akkar churchhill XM12 o/u 20'' shotgun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

akkar churchhill XM12 o/u 20'' shotgun

Post by Big Oz » 17 Sep 2020, 5:56 pm

anyone own one im torn between a cheap adler straight pull or spending a bit more for a reliable under over i like the akkar churchill 20inch tac but is it worth the extra cost compared to the adler pull action will the adler last as long thoughts please... also using it for pig hunting and as my primary scrub gun
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind..
Big Oz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: akkar churchhill XM12 o/u 20'' shotgun

Post by boingk » 17 Sep 2020, 10:55 pm

Hi mate if it's for pig hunting go the straight-pull.

I've got a Frankolin BT3000 - basically a drab green cerakoted Adler. It's a great thing, I really like it. Yet to use it for hunting but am planning a trip with a mate and really like the feel of it. Over a hundred rounds without any issues whatsoever.

I've use many double-barrel shotguns and they have their place but for hunting I'd definitely go the straight-pull. For magazine capacity alone they're a good thing. Most on the market are a 5-round tube so six shots if you chamber a round on top, but you can get higher capacities if you desire.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Diamond Jim » 18 Sep 2020, 2:54 am

100 rounds without issue is a good start but a quality under and over will run tens of thousands of rounds before you start seeing issues. I (and others) sometimes use my/our O/U (because that's what we own) in practical competition against auto, pump and lever action shotguns and am competitive. I've yet to come up against a straight pull. With practice, the time to reload two rounds in an ejector can be very quick while the tube magazine owners waste many seconds reloading after their five rounds. If I was buying a shotgun before 1996 I'd buy a pump or a semi-auto. Today I'd go sxs or o/u. That's just my preference. YMMV.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Big Oz » 18 Sep 2020, 12:10 pm

ok thx guys for the input think i might go adler b220 was thinkning of the b230 witht the magazine but i ithink thats just more parts too wear out. thanks for the reply =]
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind..
Big Oz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by boingk » 19 Sep 2020, 12:44 pm

Big Oz wrote:ok thx guys for the input think i might go adler b220 was thinkning of the b230 witht the magazine but i ithink thats just more parts too wear out. thanks for the reply =]

The magazine look great and tacticool but you still have the tube under the gun... why not use it?

Diamond Jim wrote:100 rounds without issue is a good start but a quality under and over will run tens of thousands of rounds before you start seeing issues. <snip> If I was buying a shotgun before 1996 I'd buy a pump or a semi-auto. Today I'd go sxs or o/u. That's just my preference. YMMV.

Yeah its hardly thousands of rounds in my straight pull, but it sure beats the reliability of some of the early Adler levers. Those things jam like no tomorrow. Doesn't appear to be an issue at all with the straight pull.

The main advantage of a straight pull is the quicker followup shots for hunting. Yes, doubles can be quick to reload but in the time its taken you to get off two shots and load another two, the other gun is capable of four or more shots - valuable if you come across a herd of wild pigs or other ferals. Especially valuable if one of them decides they want a piece of you.

Full disclosure, I love my little Boito coachgun just as much as my Frankolin BT3000.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2020, 2:25 pm

boingk wrote:The magazine look great and tacticool but you still have the tube under the gun... why not use it.

The magazine tube is also the bolt spring guide, so you're stuck with it even with a box mag.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 19 Sep 2020, 3:34 pm

Big Oz wrote:ok thx guys for the input think i might go adler b220 was thinkning of the b230 witht the magazine but i ithink thats just more parts too wear out. thanks for the reply =]

If your going for straight pull you can’t do past the TAC-12 in my opinion.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Sep 2020, 7:10 pm

boingk wrote:
Big Oz wrote:, but it sure beats the reliability of some of the early Adler levers. Those things jam like no tomorrow. Doesn't appear to be an issue at all with the straight pull..

Was there a known issue with the levers ? I’ve cycled maybe 1000 rounds via my Adler lever and it has been pretty decent.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.