12ga. reloading

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: 12ga. reloading

Post by Gadge » 17 Sep 2020, 12:55 pm

Also, non-ferrous foundries Consolidated Alloys, and Amac Alloys in Kilsyth, can supply shot too.
Gadge
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Sep 2020, 4:34 pm

Having had very poor results with reduced velocities (failing to break clays), I'm now moving toward higher-velocity reduced payloads instead, that's why I want to try the tighter choke patterns. I've Googled Ron Forsyth articles and found a fair bit of stuff to read through on forums, thanks for that.

Do you know if there is a rule of thumb of how much pellet energy is required to break clays? That would nail down part of the equation for me :-)
I know the numbers are miniscule, that's why I didn't think shot size would be all that relevant.

At 900fps, #9 pellets carry 1.3ft-lb, #7-1/2 carry 2.14ft-lb, #6 carry 3.58ft-lb.

As the pellets-per-ounce are 608, 368, and 218 (average weights of my pellets) you would expect pattern coverage to give correspondingly more hits. If #6 shot patterns to put two pellets on the clay (7.16ft-lb), #7-1/2 should put 3.38 pellets on (7.2ft-lb), and #9 should put 5.58 pellets on (7.2ft-lb). So all three choices should hit the clay with similar total energy at similar velocities. Obviously, each of the individual pellets does significantly less damage as weight decreases, so I'm thinking heavier shot that patterns sufficiently to make just one hit should be perfect.

I'm really finding shotshell reloading to be very different to rifle and handgun ammo :-)

Gadge wrote:Not as such, but have done a bit of work on chronying light, fast loads.
AP powders are interchangeable, in practice, with their AS counterparts.

Manufactured to closely matched [by rigorous testing] burning rates with their AS counterparts.
Just smaller flake size, to ensure accurate metering through powder throwers, at the single digit charge sizes common in pistol target loads.

Ron Forsyth wrote a brilliant series on testing of shottie loads and patterning them, in the SSAA mag, back in the 90s.

When I can get time to scan and process these page images [and that won't be much before year's end - got a huge amount of workload ATM], I'll PDF them into e-format for distribution.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Sep 2020, 5:24 pm

I got the .685" choke installed in the top barrel yesterday but it was a hell of a job :-)
20200917_170748b.jpg
20200917_170748b.jpg (208.58 KiB) Viewed 6303 times

The last part of the thread was left "high" to allow for a tight hand fitment, but I think it was a bit over the top.

The seller in Sweden has been amazingly helpful though, even offering to send me another set for free if I can't get these installed. I don't want anything for free, but I have also ordered their turkey choke. Although it's the same .685" restriction as the full-choke, it is ported which may aid in reducing felt recoil.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-x-Billman-12-Ga-skeet-and-clay-sport-Extended-choke-tube-for-WIN-INVECTOR/124279592139
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124219184729

At 1302fps, a factory Bronzewing Terminator 28gm #7-1/2 patterned nicely through this choke, and finally broke the clay!
20200917_165103c.jpg
20200917_165103c.jpg (423.23 KiB) Viewed 6303 times

It didn't exactly destroy it, just broke it into a few pieces, although it did vapourise the edge of the skirt.
20200917_165418.jpg
20200917_165418.jpg (471.49 KiB) Viewed 6303 times

I think the pattern is dense enough that I can try reducing the payload and see how that patterns.

Even better, the doubled-up buttpads definitely made the gun much easier on my shoulder, so thanks for those tips. I didn't even find the extra length of pull to be a problem. I'll have to put a box of factory loads through it and see how I feel afterwards.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2020, 5:39 pm

That pattern doesn't look too bad.

Did u try adding some lead up the stock. Always helps
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gadge » 17 Sep 2020, 6:04 pm

For years I shot clays with a 1970s vintage Franchi U/O, fixed chokes of 3/4 and Full. Stock had been smith bent to fit me [and I'm a leftie], too.

These days, with a Miroku 4800 Gr IV trap gun, and choke tubes, I've settled on Improved Modified and Light Modified Carlson's choke tubes. Works great!

That one has a straight stock [no cast] and adjustable comb, so it was easy to set up to fit me well. It actually has a very soft, thick Pachmayr Decelerator pad, which works really well.

It's over with master smith Kevin Sharp in Bairnsdale ATM, getting a rejoint, while I'm not shooting comp due to some medical issues.

bladerunner, I too had a major bike crash, back when I was 24, so we have some common history there.
Locked in now for a double knee replacement in Q3 2021!
Last edited by Gadge on 18 Sep 2020, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gadge
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Sep 2020, 6:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:That pattern doesn't look too bad.

Did u try adding some lead up the stock. Always helps

Yes, but that is a full one-ounce load. My shoulder does feel it, a sort of gentle ache right now, down to my elbow, up into my neck and my chest in between, but tolerable. Last week I was getting very sore so I took a break from the 12ga. testing.

I did look at it as the buttstock does have a hole for the bolt to pass through. It's not very voluminous though so I didn't think it'd be significant without drilling at least two more large holes above and below it. I'm waiting on another soft buttpad still, one that encapsulates the buttstock. I'm thinking with that wrapped over the two very soft pads already on there it should make it even better. While I'm doing that I think I'll try some lead shot in the butt as well. With the three buttpads, and the extended chokes on the 30" barrels, a bit more weight at the blunt end might help with balance :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2020, 6:15 pm

Mmm, both my shotties gave about a 1" x4" hole behind the but plate. Maybe 6oz of lead.

There are also gadgets full of mercury that were available a few years ago to put in same hole. Maybe do a Google.

Near bottom of page.
https://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil.htm

IMHO 1300fps for shot is fast. 1150 will do the same by the time it travels 40 yards
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Sep 2020, 7:02 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Mmm, both my shotties gave about a 1" x4" hole behind the but plate. Maybe 6oz of lead.

There are also gadgets full of mercury that were available a few years ago to put in same hole. Maybe do a Google.

Near bottom of page.
https://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil.htm

IMHO 1300fps for shot is fast. 1150 will do the same by the time it travels 40 yards

Yes, my Condor's hole is deeper than that, maybe 150mm, but it's still only perhaps 200-250gm of shot. I've strapped a pocket on the side of the stock that should hold maybe 1kg of shot, I'll see how that feels.

Nice link, thanks for that.

I would also think 1300fps is on the quick side for shot. And my clays break very easily in my hands, much like biscuits (not Gingernuts!) and I find it astonishing that they can shrug off even #9 shot. Perhaps they're like combat aircraft, aircraft are not destroyed by bullets directly, they are destroyed because the bullets do small amounts of damage that make the airframe no longer able to handle aerodynamic loads. Perhaps a clay in flight is spinning and requires those gyroscopic forces to tear it apart when even slightly damaged?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gadge » 17 Sep 2020, 7:06 pm

bladerunner, for Lead inserts to fit in the stock bolt hole, there are a couple of easy options.
One is to fill a thin walled plastic tube with shot, and plug the ends. The other is to get your hands on some sheet 'plumbers' flashing' Lead, and roll it tightly into a cylinder.
Gadge
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2020, 7:15 pm

Gadge wrote:bladerunner, for Lead inserts to fit in the stock bolt hole, there are a couple of easy options.
One is to fill a thin walled plastic tube with shot, and plug the ends. The other is to get your hands on some sheet 'plumbers' flashing' Lead, and roll it tightly into a cylinder.

Years ago i just filled it up with loose shot. Then bit of rag to stop it rattling if required.
Smaller the shot = more weight
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gadge » 18 Sep 2020, 11:24 am

Here's a very useful comparison chart of international shot sizes and pellet counts, written as a research project by an AFP member some years back.
Attachments
IntlLeadShotSizeChart.pdf
(148.29 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Gadge
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2020, 2:57 pm

Gadge wrote:Here's a very useful comparison chart of international shot sizes and pellet counts, written as a research project by an AFP member some years back.

A handy reference to have, thanks Gadge :-)
I'm weighing and measuring samples of the specific shot I'm using, and averaging them.

My Bronzewing #7-1/2 hard shot is .092" and 1.19gn averaged. I haven't measured Ballantines Champion Magnum yet as I'm still using my supply of Bronzewing dumped from factory loads.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm

Received the ported "turkey" choke today (six days again from Sweden - OzPost could learn heaps!).

The Billman full-choke - .685".
20200923_161339b.jpg
20200923_161339b.jpg (541.8 KiB) Viewed 6264 times

The Billman Extended Ported Turkey choke - .685" also.
20200923_161630b.jpg
20200923_161630b.jpg (351.21 KiB) Viewed 6264 times

With the full-choke installed in the lower barrel for comparison with the ported choke (it's not fully seated yet).
20200923_161951b.jpg
20200923_161951b.jpg (458.86 KiB) Viewed 6264 times

The ported choke indexed just fine, although being symmetrical it has a decent chance of being pretty close to one of the six positions (to direct gases out to the sides rather than straight up or down into the side of the other choke tube).

Way too windy today for patterning, but I might have a few shots just to see if it makes any noticeable difference in felt recoil.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2020, 5:11 pm

I tried the new ported choke just now, no noticeable difference in felt recoil unfortunately.
I fired both barrels to compare the two chokes and can't identify any difference in feel.
It's possible that the porting helps keep it on target, but I wasn't looking at that, and I have the ported one in the top barrel anyway.
20200924_155934.jpg
20200924_155934.jpg (618.36 KiB) Viewed 6244 times

The pattern with the factory Bronzewing Terminator #7-1/2 28gm load looks very good - 1294fps.
20200924_155705b.jpg
20200924_155705b.jpg (344.42 KiB) Viewed 6244 times

The white "holes" are just light shining through bullet holes in the MDF.

And it even destroyed the clay :-)
20200924_155657b.jpg
20200924_155657b.jpg (650.21 KiB) Viewed 6244 times

20200924_155927.jpg
20200924_155927.jpg (321.98 KiB) Viewed 6244 times

I can certainly feel that I've just fired six shots, but it's fairly tolerable due to the doubled soft butt pads, as most people suggested, softening the butt pad is a great place to start in recoil mitigation. Current weight of the gun is 4.14kg (9.13lb) - 470gm heavier than OEM - and balance point is right at the hinge-pin. Length is 1265mm or 50" - 4" longer than OEM, and now the longest firearm I own (5mm longer than the M96 Swede). I'll try adding some weight with lead shot as well.

Now that I have chokes for the Condor I can re-test the reduced loads I was testing in the T1000 with full-choke. The Condor is certainly the more pleasant gun to shoot.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Sep 2020, 6:26 pm

So, Blade racer.
Your shooting a 28gm load at 1294fps with a gun weighing 9lb.
IMO apart from reducing by say 100fps and further increasing the weight of the gun. "It is what it is"

At 9lb, it's a heavy gun now. Additional weight will help but cost will be handling.

I don't think you will gain any real improvement mate.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2020, 7:19 pm

Oldbloke wrote:So, Blade racer.
Your shooting a 28gm load at 1294fps with a gun weighing 9lb.
IMO apart from reducing by say 100fps and further increasing the weight of the gun. "It is what it is"

At 9lb, it's a heavy gun now. Additional weight will help but cost will be handling.

I don't think you will gain any real improvement mate.

Yep, I know it's a tough ask :-)
I'm not sure I can reduce velocity without jeopardising reliable clay busting, but I think it's worth trying.
I want to try #6 shot as well, the larger pellet carries 70% more energy than the #7-1/2 shot so reducing the velocity may not reduce it's ability to bust clay.

The #7-1/2 at 1300fps are carrying 4.5ft-lb of energy per pellet, and definitely smashed the clay.
The clay was in this region of the pattern, so it probably took several hits.
20200924_155705c.jpg
20200924_155705c.jpg (219.5 KiB) Viewed 6238 times

I can carry that same amount of energy with #6 shot down to 1000fps, giving me a third less recoil despite a full 1oz payload. It also gives me a third less pellets though.

Dropping the velocity to around 900fps with a 7/8oz payload has already proved quite pleasant to shoot, adding more weight to the gun should allow me to the up the velocity and payload and still be as pleasant.

The original 8.1lb gun with 1300fps 1oz loads should produce around 19ft-lb of recoil energy, not a huge level, but I definitely find 12ga beats me up a _lot_ more than milsurp rifles making similar recoil levels with factory ammo - .303 is a kitten in comparison, despite the calculator saying they should feel identical to my shoulder. I can only put it down to the large payload of 12ga. combined with the specific damage to my shoulder structure, but it makes shotguns no fun at all :-)

So far my testing has shown me:
Reducing only the velocity down to 1000fps drops calculated recoil by a third, down to under 12ft-lb.
Further adding the extra pound drops it closer to 10ft-lb, very light recoiling.
Further dropping the payload back to 7/8oz drops it down to just 8ft-lb of energy, and it is certainly getting very pleasant to shoot, but it's not getting the job done at the target.

I want to try next adding 860g of shot (to make the gun 5kg or 11lb), and 438gn of #6 shot at 1000fps, which should be around the 8.5ft-lb level while still giving me the same pellet energy on target as the factory loads.

I don't generally hunt with guns, and when I do, I can handle the few full-power loads required. This is just for busting clays, so the weight isn't really relevant as long as it allows me to shoot 25-50 12ga. loads in a session, that's my goal.

If nothing else, it's certainly an interesting study and very different from rifle and pistol loading.

Do you know much about pattern analysis? From the research I've done so far it seem to be more a matter of "that looks right" than anything scientific or mathematical :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 24 Sep 2020, 7:42 pm

ports will not reduce the recoil Blade, l have them in my 375 H&H and its only stops muzzle jump

a few years ago l imported a couple of edwards the max recoil reducers for a friend from the US, he is an elderly gent who loves making wildcat cartridges and shooting but he cannot tolerate recoil, he put 2 of these into the stock of a wildcat WSM case he had made up and could watch the bullet hit the target, very little recoil
they are a bit exy but can keep you shooting, these are what he recommended as something that he knew works
https://www.edwardsrecoilreducer.com/
you can see a 375 ruger being shot with one installed in the vid from this link as well as some real reviews
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/e ... cer.21894/

another thing to remember is that as a primary producer you are entitled to use self loading shotguns that will reduce recoil
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Sep 2020, 8:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:

1. .303 is a kitten in comparison, despite the calculator saying they should feel identical to my shoulder. I can only put it down to the large payload of 12ga. combined with the specific damage to my shoulder structure, but it makes shotguns no fun at all :-)

2. So far my testing has shown me:
Reducing only the velocity down to 1000fps drops calculated recoil by a third, down to under 12ft-lb.

3. Further adding the extra pound drops it closer to 10ft-lb, very light recoiling.

4. Further dropping the payload back to 7/8oz drops it down to just 8ft-lb of energy, and it is certainly getting very pleasant to shoot, but it's not getting the job done at the target.

5. I want to try next adding 860g of shot (to make the gun 5kg or 11lb), and 438gn of #6 shot at 1000fps, which should be around the 8.5ft-lb level while still giving me the same pellet energy on target as the factory loads.

6. I don't generally hunt with guns, and when I do, I can handle the few full-power loads required. This is just for busting clays, so the weight isn't really relevant as long as it allows me to shoot 25-50 12ga. loads in a session, that's my goal.

7. If nothing else, it's certainly an interesting study and very different from rifle and pistol loading.

8. Do you know much about pattern analysis? From the research I've done so far it seem to be more a matter of "that looks right" than anything scientific or mathematical :-)

Let me try to help with my small amount of Shotty experience.

1. This I find very interesting. Personally I have experienced a lot more recoil from old 303s. I suspect you have a "FIT" problem with your shot gun. Perhaps have gun smith assess your fit. It can make a BIG difference

2. Yes, less speed always equals less recoil.

3. This is what I would expect.

4. Yes lighter pay load always results in less felt recoil. But there is a cost. As you have discovered.

5. It will no doubt help with felt recoil, but see 6 below.

6. IMO not true. a 10lb gun will not be as lively as it needs to be. It will be slow to swing. That can at times be advantageous but IMO better a light gun. It is a very personal thing though.

7. Yes, no doubt.

8. Not a lot. Mainly just did some testing yrs ago. Not unlike what you are doing. The most important is to get a nice even (few voids, nice and even) pattern in the right spot.

A. I think you already understand this, but here goes.
Less speed, less payload, heavier gun and softer pad all equal less recoil. But its a compromise and there is always a cost. The laws of physics will not allow to cheat the system. Also "lighter loads tend to shoot higher sometimes.

B. I think MM is correct. Porting will do SFA.

C. There is just a basic standard regarding patterning. See Good old Chuck here https://www.chuckhawks.com/pattern_shotgun.htm

D. Each shot gun is a law unto its self. Bit like 22lr.

E. Perhaps speak to someone at the local clay club

Hope this helps but I tend to think you know the answer.

1100 fps 28gr load. Shot size 6, 7 or 8
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2020, 7:16 pm

I suspect it has a lot to with the specifics of my injuries, most of the milsurps don't bother me, the M1891/30 does smack me hard, but I think a lot of people find that. The M39 with the same ammo doesn't hurt as much. I do want to try mounting the gun much more toward the centre of my chest but I keep forgetting in the moment. Try to take the recoil in the pectoral muscle rather than the shoulder joint.

I certainly prefer lighter firearms, but if increasing the weight of this one allows me to shoot it more then it's a small price to pay. Adding the extra mass right at the rear of the gun should have very little effect on how well it swings. I'm 6'1" and 100kg so the overall weight of the gun isn't a problem.

That's pretty much what I've found searching for pattern analysis - shoot it and see is about it :-)

Turns out that Gadge is five-minutes from me and has offered to help me out :-)

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

1. .303 is a kitten in comparison, despite the calculator saying they should feel identical to my shoulder. I can only put it down to the large payload of 12ga. combined with the specific damage to my shoulder structure, but it makes shotguns no fun at all :-)

2. So far my testing has shown me:

3. Further adding the extra pound drops it closer to 10ft-lb, very light recoiling.

4. Further dropping the payload back to 7/8oz drops it down to just 8ft-lb of energy, and it is certainly getting very pleasant to shoot, but it's not getting the job done at the target.

5. I want to try next adding 860g of shot (to make the gun 5kg or 11lb), and 438gn of #6 shot at 1000fps, which should be around the 8.5ft-lb level while still giving me the same pellet energy on target as the factory loads.

6. I don't generally hunt with guns, and when I do, I can handle the few full-power loads required. This is just for busting clays, so the weight isn't really relevant as long as it allows me to shoot 25-50 12ga. loads in a session, that's my goal.

7. If nothing else, it's certainly an interesting study and very different from rifle and pistol loading.

8. Do you know much about pattern analysis? From the research I've done so far it seem to be more a matter of "that looks right" than anything scientific or mathematical :-)

Let me try to help with my small amount of Shotty experience.

1. This I find very interesting. Personally I have experienced a lot more recoil from old 303s. I suspect you have a "FIT" problem with your shot gun. Perhaps have gun smith assess your fit. It can make a BIG difference

2. Yes, less speed always equals less recoil.

3. This is what I would expect.

4. Yes lighter pay load always results in less felt recoil. But there is a cost. As you have discovered.

5. It will no doubt help with felt recoil, but see 6 below.

6. IMO not true. a 10lb gun will not be as lively as it needs to be. It will be slow to swing. That can at times be advantageous but IMO better a light gun. It is a very personal thing though.

7. Yes, no doubt.

8. Not a lot. Mainly just did some testing yrs ago. Not unlike what you are doing. The most important is to get a nice even (few voids, nice and even) pattern in the right spot.

A. I think you already understand this, but here goes.
Less speed, less payload, heavier gun and softer pad all equal less recoil. But its a compromise and there is always a cost. The laws of physics will not allow to cheat the system. Also "lighter loads tend to shoot higher sometimes.

B. I think MM is correct. Porting will do SFA.

C. There is just a basic standard regarding patterning. See Good old Chuck here https://www.chuckhawks.com/pattern_shotgun.htm

D. Each shot gun is a law unto its self. Bit like 22lr.

E. Perhaps speak to someone at the local clay club

Hope this helps but I tend to think you know the answer.

1100 fps 28gr load. Shot size 6, 7 or 8
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2020, 7:20 pm

I thought that would be the case but figured the ports must change the direction of at least part of the gas so there might be some benefit.
Those recoil reducers look good, that video is incredible.
I have emailed the company for their advice regarding fitting a pair of their units - thanks for that.

marksman wrote:ports will not reduce the recoil Blade, l have them in my 375 H&H and its only stops muzzle jump

a few years ago l imported a couple of edwards the max recoil reducers for a friend from the US, he is an elderly gent who loves making wildcat cartridges and shooting but he cannot tolerate recoil, he put 2 of these into the stock of a wildcat WSM case he had made up and could watch the bullet hit the target, very little recoil
they are a bit exy but can keep you shooting, these are what he recommended as something that he knew works
https://www.edwardsrecoilreducer.com/
you can see a 375 ruger being shot with one installed in the vid from this link as well as some real reviews
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/e ... cer.21894/

another thing to remember is that as a primary producer you are entitled to use self loading shotguns that will reduce recoil
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2020, 6:22 pm

Haven't heard back from Edward's and Brownells list their Recoil Reducers as Discontinued.
Anybody want to recommend a different manufacturer :-)

I strapped 3.4kg of bullets onto the buttstock and fired six quick rounds of factory ammo.
Very nice, but not very practical I'm afraid at 16.5lbs :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Sep 2020, 4:22 pm

Getting nowhere looking for recoil reducers, most manufacturers prefer to use mercury which makes them very difficult to import.

But I found this on Usedguns yesterday.
Used Guns Less Kick Recoil Reducer.JPG
Used Guns Less Kick Recoil Reducer.JPG (96.65 KiB) Viewed 6194 times

https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=175487

So I messaged Ian, who responded right away asking me to call today, which I've just done.

He's given me a few things to ponder :-)

The first is that he thinks the forcing cones need to be lengthened to reduce the speed at which the shot load smacks into it and starts swaging down the bore. In his experience this is a major factor in harsh felt recoil. It may explain why I'm finding the gun beats me up so bad despite recoil calculations saying otherwise :-)

So that's a great option to start with - $160 per barrel plus about $40 for two-way shipping on the barrels - have them back in a week. Sounds like it's well worth doing.

A sorbothane recoil pad is another good option.

And the recoil reducer in the butt stock.

Then the ammo. He's suggesting #7 shot at around 1200fps.
But he also suggested I order a slab of Winchester Low-Recoil 980fps 26gm loads of #8, he finds them excellent for introducing shooters to shotgunning, though he does start newbies at very close ranges - 11m. Not sure if they'll carry to the 30m I'm testing at but I'll find out.
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collections/shotshell/products/winchester-aa-featherlite-12-gauge-2-3-4-26g-8-shot
If they work I might be able to build something similar.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2020, 6:13 pm

Has anyone else tried shooting the gun? How did it feel to them?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2020, 12:06 am

Oldbloke wrote:Has anyone else tried shooting the gun? How did it feel to them?

Nobody with any more shotgun experience than I have, but it's a good idea.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Sep 2020, 6:38 am

bladeracer wrote:

Just thinking, might be fit. Or stock design not great.

TBO though I think your pissing into the wind if your in trouble with 28gm loads doing 1000 to 1200fps.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2020, 9:28 am

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Just thinking, might be fit. Or stock design not great.

TBO though I think your pissing into the wind if your in trouble with 28gm loads doing 1000 to 1200fps.

Yes, I am pushing it :-)
But I'll persist a little longer with experimenting in hopes of finding an answer.
Lengthening the forcing cones seems to be a bit hit and miss from what I'm reading, some love it, some get no noticable difference in felt recoil, but do get improved patterning - which might allow a reduced payload. I think my situation is going to require stacking a few 5% solutions together :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 29 Sep 2020, 1:26 pm

l think you are on to it Blade and really the money spent won't be wasted
your not spending to sell for a better price, your spending to keep and use

some really good information coming out :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2020, 1:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:I strapped 3.4kg of bullets onto the buttstock and fired six quick rounds of factory ammo.
Very nice, but not very practical I'm afraid at 16.5lbs :-)

I forgot to mention, the gun with all that mass at the back of it swings significantly faster and easier. Bringing it up to the shoulder is more effort, but once it's seated there the weight acts like an anchor and the gun simply pivots around it, very surprising. But the ballast is as heavy as the entire OEM gun was so it doubles the weight overall. It is certainly effective at reducing the recoil though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2020, 1:57 pm

marksman wrote:l think you are on to it Blade and really the money spent won't be wasted
your not spending to sell for a better price, your spending to keep and use

some really good information coming out :drinks:

Ian did suggest I'd be better starting with a "better" gun, like a Beretta or a Miroku, but without actually trying one I have no idea if they'd offer any improvement, and I'd rather just make my own guns fit my purpose :-)
I have zero interest in shooting competition, this is just about having some paddock fun aimed at improving my rifle skills.
And I have grown to love the Condor, it feels very nice in the hand, cheek and shoulder, it just beats me up :-)

I have ordered a long forcing cone reamer, which will allow me to do all four of my barrels, and I can start with the 20" T1000 barrel to practice, it serves no long-range purpose so any mistakes should be of little relevance (and it only cost $120 if I need to replace it), and I can still send the Stoeger barrels to Ian if I screw up the T1000 (he suggested I use a closer smith but I don't like the shop). And it'll let me do it a little at a time, test pattern it, do a bit more, and so on. Then I can discover if there is a difference, and where the optimal length is. I'm going to measure the forcing cones on all four barrels to see if there are any manufacturing differences as well.

So now I'm loading test loads again that I tested in the T1000 before I got the chokes for the Condor.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2020, 8:32 pm

I patterned a reduced load this arvo through the .685" extended ported turkey choke.
21gn of AP70N under 330gn of #9 shot - 920fps and very comfortable indeed, I felt nothing at all, partly due to the three butt pads stacked up :-)
Tomorrow will tell me how I went if I'm aching or not.
20200929_154434b.jpg
20200929_154434b.jpg (428.05 KiB) Viewed 6149 times

Pretty happy with the pattern.
20201001_181753b.jpg
20201001_181753b.jpg (160.5 KiB) Viewed 6149 times

I weighed ten pellets at 7.48gn and twenty pellets at 15.06gn, giving me about 440 in the 330gn (3/4oz) payload.
379 or 86% of those hit within a 750mm circle at 30m, 249 or 57% within a 375mm circle. I have no way of measuring the length of the shot column at 30m, but if I can put the centre of it over the clay I should have plenty of hits, especially if it's going straight away from me. Only about 60 pellets either went through other holes (and there are a number of tight clusters that do indicate that likelihood) or were well outside the 750mm circle (52 of them so far out as to miss the entire 800mm-wide sheet).

I split it into segments to make counting easier. The pattern tends to be heavier in the upper right quadrant, I'll have to pattern some more and see if that's a constant. Half of the outer pattern is weak, with between four and twelve strikes, but the centre is dense.

I've ordered two slabs of some factory 24gn loads to test also, I think they'll be too hot for sustained shooting but are always handy for friends to enjoy.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.