First Shotty

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: First Shotty

Post by Clarky75 » 30 Aug 2014, 8:25 pm

Might have to look at a webley scott.
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by south » 03 Sep 2014, 3:26 pm

No one pitching the Akkar 3?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by petemacsydney » 03 Sep 2014, 3:49 pm

I've had a few peeps at the range tell me the churchill is quite good. i just preferred the lighter Webley & Scott... after a couple of hundred rounds at the clays, the weight difference really comes in handy!

and don't let anyone tell you the recoil will be heavier on the lighter webley, cause there isn't any difference ;-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by grainweight » 04 Sep 2014, 12:02 pm

You can always stick on a wussy pad anyway.
grainweight
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 04 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm

petemacsydney wrote:I've had a few peeps at the range tell me the churchill is quite good. i just preferred the lighter Webley & Scott... after a couple of hundred rounds at the clays, the weight difference really comes in handy!

and don't let anyone tell you the recoil will be heavier on the lighter webley, cause there isn't any difference ;-)

Trust me if you are going to put a few hundred down range regularly a well fitted(fitting being as important as weight when it comes to felt recoil) heavier gun will be appreciated in the long run.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gregg » 04 Sep 2014, 3:38 pm

+1 for the above.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Sep 2014, 7:12 pm

i'm new to clays, so i don't know what i don't know... but.... i do know what feels good so far and that involves spending a fair few Sundays putting 150-200 through her each session.

this is my first 12g. my plan was always to get a budget/entry level, make sure i like it, then pass it on to the wifey and get a fully fitted silver pigeon (or something of a similar ilk).. eventually..
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Sep 2014, 7:13 pm

besides, you can never compare a Hyundai to an astin martin db9... or even a commodore for that fact ;-) lol
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ployer » 05 Sep 2014, 11:16 am

Exactly.

An Excel is waaaay better.
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 05 Sep 2014, 2:48 pm

lol
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 07 Sep 2014, 7:52 am

Gotta say I've never got the whole thing of people always comparing Mercedes to Holden and saying how much better they are than everything else.

They're 3 times the price of a Commodore, they'd damn well wanna be better so I don't know what people are bragging about.

Lets see 'em compare one to a Porsche :D
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by 12gatrap » 07 Sep 2014, 1:45 pm

Funny, I shot trap on the weekend for the first time at the local club. I shot 22/25 with my $125 wobbly Boito sxs with bolts holding the stock together and then shot a 20/25 then 22/25 with a chaps $4k Beretta. The Beretta did feel nicer though. Must be the extra $3875's worth.lol
12gatrap
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by feedr » 08 Sep 2014, 8:42 am

I'd take your $125 Boito and $3,875 worth of ammunition if you're getting the same scores ;)
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by 12gatrap » 10 Sep 2014, 12:19 am

Shot a 10K Beretta in practice, still only scored the same as the crappy Boito! lol.
12gatrap
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 10 Sep 2014, 9:57 am

12gatrap wrote:Shot a 10K Beretta in practice, still only scored the same as the crappy Boito! lol.

That is more an indication of skill than firearm ability.

With any of the shooting sports I believe it is better to hang off buying anything for a while, if the resources are there to allow it. I often lend gear but usually let others do the coaching.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 11 Sep 2014, 4:34 pm

I've shot a 15k shotty and missed a huge target stuck to a tree.

I totally blame the shotty and not my mad skills :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bennybigbores » 12 Sep 2014, 9:23 pm

Go Boito. 20" barrels with rifle sights and 30" barrels under over. Or same in side by side only longer barrels 28". Under a grand and good enough quality for first shotty with versatility or two barrels, but if I had my time again knowing now what I know I'd have saved and bought what I consider to be an absolute awesome shot gun.. Chiappa 28" 7 shot lever action best hunting shotgun you'll get on an A class license
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Sep 2014, 2:14 pm

12gatrap wrote:Funny, I shot trap on the weekend for the first time at the local club. I shot 22/25 with my $125 wobbly Boito sxs with bolts holding the stock together and then shot a 20/25 then 22/25 with a chaps $4k Beretta. The Beretta did feel nicer though. Must be the extra $3875's worth.lol

Yep I shoot my Boito SB just as good as I do my Beretta SP1 possibly even better :lol: Either way the clays get smashed with good regularity. My first comp I went in with the Beretta I got 3rd place, 2nd comp I got 2nd (beaten by 1 clay for 1st place) and that was the last time I went in any comps as I just couldn't afford it anymore. :| I beat quite a few A Grade and AA Grade too in some of those comps. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Deco » 14 Sep 2014, 5:10 pm

bigfellascott wrote:My first comp I went in with the Beretta I got 3rd place, 2nd comp I got 2nd (beaten by 1 clay for 1st place) and that was the last time I went in any comps as I just couldn't afford it anymore. :| I beat quite a few A Grade and AA Grade too in some of those comps. :D

Sucks when price is the reason you have to quit something you love doing :(

Nothing worse than that.
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Sep 2014, 6:45 pm

Deco wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:My first comp I went in with the Beretta I got 3rd place, 2nd comp I got 2nd (beaten by 1 clay for 1st place) and that was the last time I went in any comps as I just couldn't afford it anymore. :| I beat quite a few A Grade and AA Grade too in some of those comps. :D

Sucks when price is the reason you have to quit something you love doing :(

Nothing worse than that.

Yeah sure does, it's ok though as one day I will get back into it - good fun I must admit.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 14 Sep 2014, 7:58 pm

:lol: :D :lol: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Come spotlighting with me Scott we smashed them there rabbits this weekend with a ATA
Westy 30
Rabbits(0)

Nothing like them free clays :lol: :P :o
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Sep 2014, 9:12 pm

that does sound like fun! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 12gatrap » 07 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm

Well got my Fabarm Elos Trap today and shot it for the first time. Very happy with a 24/25 and a 25/25 in DTL :)
12gatrap
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Deco » 08 Oct 2014, 8:54 am

Nice one :)
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.