Bolt action Shotguns

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Bolt action Shotguns

Post by headwerkn » 12 Jan 2015, 10:17 pm

I have a Slazenger .410 bolt-action shotgun, the one they (rather crudely) made out of shot-out SMLE No.1 MkIII*s just after WWII as an 'orchard pest gun'. They're reasonably rare, only 7000 or so were made. It's not a repeater though, single shot only, so there's no real benefit to be had. It does handle 3" shells like a champ and has accounted for several rabbits and dozens of clays over the past few years.

The Sportco Model 81 and 83 are on my 'to acquire' list, though for collection purposes rather than any practical field use. I think there's a very good reason why double barrels and semi autos (where possible) still rule.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by agentzero » 13 Jan 2015, 10:58 am

Chronos wrote:A guy I worked with has a brother that he says can hit clays sitting on a bank at 50y with his slug master or what ever it's called. Sounds like sufficient accuracy for deer and pigs in the scrub.

He must not be hunting the elusive pygmy deer! Like little 4 legged baseballs running round, tough to hit!

:sarcasm:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by meek » 13 Jan 2015, 11:00 am

agentzero,

I think you might be getting confused with "rabbits" :mrgreen:
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 14 Jan 2015, 8:08 am

meek wrote:agentzero,

I think you might be getting confused with "rabbits" :mrgreen:

no, pygmy deer, you know...these

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 14 Jan 2015, 10:57 am

Yeah!

In your face, Meek.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by meek » 14 Jan 2015, 10:57 am

Well I'll be :lol:

I stand corrected.
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Milsurp98 » 25 Jun 2016, 9:33 pm

First shotgun i fired was a bolt action Sportco 12G. 30 years ago. Have always wanted to buy one. Sportco 81
Well I just bought one. Just have to wait for the PTA now and I will finally have one in my safe
Milsurp98
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by southeast varmiter » 26 Jun 2016, 12:17 pm

Bolt action shotgun barrels are usually rifled, unlike other options described.
Result is you can use the sabot slugs the smooth bores cannot. They were designed for Europe were small danger template hunting areas forbid the use of centre fire cartridges.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Jun 2016, 12:33 pm

Several American states, or counties within some states, only allow deer hunting with shotguns. The blot action shotgun, especially with the rifled barrel, seems to have been made for these regions.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 26 Jun 2016, 6:35 pm

I saw a video of one of the A-Bolt shotguns on Facebook and it had been modified with a big huge box mag and it fired something like ten shots in eight seconds if I remember correctly
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 26 Jun 2016, 7:16 pm

That would be Richard Rashleigh from RR Custom in Adelaide. I nearly bought a 695 Mossberg that had a homemade 10 shot mag once but it was pretty unbalanced. I did own a model 395 with the accuchoke for a while and I loved it,I just always wanted a 4 round mag though. It was great out spotlighting and I found it to point really well and found it quite light. I ended up shortening and porting the barrel and fitting a red dot just coz lol. It had a real big game rifle feel to it. Wouldn't mind another to run my new brass cased round ball loads through ! :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.