Hunting: What are shotguns for?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Hunting: What are shotguns for?

Post by Diamond Jim » 10 Aug 2020, 10:11 pm

In my opinion a Shotgun and .22LR are the two "must have" firearms that every shooter should own. If a new shooter asked me where to start that's what I'd tell them. With those two you can target most game you are likely to encounter in Australia. I wouldn't recommend either for anything likely to kill you if you annoy it but if you are hunting buffalo or similar you already know that. An awful lot of bunnies, foxes, cats, pigs, roos, goats, ducks, geese, quail (try shooting one with a rifle!) have been taken without realising they had just been shot with a shotgun.
Last edited by Diamond Jim on 11 Aug 2020, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ferrisweil » 11 Aug 2020, 8:02 pm

Shotguns are just bloody good fun and think of them like adding another club to a golf bag. They are the right club for certain situations.
Awesome fun on pigs and great for chasing them in the really thick stuff... Also great shooting off the back of the ute and the quad bike chasing pigs across the stubble or the scrub.
I’m even contemplating throwing a thermal scope on one when stalking pigs at night....
There’s a LOT of uses for shotties; you just have to try a few things.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by luvmeadler » 11 Aug 2020, 8:33 pm

Had some success at around 70 metres with 6 to12 inch groups (Shooting 5 at a time into a old car bonnet) with rifled 1 oz slugs and a rifled barrel extension on the 20 inch adler with a little help from a red dot scope shooting on a bench.... certainly makes some nice holes so i would say whacking a porker shouldn't be a problem at 100 metres using slugs of course........
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 11 Aug 2020, 9:46 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:Shotguns are just bloody good fun and .....

....probably the most versatile firearm you can own. There is a reason that most settler farmers here and throughout the world owned a shotgun long before a rifle. By varying the shot size and charge they are capable of a range of applications that no rifle I can think of can approach. Rats in the barn through to dangerous game. A 12G has done and can still do it all - though not advised for either end of that spectrum almost everything in between is fair game if the user is prepared to work within the performance envelope. Some guides in Alaska and North America carry a shotgun as a backup against brown bear. Some African PHs are on record choosing a shotgun as the preferred equipment against leopard. These are creatures that can kill you. If it's good enough for them...well...that's good enough for me and Reynard or whatever I'm likely to find in the paddock.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Faedy » 12 Aug 2020, 12:23 am

Shotty and .22, most must have and versatile guns to own
Both are well capable of taking game easily at 50m, and bloody good fun to play around with
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Aug 2020, 9:54 am

Ok - do NOT EVER DO THIS.
Rumour (ahem) has it that a .50 calibre rifle cartridge, will lock up nice and central in 12g chambers...and that same rumour says that they will fire the projectile centrally down the barrel...
Why would you do this or risk it?? I have no idea.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by southwest shooter » 12 Aug 2020, 12:19 pm

Love the gauge.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 12 Aug 2020, 1:27 pm

Awesome TT. Now I can use my Adler to reach out further
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 12 Aug 2020, 1:38 pm

duncan61 wrote:We would go after goats and OO/SG in 12 bore will drop them out to 100 yards then if they were still kicking the other plumber would head them with the .222 or the boss would use the 30/06.

100 yards on goats with 00/SG? Sure you werent a couple dozen yards closer? A lucky pellet strike will kill anything but no way buckshot does that for regular shooting. Have you ever patterned 00/SG?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Aug 2020, 2:04 pm

Blr243 wrote:Awesome TT. Now I can use my Adler to reach out further

Here ya go:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sZaK7D4XVo8
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 12 Aug 2020, 3:24 pm

Hopefully , in the interests of a reasonably intelligent future generation , those blokes Will blow themselves up before they have a chance to breed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2020, 3:34 pm

Blr243 wrote:Hopefully , in the interests of a reasonably intelligent future generation , those blokes Will blow themselves up before they have a chance to breed

I've never seen anybody blow a gun doing that, very little pressure as the bullet doesn't fill the bore.
There's probably less pressure than a 12ga. shell.
I loved Barry :-(

EDIT: Found a video of Barry :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH-Lg8erHHs
Last edited by bladeracer on 12 Aug 2020, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 12 Aug 2020, 3:36 pm

Yes blade you are dead right
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Aug 2020, 4:25 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Ok - do NOT EVER DO THIS.
Rumour (ahem) has it that a .50 calibre rifle cartridge, will lock up nice and central in 12g chambers...and that same rumour says that they will fire the projectile centrally down the barrel...

ummm , that sounds like a job for the insurance add stunt man "captain risky" :lol:

might be interesting for a budget big game gun , but i don't reckon it'd do the shotty much good :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 12 Aug 2020, 5:56 pm

I killed a small pig with a single ssg pellet at a couple paces over 200 yards. I just emptied a semi auto at a disappearing mob and one fell. Just saying they will still hurt at range.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2020, 6:12 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Ok - do NOT EVER DO THIS.

.50BMG falls into a 12ga. chamber about 30mm, you need to wrap the case head with tape to get it to stay back far enough for the firing pin to hit it.
I don't think it can be described as "firing" the bullet down the barrel, the bullet just becomes a piece of "shrapnel", I'd be curious to see its velocity but I doubt it's much at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 12 Aug 2020, 6:13 pm

deanp100 wrote:I killed a small pig with a single ssg pellet at a couple paces over 200 yards. I just emptied a semi auto at a disappearing mob and one fell. Just saying they will still hurt at range.

yep as I said a lucky pellet can kill, 22LR still has energy to kill you at 700m after all. Thats not the same as presenting a case for 00/SG on goats at 100 yards.
Last edited by mickb on 12 Aug 2020, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2020, 6:13 pm

deanp100 wrote:I killed a small pig with a single ssg pellet at a couple paces over 200 yards. I just emptied a semi auto at a disappearing mob and one fell. Just saying they will still hurt at range.

I don't think anybody doubts that an SG at 200yds is going to be nasty.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 12 Aug 2020, 6:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:

They were ssg’ s. I thought it was only fair I gave it half a chance. If I was going to be completely bloody I would have opened my eyes.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2020, 6:30 pm

deanp100 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

They were ssg’ s. I thought it was only fair I gave it half a chance. If I was going to be completely bloody I would have opened my eyes.

That's still a 30gn ball :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Aug 2020, 6:48 pm

Another got captain insurance - Here’s one for the stupid among us - I told you shotguns were versatile / fun.
Put on your safety helmet and goggles and read the wind.
Walk into the middle of a paddock with a few no7 or 8 shells (DONT Go HEAVIER!!!). Now - try and shoot vertical, allowing for the wind and see if you can bounce a returning pellet off ya hard hat - don’t worry, they are falling quite lightly and won’t puncture anything. I’ve had them hit my skin - you barely notice...but it’s bloody difficult to get them falling back near you. Takes about 7-10 secs depending on wind lol.
Now - before anyone says how effing stupid - I get that and all. But - I once went on an organised duck shoot and I was warned that I might be hit with falling pellets...this, initially scared the crap out of me so uncle Bob, proved to me the above - alleviating my fears...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2020, 7:05 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Another got captain insurance - Here’s one for the stupid among us - I told you shotguns were versatile / fun.
Put on your safety helmet and goggles and read the wind.
Walk into the middle of a paddock with a few no7 or 8 shells (DONT Go HEAVIER!!!). Now - try and shoot vertical, allowing for the wind and see if you can bounce a returning pellet off ya hard hat - don’t worry, they are falling quite lightly and won’t puncture anything. I’ve had them hit my skin - you barely notice...but it’s bloody difficult to get them falling back near you. Takes about 7-10 secs depending on wind lol.
Now - before anyone says how effing stupid - I get that and all. But - I once went on an organised duck shoot and I was warned that I might be hit with falling pellets...this, initially scared the crap out of me so uncle Bob, proved to me the above - alleviating my fears...

I just watched a video a couple weeks ago where a young bloke fired 25rds of birdshot vertically. He couldn't get any to hit him, but he did manage to catch a few on a plastic sheet he'd laid out.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 12 Aug 2020, 9:56 pm

100 yards on goats with 00/SG? Sure you werent a couple dozen yards closer? A lucky pellet strike will kill anything but no way buckshot does that for regular shooting. Have you ever patterned 00/SG?
mickb

I have to agree on the distance call.It was probably closer to 70 yards.The deal with the boss was to try and drop the lead billy then the rest would mill around in confusion and everyone got stuck in.It happened a few times.The ballistic testing we did on king brown beer bottles was measured out with our construction tape at exactly 100 metres and as I mentioned before the pattern was less than a metre across and we were shooting from a slight rise in to a flat clay pan and you could still see the balls striking a long way in to the distance as they bounced downrange.the shot detonated the bottles which were already there from years ago and we swept up and took all the broken glass with us.I would say you need more than a wet greatcoat to stop OO/SG at 100 metres-
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.