Shot size for clays

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Shot size for clays

Post by Blr243 » 20 Aug 2020, 8:59 pm

I probably heading out to a remote grazing block shortly. The owner used to be quite serious about and excell in clay target shooting. He offered me to have a crack at it. I never done it before. I assume he has some sort of electric throwing machine .....I intended asking what likely shot size is most commonly used but then I thought I should just buy some bbs And I can always use them for foxes and cats as well. Is bb shot just one size too big ? Or is it way too big ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Shot size for clays

Post by Blr243 » 20 Aug 2020, 9:02 pm

I only have a short barrelled straight pull Adler with 3 different screw in chokes ......it’s got peep and post type sights on it. I’m assuming I’ll just ignore the sights and shoot instinctively over the barrel?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 20 Aug 2020, 9:12 pm

Hi mate, remove the sights (easy enough) and use the rib on the end of the barrel, looking through the mounting rail.

I'd use #7's on the clays, they're the standard target load and are quite cheap as well so thats a plus. If you must use something larger give #4's a try, they'll also be fine for rabbits and foxes.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2020, 9:24 pm

Blr243 wrote:I probably heading out to a remote grazing block shortly. The owner used to be quite serious about and excell in clay target shooting. He offered me to have a crack at it. I never done it before. I assume he has some sort of electric throwing machine .....I intended asking what likely shot size is most commonly used but then I thought I should just buy some bbs And I can always use them for foxes and cats as well. Is bb shot just one size too big ? Or is it way too big ?

7-1/2 to 9 is the usual, you need a very dense pattern.

Purely from my own research, BB's will work, at very close ranges, once you're out to 15m or so, and depending on how the specific load patterns in the gun, the pattern is likely to have gaps big enough for a clay to pass through. I load 50 BB's in a shell, which is close to a one-ounce payload I think. In the T1000 20" full-choke they pattern 100% around 14" at 20m from memory. That's a coverage of about one pellet in every three-square-inches. A clay is probably no bigger than that.

I've been using 7-1/2 one-ounce loads, but am trying to significantly reduce recoil. I have #9 shot to try with lighter payloads to see if they still carry enough energy to break Clay's.

EDIT: Checked my log, the 20" Dickinson T1000 full choke at 20m puts 100% into a 400mm circle at 20m, with one-ounce BB's and #7-1/2 shot. With BB's that's one pellet per two-square-inches, with 7-1/2 it's two pellets per square-inch. The clays I have are 110mm dia. and roughly 25mm high at the centre, I would guess about 3-4 square inches side on.
Last edited by bladeracer on 20 Aug 2020, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2020, 9:27 pm

I just Googled it and it looks like it's usually restricted to #7-1/2 to #9 shot, one-ounce max, at least for competition.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Aug 2020, 9:46 pm

yep #7-1/2 and an open choke :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2020, 10:40 pm

Blr243 wrote:I only have a short barrelled straight pull Adler with 3 different screw in chokes ......it’s got peep and post type sights on it. I’m assuming I’ll just ignore the sights and shoot instinctively over the barrel?

The 20" barrel on my T1000 has a very large front sight, but I just ignore it and use the base of it like a bead. I'm using Tru-Glo rifle sights on my Stoeger.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Aug 2020, 6:00 am

Good info. I’m glad I asked. I must give it a crack at the range one day too , obviously with the right size shot to comply with their rules
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Aug 2020, 9:54 am

Blr243 wrote:I only have a short barrelled straight pull Adler with 3 different screw in chokes ......it’s got peep and post type sights on it. I’m assuming I’ll just ignore the sights and shoot instinctively over the barrel?

it does take a bit of getting used to, pointing instead of aiming, but it will become instinct if you persevere with it
this vid explains it a hell of a lot better than l ever could
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuBslAuEMU

it usually takes me around 6-10 shots to stop aiming again duck season after leaving the shotgun in the safe for a while
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Aug 2020, 11:42 am

Thanks for the vid. My cheap feral short Adler Quickly comes to the shoulder and the sights automatically align with my vision,perfectly, better in fact than any firearm I have ever had .......I never planned this I just ordered it , waited and it turned up. I was expecting my new marlin lever gun in 4570 to be a pretty natural pointer too But it is not .......so I think I will just have to practice with it To make it happen.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Aug 2020, 4:58 pm

its a good thing when it just happens,
l like to try and get all my carry rifles to point so there is no delay when l pull it up like my shotguns, my eyes are straight on target, scopes as low as possible
l've always thought that shooting shotgun is great training for running shots with a rifle, you learn to lead as well as point
makes you think about how the diggers did it with the old smle rifle, often on the run themselves in all sorts of conditions
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 23 Aug 2020, 10:21 pm

12 gauge > 1 oz > #8 size shot > 1250 fps> modified choke = will break any target out there !!!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.