Cat C, how many?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Cat C, how many?

Post by Shootermick » 15 Jan 2021, 6:15 am

I’m pretty sure with Cat C in Victoria that if you have a semi auto shotgun, you can’t also have a pump action shotgun, does anyone know if this is correct?
I got my Cat C last year and bought a Franchi Affinity semi auto, now I’m eyeing off a 12 gauge pump, so I might have to sell the Franchi before I get a pump if I can only have one or the other.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Cat C, how many?

Post by Ziege » 15 Jan 2021, 8:30 am

screw having a pump if I could have a semi, but then screw having either if I cant have a 10 shot mag or bigger, our laws suck giant schlong. I could probably get a semi 22lr and semi 12 gauge here easy enough on the farm but the market has s**t unless you wanna wait around forever and mag sizes are just pathetic.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 15 Jan 2021, 10:18 am

I know in qld im allowed 1 rimfire and 1 shotgun not sure about other states
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Jan 2021, 3:37 pm

In west Australia you get mandatory five years jail if you dreamt about owning a pump action shotgun
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 16 Jan 2021, 9:04 pm

Farmerpete wrote:I know in qld im allowed 1 rimfire and 1 shotgun not sure about other states

Pretty sure it’s the same here in Vic. Either way, today I managed to sell my semi auto shotgun and bought a 5 shot pump shotty as it’s replacement.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Ozzymozzy » 05 Feb 2021, 7:00 pm

Do you prefer the pump over the semi auto? And why?..im thinking about a semi auto but im leaning towards the pump due to its reliability.
Ozzymozzy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2021, 7:16 pm

Ozzymozzy wrote:Do you prefer the pump over the semi auto? And why?..im thinking about a semi auto but im leaning towards the pump due to its reliability.

Pump, semi-auto requires a narrow window of ammo to cycle reliably, pump will cycle anything, and damned near as fast as a semi-auto.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Feb 2021, 7:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Ozzymozzy wrote:Do you prefer the pump over the semi auto? And why?..im thinking about a semi auto but im leaning towards the pump due to its reliability.

Pump, semi-auto requires a narrow window of ammo to cycle reliably, pump will cycle anything, and damned near as fast as a semi-auto.

SPAS12, have both!! :lol:
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 05 Feb 2021, 9:18 pm

My understanding was in Vic you could only have one cat C Firearm.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Shootermick » 05 Feb 2021, 9:29 pm

I liked my semi auto, but went to a pump partly because there isn’t always a round chambered, particularly when walking around. And, as Blade said, you can get a pump action cycling pretty fast if you have to. I bought a Winchester SXP camp field combo from that big shop in QLD.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Ozzymozzy » 05 Feb 2021, 11:47 pm

All good points, cheers!
Ozzymozzy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cracker » 06 Feb 2021, 8:28 am

bladeracer wrote:

100% agree, used a few semiautos and they are okay, but a pump shotgun just works, really well
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 06 Feb 2021, 4:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I have a skb model 1300, it is an outstanding shotgun, I have honestly never found ammo that it doesn't load reliably. I always just bought the cheapest 12ga rounds I can for it (usually the cheap winchester stuff)
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Feb 2021, 5:03 pm

Larry wrote:My understanding was in Vic you could only have one cat C Firearm.

G'day Larry,
You can have 2, but only 1 R/F rifle and 1 shotgun. The SPAS 12 on the other hand is both semi-auto & pump in 1 gun, I still miss mine, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by DecaHex » 12 Apr 2021, 4:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:In west Australia you get mandatory five years jail if you dreamt about owning a pump action shotgun

Actually, you can get yourself a Cat C shotgun in WA for IPSC shotgun, yeeew
Enthusiast of meme guns
DecaHex
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by 1886 » 15 Apr 2021, 9:16 pm

DecaHex wrote:
Blr243 wrote:In west Australia you get mandatory five years jail if you dreamt about owning a pump action shotgun

Actually, you can get yourself a Cat C shotgun in WA for IPSC shotgun, yeeew

Yep. Bir243, you have no idea. You can also have pumps for single action and also pumps and semi's for other matches.

Farmers etc can get either.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.