago

Yeah, I had one back in the day, a Beretta A301 that I handed in, should’ve tried to keep it.

I had one of those as well....fantastic shottie....not an ounce of trouble and shot more foxes with it than i can remember....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.