What's the easiest way to value old shotguns?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

What's the easiest way to value old shotguns?

Post by Bremen » 09 Mar 2021, 10:00 pm

Hi
I need to figure out if any of my old shotguns are worth selling or just junk to be handed in.
Condition varies greatly and a few are those old exposed hammer types. I called a few stores and they were not interested in looking at them unless charging a valuation.

Is there some sort of list or database I can type details into to see if they're remotely collectable?
Bremen
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: What's the easiest way to value old shotguns?

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Mar 2021, 10:52 pm

G'day Bremen,
No, the only possibility to look up a shotgun would be in the Blue Book which you would need to buy and it is possible that the book is worth more than your guns. The easiest way is to note the name and type of your guns and send the list to a dealer known to specialize in shotguns and just take his word on them or spend the time yourself to go through auction listings, online gunsites and forums to determine if any of your guns are collectibles. As a start, try listing them with a photo here and I'm sure members will try to help identify anything valuable. Just for a guide, I bought a fairly nice Cashmore hammergun last week for $50, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ThatNewGuy » 09 Mar 2021, 11:32 pm

Bremen wrote:Hi
I need to figure out if any of my old shotguns are worth selling or just junk to be handed in.
Condition varies greatly and a few are those old exposed hammer types. I called a few stores and they were not interested in looking at them unless charging a valuation.

Is there some sort of list or database I can type details into to see if they're remotely collectable?

When I was hunting for my shotgun I went on all of the used gun websites and sorted by sold to see which ones actually sell in the rare case that I would have to resell it later.

As luck would have it I saw one out of the corner of my eye and decided to go for it and since then I have checked it out online only to find out that it is worth a fair bit more than what I paid for it so I would for sure check the sold listings so you don't sell for too cheap because you couldn't be bothered to check.
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 10 Mar 2021, 12:32 pm

Shotguns are so cheap these days there isn't much need to buy second hand. You could get a Stoeger Outback Tactical for $700 or a basic Adler for $600 brand new.
I tried to sell my Dickinson after less than a year and took a massive loss on it just to get rid of it.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2021, 12:59 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:
Bremen wrote:Hi

When I was hunting for my shotgun I went on all of the used gun websites and sorted by sold to see which ones actually sell in the rare case that I would have to resell it later.

As luck would have it I saw one out of the corner of my eye and decided to go for it and since then I have checked it out online only to find out that it is worth a fair bit more than what I paid for it so I would for sure check the sold listings so you don't sell for too cheap because you couldn't be bothered to check.

Be aware that the price that was listed on a firearm does not mean that's what it actually sold for.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 10 Mar 2021, 5:19 pm

Most old side by sides are dime a dozen as others have written.
There are of course exceptions like H&H, Some Greeners etcetera.
Maybe just offload em at the next auction then you may get some cash but I do not know how it all works so you would need to contact them.
I think the most well known is Australian antique arms auction.
The other thing would be to get onto a collector through the collectors club in your state. You may get some coin or at least they will go to a good home.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 11 Mar 2021, 10:29 pm

Can you share any details of what you have - make, gauge, single/double, hammer/hammerless, ejector/extractor, rough assessment of condition? Maybe some here will be able to identify what's what or at least advise which are looking into more closely.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 11 Mar 2021, 10:50 pm

You can go online to The Blue Book of Gun Values and buy individual reports for specific models for about $2.95 or so - I assume that is US$ and values are likely to be US valuations which may not be applicable Downunder. We seem to be charged triple or more for anything firearm related in Oz.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bridgy » 30 Mar 2021, 7:09 pm

If you are in SA I might be interested in buying one!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.