dry fire

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

dry fire

Post by Johnny Jigsaw » 02 Mar 2021, 10:01 pm

Hi friends

Just curious, Is it really bad to dry fire an Adler or is it not such a big deal ?
Johnny Jigsaw
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: dry fire

Post by boingk » 02 Mar 2021, 10:23 pm

It's not good to dry fire any weapon regularly.

Thats why snap-caps are a thing.

The firing pin fatigues and can break.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Johnny Jigsaw » 02 Mar 2021, 10:32 pm

Thanks mate. I seen some people doing it on you tube and thought it wasn't a good idea
Johnny Jigsaw
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 02 Mar 2021, 11:56 pm

Never had an issue dry firing centre fire, but rimfire is another thing all together
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 03 Mar 2021, 1:43 am

Faedy wrote:Never had an issue dry firing centre fire, but rimfire is another thing all together

Nope you are wrong
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 03 Mar 2021, 5:48 am

boingk wrote:It's not good to dry fire any weapon regularly.

Thats why snap-caps are a thing.

The firing pin fatigues and can break.

- boingk

I woukdnt be concerned on most center fires, ive seen allot of dry fire sometimes more than live rounds through certain rifles and im yet to see a snapped pin. Could happen yes, but i put this in tje same place as a turbo timer on new vehicles. Technology doesnt need it any more.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 03 Mar 2021, 8:21 am

Perhaps not but proper gun etiquette demands it.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 03 Mar 2021, 11:13 am

deye243 wrote:
Faedy wrote:Never had an issue dry firing centre fire, but rimfire is another thing all together

Nope you are wrong

What a fantastic answer :thumbsdown:
Would you care to enlighten us all by explaining why the statement is wrong?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Mar 2021, 12:26 pm

Personally, The only firearm I don't deliberately dry fire is my .22lr, however occasionally it happens. There's a witness mark where the pin has smacked the back of the chamber but there's no evidence of damage to the pin.
20210303_130640.jpg
20210303_130640.jpg (139.3 KiB) Viewed 4649 times

I've deliberately dry fired my Rem 700's countless times for trigger training, I dry fire my Adler every time it goes back into the safe, the Stoger gets the same treatment.. ill report back to you all when something gets damaged. :thumbsup:

Sue me :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 03 Mar 2021, 1:12 pm

No1_49er wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Nope you are wrong

What a fantastic answer :thumbsdown:
Would you care to enlighten us all by explaining why the statement is wrong?

Yes no problem my anschutz 1517 dhb and my Lithgow la101 in both these rifles the firing pin does not protrude so far as to contact the rear of the barrel face therefore it is no problem dry-firing the firearm if you wish I still don't recommend it the only true trigger training you will ever get is out firing live ammunition then you will see your mistakes on paper
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Mar 2021, 2:46 pm

Most rimfire firearms will allow the pin to contact the breech face, some won't. For this reason it is unwise to dry fire rimfires, especially those that aren't yours! As for centrefire, if the firing pin hole in the bolt face is worn, the pin can whip and possibly break (I have had this happen on an old Winchester 94) but on the majority it is not an issue. In some target disciplines it is recommended that the novice spend evenings on the lounge room floor dry firing his target rifle to practice breathing and trigger control, I have done this for decades with Omarks, Parker Hale TX, Swedish Mausers, K98k, etc as well as Enfields whose bolts I have inspected prior to dry firing. Having said that, I do personally prefer to use snap caps where possible, Just as an aside, the Swedish Army once issued a home use target practice kit that allowed the firing pin to hit a steel pin that pushed another sharp steel pin out the barrel and contact a paper target scaled to 200m, Incorrect aim caused the pin to hit off centre, Firing pins were never damaged from these kits, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Mar 2021, 5:26 pm

Johnny Jigsaw wrote:Hi friends

Just curious, Is it really bad to dry fire an Adler or is it not such a big deal ?

I can't comment on the Adler but the owner's manual should say if you shouldn't.

As a general rule, anything designed for military or government contracts should be fine as their manuals of arms require dry-firing regularly.

Most centrefire firearms should also be fine.
Most modern rimfires are also fine, if they're not too worn.

But, regardless of whether the striker or firing pin (strikers are released, firing pins are struck) hits anything in the chamber that it shouldn't, if it has a "hard" stop it will still be shocked by that stop and will eventually fail.

Ruger rimfires are fine to dry-fire for example, in that the firing pin or striker is stopped before it can hit the chamber face. But my 10-22 broke a firing pin from fatigue due to the hard stop in the bolt.

If you intend to dry-fire regularly it's sensible to keep replacement parts on hand.
Last edited by bladeracer on 04 Mar 2021, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Mar 2021, 7:57 pm

Standard procedure in the IPSC style competition "show clear, slide forward, hammer down, reholster" - the handgun is dry fired after every stage. (Revolvers simply "show clear, close cylinder, reholster"). Same for shotguns that are not break action - SA, pump, lever etc.
That said, I was taught never to dry-fire a shotgun.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Mar 2021, 8:48 pm

Short and to the point. Correct.

On the rare occasion i dry fire my brno 22 I just slip a fired case in the chamber.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Mar 2021, 9:41 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Short and to the point. Correct.

On the rare occasion i dry fire my brno 22 I just slip a fired case in the chamber.

I very often dry-fire my rimfires at the end of every mag, unless I've been able to count my shots. Most modern rimfires do not allow the striker to reach the chamber face, Ruger sorted this decades ago for example.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 05 Mar 2021, 9:06 pm

Glad to see majority of us are in agreeance
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 07 Mar 2021, 12:40 pm

I don't dry fire . Only occasionally when adjusting a trigger .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Strangedog » 10 Mar 2021, 6:59 pm

I think the consensus is that you can, but most don't like to do it too much.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Mar 2021, 8:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:I very often dry-fire my rimfires at the end of every mag, unless I've been able to count my shots. Most modern rimfires do not allow the striker to reach the chamber face, Ruger sorted this decades ago for example.

When in doubt, I've managed to get into the habit of using my trigger finger to check if there's a round ready to chamber between bolt cycles, it can be done whilst not breaking my yeald to reduce the likelihood of dry fires and only takes a second to do.
Other than preventing dry fire it saves me wasting time on a shot that isn't going to happen. There's nothing worse than having something lined up perfectly and .... click :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 19 Mar 2021, 7:56 am

Yeah especially when there is a big angry boar coming straight at you , which happened to a mate of mine one time and he had to run and his step father had to shoot the pig on the run right behind him , which was an awesome shot . I was just a teenager at the time and was kind of transfixed with fear . His father never said anything just picked up the gun and walked over to a creek and threw the gun into the creek . We weren't game to say anything .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.