Did this fall out of my Adler?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Did this fall out of my Adler?

Post by HankScorpio » 25 Sep 2020, 10:37 pm

Hi all, firstly I want to apologize for my ignorance (and slightly click-baity title). I've only ever used break-action shotguns before.
I've just purchased an Adler B220PG and was practicing loading and cycling the action at home with snap caps.

All was well until I had a jam (snap cap ejected ok but the next snap cap failed to load from the tube into the chamber). The bolt was stuck, not locked, open and I had to reach inside the chamber and prise up the snap cap with my fingers. The bolt closed and I pulled the trigger then tried to cycle again. The snap cap inside the chamber ejected OK but the next snap cap also ejected from the loading port. Subsequent cycling caused the snap caps inside the mag tube to be ejected out the loading port at pretty high speeds.
I noticed this piece of metal on my bed where the snap caps where being ejected. I'm 99% sure that it wasn't there before I was practicing loading and cycling.

I had a look at the Adler instruction manual exploded parts diagram but can't seem to identify it. Since then it seems to alternate between cycling OK, jamming, or simply ejecting the snap caps from the tube.

I'm not sure if it's user error as the manual doesn't explain how to load the shotgun.
I'm using this process:
1. Bolt locked open, insert 1 snap cap in the chamber
2. Press bolt release button
3. Load snap caps into mag tube
4. Pull trigger, cycle bolt

I've attached a picture of the piece of metal with a toothpick for scale:

IMG1.jpg
IMG1.jpg (286.63 KiB) Viewed 3065 times

Edit to add: I'm hoping this is me just being a noob. I did press the bolt release button with an empty chamber when the bolt was locked back (to see what would happen basically) and it wouldn't lock back again until I pulled the trigger/dry fired it. I realise the shells ejecting out of the tube would be a feature, not a bug - otherwise to unload the gun you would have to cycle each shell into the chamber before ejecting, which is a potential safety issue. I'm just not sure how to do it on purpose, and why the gun seems to fail to load the next shell into the chamber sometimes.

Does anyone who has disassembled their Adler recognise the part in the picture?
HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Did this fall out of my Adler?

Post by Farmerpete » 26 Sep 2020, 6:24 am

This is just a guess based on whats happening.
On my shotgun (its not an Adler) th cartridges can be removed from the tube mag by holding the loading gate release button and depressing a piece of spring steel, this looks like it may have done the same job as my peice of spring steel MAYBE
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2020, 10:49 am

Can you post the exploded parts picture, or a link to the manual?
I had a look at the lever-action manual but didn't see anything resembling it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Sep 2020, 11:38 am

Snap caps are known to cause their own issues - they don’t really resemble actual cartridges. Try cycling a few live rounds safely - if you can.
They being said - my Adler had the exact issues you describe and despite my best efforts - had to be returned to NIOA under warranty. A painless experience and it was 2 x better and has not missed in many 1000’s of shots since.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by HankScorpio » 26 Sep 2020, 3:18 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I did a search and read a few posts about snap caps causing issues and I think that's a big part of it. I tried cycling more today and was mostly successful apart from a couple of jams, where the bolt would lock open after firing and ejecting the one in the chamber but not recognise there were more in the tube to be loaded. The snap caps are those plastic ones with the spring and are pretty crappy with the base starting to separate from the shell already.

Holding down the bolt release button while cycling did work to eject shells from the loading port, too, apart from when it jammed. Thanks for the tip FarmerPete. I think the crappy plastic snap caps were also the cause of strange things like 2 shells being ejected at once.
I feel a bit more reassured.

I wish Adler had included some more instructions on the operation of their gun, in the Safety First section they do advise to "Learn gun functions and handles. If you do not thoroughly understand the proper use and care of your gun, seek the advice of someone who is knowledgeable." Other than that they just talk about how to operate the safety mechanism which being a crossbolt type is already pretty straightforward.

The little piece of metal still has me puzzled though. It doesn't really make sense for a part to fall out but still have the gun function correctly, apart from the jams which are probably due to the snap caps. On the other I have no idea where that bit of metal could have appeared from.

Here's the exploded view from the manual:

IMG20200926144752.jpg
IMG20200926144752.jpg (612.01 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

IMG20200926144801.jpg
IMG20200926144801.jpg (521.92 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

I'll probably take it to my LGS before trying to live fire it and see what they think.
Also not sure if it's relevant but it's had a Lucky 13 magazine tube extension added to increase capacity to 7+1.
Last edited by HankScorpio on 26 Sep 2020, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2020, 6:29 pm

Nothing jump out at me I'm afraid.
Can you video what the gun is doing, maybe somebody can spot the problem?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 26 Sep 2020, 7:22 pm

That’s not a common looking item. I think if u had that thing in your possession prior you would have noticed it , and perhaps know what it was for ....bit of a mystery
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by HankScorpio » 26 Sep 2020, 9:05 pm

Blr243 wrote:That’s not a common looking item. I think if u had that thing in your possession prior you would have noticed it , and perhaps know what it was for ....bit of a mystery

Yeah. And weird for it to be on my bed when the only mechanical thing I've had nearby was the gun. I thought it could be part of the loading flap mechanism, maybe a latch that locks the flap to direct the shells either into the chamber or out the loading port.
Just speculation though, and not backed up by the diagram.
I'll see what the fella at the shop says and report back.
HankScorpio
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.