Clay target shotgun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Clay target shotgun

Post by Vone » 26 Jun 2020, 5:24 pm

G'day all,

After some advice regarding a first shotgun for clay target. I'm looking at the Browning 525, Miroku 70 or Beretta Silver Pigeon in 12g 30 inch barrel.

Any advice on which of the above to get or any alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
CZ 457 American 22LR
Tikka T3x Lite 308
Vone
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Clay target shotgun

Post by milnops » 26 Jun 2020, 5:57 pm

All three are good quality and will last forever.. Go handle them all and see which fits best. If all else fails, buy the one you like the look of most.

I was in the same position and ended up with the Browning 525 spotter, it was most comfortable for me.
milnops
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jarhead » 26 Jun 2020, 6:07 pm

Hey Vone,

Get a Beretta!

Out of your 3 choices I have owned only Beretta shotguns so beware, I am biased.

Do you know which discipline you will shoot? There are 7 flavours of clays which I am aware of...….

1. Down the line
2. Olympic trap
3. Trench
4. American Skeet
5. Olympic skeet
6. 5 stand
7. Sporting clays

The reason I ask is that there are trap guns, skeet guns, and sporters and they are all similar but distinct. Trap guns can have a higher rib, Monte Carlo stock and usually have 70% of the shot above the front bead (trap targets appear to rise) . Skeet and Sporters have a lower rib and pattern 55-60% above. There is not much difference between a sporter and a skeet gun today- fixed skeet chokes are the only difference that come to mind. Olympic skeet guns tend to be light as speed to mount and track is key & lighter is faster.

If you aren't sure - get a sporter...If you get a Silver Pigeon- or for that matter any Beretta 68X- Sporter with screw in chokes you can do all of the above fairly well, and then trade up to dedicate trap or skeet gun later if you gravitate towards those disciplines.

Extended chokes are best for 5 stand and Sporting clays, as you can change them without tools easily on the fly between stations.

I initially bought a new ATA 686SE sporter (It is a Turkish copy of the Beretta 686) as my first (Australian) entry level gun. I got into skeet and upgraded about 5 years later to a Beretta 680 skeet gun with very low kilometers on the odometer. I then managed to sell the used ATA for $1 more than I paid for it new! I would do exactly the same thing again if I had to do it all again.

Where will you be shooting?
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 6:13 pm

I have kind of the same response as milnops.

Go shoulder them all & choose the one that fits...

Get an understanding of what to look for & how to tell if & when a shotty fits you though...
I dont have time to type this out right now...but the process of self testing can be easily misunderstood...

Anyway...as said, they'll all do the job...

I chose the Browning--biggest mistake of my life & ill never get a Browning again--certainly not pay full price for one anyway...

The Miroku was a very close to perfect fit but not quite as good as the Browning for me...

The one i recieved had completely different cast in the stock & LOP to what i tried as a test fit, & didnt come with recoil pad or the chokes advertised.

Winchester Australia refused to do anything about, & so they will cop this bad write up every time i see someone ask about which brand.

Bottom line is i would have been better off with the Miroku for a fit & chokes & case...BUT...If i had my time again, id go the Beretta hands down... :thumbsup:

Free stock mods & fitting to your body... :thumbsup: :clap:
And life time service... :thumbsup: :clap:

Why take a risk on an importer not willing to stand by their product or supply as demonstrated :thumbsdown: ... :unknown: my obvious suggestion is to pass on the Browning mate... :thumbsup:

Let us know what you get... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Vone » 27 Jun 2020, 9:51 am

Thanks for the replies.

Jarhead - a bit unsure what discipline at this stage. I do like the look of the Beretta but have heard that their quality is not what it once was. I have noticed this with my new Tikka T3x. Mold release marks on the stock and tarnishing of the barrel. Many say that Tikka's quality has drop off since Beretta have taken them over. Maybe I was just unlucky with mine.

Anyone bought a Beretta of late and had any issues?
CZ 457 American 22LR
Tikka T3x Lite 308
Vone
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by aimz » 27 Jun 2020, 2:58 pm

3rd year of owning a beretta silver pigeon sporter 30in no issues so far, no imperfections when new.
aimz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Jun 2020, 4:00 pm

One of the best pieces of advice given to me was - regardless of the model - get an adjustable comb. You need consistency with cheek weld and it needs to be achieved quickly.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Diamond Jim » 28 Jun 2020, 2:20 am

I own a vintage Browning and I'm very happy with it. That said, If I was buying a new gun I'd probably go Beretta for the sole reason that they have replaceable hinge pins to tighten the gun after many thousands of rounds. On my Browning that's a total rebuild that likely costs more than a new gun. Not sure about Mirouku but I think they are a derivation of the Browning design.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Jun 2020, 12:50 pm

G'day Vone,
Whoever told you the quality of the Beretta shotgun has fallen is really full of it. Ask yourself why almost every World Champion and Olympic shooter chooses Beretta? My next gun will be a Silver Pigeon (I'll keep the Winnie 101 for sentimental reasons) and as to fit, I will have my dealer get a Try Gun and then have Beretta fit up the appropriate stock to fit me perfectly. A free service Beretta offers that no other maker does, so buy a Beretta and have yourself measured for a proper fitting stock before you do, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 02 Jul 2020, 2:05 pm

Had a Beretta once, and really liked it, but I had trouble with the springs it and Beretta Aus were a tad useless in the repair dept so had a gunsmith take a look and he made the new springs and never had a problem back. I now have a Miroku nad that's a keeper. You get what you feel comfortable with, that's important.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.