Gamebore cartridges?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Gamebore cartridges?

Post by jimboslice » 26 Mar 2021, 3:57 pm

I notice looking around online at most gunshops that Gamebore cartridges are pretty much non-existent on the Australian market. I know that in the UK market Gamebore is the best selling cartridges and very high quality.

I have found a few dealers who sell them in Vic and at relatively reasonable prices as well, e.g. $135 for a slab of Black gold (their top cartridge), $120 for a slab of White gold (a favourite of the UK), $99 for a slab of Velocity (good training shell)

Would love to hear some thoughts of people who have used Gamebore cartridges and why they arn't bigger in Australia?
jimboslice
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Gamebore cartridges?

Post by mchughcb » 27 Mar 2021, 6:20 pm

Been using the Gamebore Evo 21 gram load. Perfect for around the orchard.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Mar 2021, 6:37 pm

jimboslice wrote:I notice looking around online at most gunshops that Gamebore cartridges are pretty much non-existent on the Australian market. I know that in the UK market Gamebore is the best selling cartridges and very high quality.

I have found a few dealers who sell them in Vic and at relatively reasonable prices as well, e.g. $135 for a slab of Black gold (their top cartridge), $120 for a slab of White gold (a favourite of the UK), $99 for a slab of Velocity (good training shell)

Would love to hear some thoughts of people who have used Gamebore cartridges and why they arn't bigger in Australia?

Maybe we use our guns differently here than the UK?
I just grab a slab of whatever field load comes up on special around the $100 mark, but I don't shoot competition or hunt with them, they're just for fun. If I want to hunt I dump out the field load and swap in BB's or slugs, or whatever I need.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 27 Mar 2021, 11:13 pm

I have the same question about why shops don't stock more 2 1/2" (65mm) cartridges - particularly in reduced recoil loads. There must be thousands of old guns chambered for 2 1/2" cartridges that are gathering dust because nobody stocks the appropriate shells. Typically these old guns are streets ahead in quality compared to many new guns on sale today and especially compared to the cheaper end of the market.
2 1/2" shells work perfectly fine in guns chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells and are recommended by many for use in such guns as a matter of course. However you can't safely fire 2 3/4" shells in a 2 1/2" chamber.
Moderate 2 1/2" loads are easier on the gun and on the shooter and are the first choice for bird shooting in the UK. If you need convincing, fire a few boxes of 36g 2 3/4" field loads through a 6 1/2lb side by side in a day and see how you feel. Then think of how many cartridges a shooter can go through in a day on a driven bird shoot.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Mar 2021, 12:50 am

G'day jimboslice,
I use Lyalvale in my vintagers as they make a good 16g that was easy to get here for a while. I have used Gamebore, but they didn't bring 16's in so I bought Lyalvale 12g when I bought the 16g shells. One of the main reasons for not seeing much normal game loads is the dollar to pound conversion, shipping and distribution costs compared to locally made cartridges and the big imported stuff, Cheers.
PS: Lyalvale make a 2" cartridge also.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 28 Mar 2021, 1:50 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day jimboslice,
I use Lyalvale in my vintagers as they make a good 16g that was easy to get here for a while. I have used Gamebore, but they didn't bring 16's in so I bought Lyalvale 12g when I bought the 16g shells. One of the main reasons for not seeing much normal game loads is the dollar to pound conversion, shipping and distribution costs compared to locally made cartridges and the big imported stuff, Cheers.
PS: Lyalvale make a 2" cartridge also.

Good points - who stocks Lyalvale?
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.