Eye Dominance

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Eye Dominance

Post by Vone » 13 May 2021, 12:20 pm

G'day all,

Turns out that I'm left eye dominant as a right hander. Now that I'm starting out in trap shooting this has been flagged as an issue. I've tried shooting from the left shoulder, but this was a disaster. Other options that have been put to me are; to put some tape over the left lense of my shooting glasses, close one eye, and I've had others say not to worry about it, just shoot with two eyes open from the right shoulder.

Anyone who has faced the same issue and had success with any of the remedies above, I'd be grateful for your feedback!

Cheers
Vone
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Eye Dominance

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 May 2021, 1:12 pm

I'm right eye dominant and left handed nit luckily I shoot right handed.

I always shoot with both eyes open.

Are you having issues with nailing the clays or just looking for improvement ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Skinna » 13 May 2021, 2:29 pm

Shoot one eye open.
Practice this till it becomes an almost automatic habit, whilst every now & then challenge yourself & open the other eye to varying degrees at various stages of shooting.
(Meaning just slightly open/squint to completely open etc, from before shouldering, up to opening the eye any time just before the shot (fraction of or less than a second), concentrating on retaining the same image. Its easy stuff we do all the time, were just not concious of it...like ignoring movement in peripheral vision when looking through a scope, or concentrating on something.

Also have seperate practice sessions to concentrate on what youre looking at, (the bead at the end of the face of a slightly elevated rib), this way you'll reprogram your minds "automation" as to what to look for when shooting both open.. Do this both before a shooting session, as well as at home against the wall/at the neighbours cat etc etc :lol:

Dont let those clay target "experts" scare you & program your mind with negative sh!t as they all too often do..!! As i bet you now have an overwhelming fear this clay busting is going to be so very hard for you, & now all you see is predomantly the left eye (because thats whats just been made/pointed out to you)...because it wont difficult...

Some of these experts (not all--but some..!!) have no idea how to "train', particularly shotgun shooters...Them saying youre left eye dominant, telling you how much harder it makes shooting & giving you random grabbed "fixes" for it, Is like me saying to an overweight diabetic starting a diet, "Dont think about a large Whopper from hungry jacks & a thickshake" :unknown: :roll: ,

Other than what ive said, just come up with your own little regime of fixes concentrating on the image from right eye & you'll be shooting 2 eyes open when necessary.

By the way, im a believer that sometimes there is good reason to shoot one eye closed, early morning glare from sunrise is one, flare off of water is another, so having the skill to do either & switch without even thinking is a good thing. :thumbsup:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by scoot » 13 May 2021, 3:57 pm

I have the same problem. I only shoot clays maybe once or twice a year (and do terribly) so I don't have any grounds for exacting results.
I tried tape,etc and found this more of a distraction. Can't even wipe my rse with my left hand so snap shooting left handed was disastrous. :thumbsdown: I've been told about a blinder type thing (stuck on the lhs of the bead) that blocks the sight of the bead to your left eye.
Get moderate success by squinting or shutting left eye for at least the period when shouldering the gun and gaining a sight picture. If you have enough time to follow a target you'll likely be able to open both eyes once you've gained the initial "bead" picture. Like skinner said I think once your brain is concentrating on what your doing (right eye focus) it keeps doing it.
Practice practice practise. I've got an electric trap coming to replace the $90 p.o.s. I broke years ago. My plan is to shoot more and develope a strategy that works. Then I won't get so embarrassed at the range. :thumbsup:
It's hard to quantify what works and what was a good/bad day unless you try repeatedly...
Good luck, let me know if you find the "silver bullet" fix.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Vone » 14 May 2021, 6:52 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's a matter of trial and error with eye dominance.

on_one_wheel - at the moment the problem I'm having is nailing the clays. I have a feeling it's a combination of eye dominance and incorrect lead technique. Cheers
Vone
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 16 May 2021, 11:12 pm

Vone wrote:G'day all,

Turns out that I'm left eye dominant as a right hander. Now that I'm starting out in trap shooting this has been flagged as an issue. I've tried shooting from the left shoulder, but this was a disaster. Other options that have been put to me are; to put some tape over the left lense of my shooting glasses, close one eye, and I've had others say not to worry about it, just shoot with two eyes open from the right shoulder.

Anyone who has faced the same issue and had success with any of the remedies above, I'd be grateful for your feedback!

Cheers

I am left eye dominant and right handed, My trap and skeet medals don't know the difference, nor do my archery medals and trophies, my advice is just practice until you get a natural bearing, best not to even consider it.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Bugman » 18 May 2021, 3:27 pm

Right handed but left eye dominant for me.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 22 May 2021, 12:50 pm

I'm right eye dom and right handed, so I don't have the same problem, what I do to train at home, is I have a laser sighter, and I practice by starting with the gun down, and when i mount it , my eyes follow the laser , keep doing this and eventually it will become a habit.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Robin » 22 May 2021, 12:57 pm

I'm right eye dom and right handed, so I don't have the same problem, what I do to train at home, is I have a laser sighter, and I practice by starting with the gun down, and when i mount it , my eyes follow the laser , keep doing this and eventually it will become a habit.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Craig » 27 May 2021, 6:46 am

A few weeks ago, Aldi had sports glasses for $10. Dark, clear and yellow interchangeable lenses.
When I practice, I have the dark lens over my left and yellow/clear over my right. Like Robin, I often pop a laser in to assist with tracking when I practice mount.
Disclaimer: im no expert, just experimenting based on stuff I read in the internet.
Craig
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.