Advice on what size shot for what game?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Advice on what size shot for what game?

Post by K2bonsai » 30 Apr 2021, 1:54 pm

So I pick up my 12G shotgun next week and have not hunted with once since I was in me teens many years ago. At that time i just used the shells I was handed but now need to sort out what shot sizes to buy for relevant game and am looking for advice. Main uses for the shotgun (I currently shoot a 22WMR and 6.5CM) to compliment my rifles are:

- Rabbits when walking and not using my 22WMR (still want to retain the meat for eating)
- Foxes (when not using a rifle or using in conjunction with someone using a rifle)
- Pigs (again if not using my rifle, ie thick scrub etc)
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Advice on what size shot for what game?

Post by deye243 » 30 Apr 2021, 2:14 pm

I use number 2 lead shot for everything most versatile I have ever come across been doing it for 30 + years as for the pigs something heavier as we don't have them around here I haven't tried it on them and probably wouldn't unless they were piglets
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Apr 2021, 2:35 pm

G'day K2bonsai,
A lot of factors to consider, but in a general sense I use #4 for close in fox, most rabbit and low ducks, it's a fairly common all around size in 1 1/4 loads. I would use 00/SG Buck (preferably 000/LG but hard to find now) or Solids for pigs, both have served me well over the years. Keep a couple of #8 in the pocket if you have quail in the area, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Apr 2021, 3:04 pm

I don’t want to be carrying several different types of ammo. So I only have bbs for foxes cates and rabbits ....I used to think aaa or SSG for pigs but I think there is too much potential for wounding at longer ranges. So now I would only use O0 SG
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 30 Apr 2021, 10:29 pm

Not advice but in my experience:
Quail - 7 1/2 - 9
Rabbits/Ducks - #4 to #6
Fox - #2 - BB
Pig - AAA -OO
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by K2bonsai » 30 Apr 2021, 10:58 pm

Cheers for all the advice. Is there any difference in the ability to harvest the rabbit between #4 and #6? I would assume 6 will do less damage?
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 30 Apr 2021, 11:16 pm

I use #2 for everything up to dogs. can be used on pigs too depending on situation. in thick scrub 00 buck, solids etc all fine for swine and bigger game. if you want to eat rabbits maybe some steel shot in #6?
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Apr 2021, 11:22 pm

I bust rabbits with 6.5's
Foxes and cats BB'S
Pigs and goats with 00sg
And the occasional slug for slightly longer shots on medium game

I find those work well with the fixed improved cylinder chokes on my side by side.
I mostly shoot rabbits with it so I fill my cartridge belt with mostly 6.5, slip in a few bb and a slug or two just in case.
Most people like to pattern ther shotguns on a big piece of butchers paper and play with chokes to find what patterns the best.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 May 2021, 7:18 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I bust rabbits with 6.5's
Foxes and cats BB'S
Pigs and goats with 00sg
And the occasional slug for slightly longer shots on medium game

I find those work well with the fixed improved cylinder chokes on my side by side.
I mostly shoot rabbits with it so I fill my cartridge belt with mostly 6.5, slip in a few bb and a slug or two just in case.
Most people like to pattern ther shotguns on a big piece of butchers paper and play with chokes to find what patterns the best.

Listen to this bloke. I use 2s on foxes.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 01 May 2021, 11:03 pm

K2bonsai wrote:Cheers for all the advice. Is there any difference in the ability to harvest the rabbit between #4 and #6? I would assume 6 will do less damage?

#4 = fewer holes but more penetration
#6 = more holes but less penetration

Just choose one and it will do the job - maybe #5s as a compromise but I doubt that most rabbits could tell the difference. They will all do.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.