Best shotgun smith?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Best shotgun smith?

Post by Diamond Jim » 26 Mar 2021, 11:14 pm

Looking for suggestions. If you had an antique gun (100+ years) from one of London's best gunmakers which is still trading today - one of their new guns would be multiple £10,000s, this one is probably in the $6-8,000 range - who would you send it to for work for an ejector that's playing up?
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Best shotgun smith?

Post by pomemax » 27 Mar 2021, 12:14 am

Ring the maker and ask them who they recommend in Aust .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 28 Mar 2021, 2:08 am

Update - today I took the grinder to a screwdriver to make a tool that accurately fitted the lock screw and removed the locks. It's appalling how many guns you come across with butchered screws because someone has used mechanics screwdrivers to dismantle their gun - screwdrivers are cheap, antique guns are not. Always use a screwdriver that FITS the screw. If you don't have the right tool, make one!
In any case, it seems that sometime in this guns 130 year history something has broken. Specifically, the actuator that trips the ejector in the right barrel. Someone has solved the problem by removing the broken part - effectively leaving the right barrel as an extractor. The downside of this fix is that the ejector actuator also supported the cocking lever so, without the ejector mechanism, the lever would flex on cocking and only engage the interceptor sear and not the trigger sear. I manufactured a stainless steel shim to sit behind the cocking lever to support it and all is good. To reinstate the ejector function on the right barrel means manufacturing new parts and, given the history and potential value of this gun that probably should be done by the maker. One Powerball....
Last edited by Diamond Jim on 30 Mar 2021, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 28 Mar 2021, 2:27 am

Well done DJ, fixing something with a workaround is always good.

Maybe a polite email to the maker with photos of the gun and description of the problem, they may be pleased to help.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 28 Mar 2021, 1:06 pm

Post some pics. I appreciate old firearms.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 29 Mar 2021, 11:53 pm

Not too sure how to post pictures but it's an 1890s Henry Atkin (from Purdey's) sidelock ejector - trading today in London as part of Atkin, Grant and Lang. Not heavily engraved or ornate but, as I recall, handled beautifully. Markings suggest cylinder and "choke".
I remember taking it to a "simulated field" shoot many years ago and jaws dropping. For many years before we realised what we had this was our farm gun and it was treated as such so it's had a few bumps and scrapes but still mirror bright bores and sound as a bell. If 2 1/2" shells were more available I'd have no qualms shooting it regularly today. ICIL Grand Prix was the standard load we used.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.