Break-down cases for shotgun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Break-down cases for shotgun

Post by tb65 » 19 Apr 2021, 3:29 pm

Recently bought a new $3,000 shotgun and only have a gun slip for it to take to the range and back. Seems most people have their shotgun in a break-down hard case; I know most new shotguns come with those. When the shotgun is at home, it is in the safe and to be in there, it must be assembled unless you have a big safe and can fit the case in it. When you get to the range, it is assembled for use. So unless you travel somewhere far to shoot and have to have a fully packed car, or perhaps fly somewhere for a competition, what's the point in getting a hard case for a shotgun? Seems mostly inconvenient to me.

thanks
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Break-down cases for shotgun

Post by womble » 19 Apr 2021, 3:42 pm

No. Thank You for your valuable input.
I think the shotgun will be just fine as is for your carry on luggage when flying .
In fact, you could even treat yourself to a tour of the cockpit. And insist on a destination of your choosing.
Who needs a silly hard case.
Last edited by womble on 19 Apr 2021, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2021, 3:50 pm

tb65 wrote:Recently bought a new $3,000 shotgun and only have a gun slip for it to take to the range and back. Seems most people have their shotgun in a break-down hard case; I know most new shotguns come with those. When the shotgun is at home, it is in the safe and to be in there, it must be assembled unless you have a big safe and can fit the case in it. When you get to the range, it is assembled for use. So unless you travel somewhere far to shoot and have to have a fully packed car, or perhaps fly somewhere for a competition, what's the point in getting a hard case for a shotgun? Seems mostly inconvenient to me.

thanks

If I take a firearm somewhere it usually just goes in a soft bag, but I do have an aluminium hard case as well, but I wouldn't want to keep it in the safes, cases take up too much valuable room in there.

My Stoeger has 30" barrels, it will fit into the safe, but has to be angled, which takes up too much room. I keep the forend and buttstock in the bolt box at the top of the safe and the barrels in the main safe.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Craig » 20 Apr 2021, 10:35 am

My son and I had some fun building our own hard cases. Look good but remain empty as we store and travel with our guns in soft bags.
Personal preference I suppose. We could use the hard cases as I built our gun locker big enough.
Craig
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tb65 » 26 Apr 2021, 4:36 pm

Craig wrote:My son and I had some fun building our own hard cases. Look good but remain empty as we store and travel with our guns in soft bags.
Personal preference I suppose. We could use the hard cases as I built our gun locker big enough.

I was thinking that the only time I might want a case would be if I wanted to take my spare chokes and tool to change them to the range. Otherwise, the soft bags do seem to be a sensible and easy option for regular use
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Apr 2021, 9:07 pm

G'day tb65,
You answered your own question in your post, "travel somewhere far to shoot". Quality guns were always sold in wooden cases with all the accessories once upon a time, and many guns today are also in cases, mostly impact resistant plastic instead of wood. Having the option of a fitted case never hurts though, as you never know when you might be invited to shoot pheasant in Tassie, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.