Shotgun quality, a question for CAT C and pre 1996 shooters

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Shotgun quality, a question for CAT C and pre 1996 shooters

Post by CAVEMAN » 18 Mar 2021, 6:12 pm

Evening

Now I have no access to use or play with a pump action shotgun, being I'm only a standard A+B license holder. But i have played with a few levers and straight pulls.

The question I have for anyone amongst the crowd that has or has had access to both. How do the build quality stack up? Do any of our straight pull or lever action offerings hold a candle to a build quality of a pump. Or are they all on the lower side.

I have a dim view of allot of the Turkish guns we get, but we also get what we pay for.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Shotgun quality, a question for CAT C and pre 1996 shoot

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Mar 2021, 6:29 pm

This may seem quite backwards and not exactly in line with your question but....
I know a bloke (avid cat C gun owner for over 4 decades with a large collection of quality arms) who sold his remington pump action 12 gauge and replaced it with a cheap Turkish made straight pull to simplify his lafo requirements.
He was happy with it, I thought he was mad though :unknown:

He also sold his carbon fibre barred 10/22 , replaced it with a bolt .22 and dropped his cat C all together. :cry:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 18 Mar 2021, 6:38 pm

Back when we were allowed to have fun , I remember having autos and pumps and they never gave Me any of the grief that we are having today with straights and levers
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 18 Mar 2021, 7:01 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:This may seem quite backwards and not exactly in line with your question but....
I know a bloke (avid cat C gun owner for over 4 decades with a large collection of quality arms) who sold his remington pump action 12 gauge and replaced it with a cheap Turkish made straight pull to simplify his lafo requirements.
He was happy with it, I thought he was mad though :unknown:

He also sold his carbon fibre barred 10/22 , replaced it with a bolt .22 and dropped his cat C all together. :cry:

That makes sense but, so much extra comes with Cat C. And the basic farm needs would be done with what you said.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 18 Mar 2021, 7:03 pm

Blr243 wrote:Back when we were allowed to have fun , I remember having autos and pumps and they never gave Me any of the grief that we are having today with straights and levers

That's what i kind of thought. Not sure if the actions are overly flawed or more so less development put into them. Plus a smaller niche market.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Mar 2021, 8:48 pm

The Bentley was less than todays straight/lever offerings but the Mossberg 500 was slick. The question becomes marginal however as when we could have pumps we could also have semi-auto so a Winnie 1400 or Remington 1100, in my case the last was a SPAS12, were more likely to be encountered than any pump action, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 18 Mar 2021, 10:50 pm

I did a lot of shooting with a Browning Auto-5 as well as the Mossberg pump and Winchester 1300(?) pump. The Browning was in a class of its own and the Win was a step above the Mossberg but the nicest pump I ever shot was a Remington Wingmaster - it was as smooth as cats poo. The levers I've shot seem tacky in comparison. That's not saying nice ones aren't out there but I haven't handled one yet. I've not had my hands on a straight pull.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.