Verney Carron Veloce on Foxes

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Verney Carron Veloce on Foxes

Post by mchughcb » 31 May 2021, 9:32 pm

Still pretty slow on the second shot

https://youtu.be/9wD7BlglPK8
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Verney Carron Veloce on Foxes

Post by ZaineB » 31 May 2021, 9:36 pm

mintox
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by mchughcb » 31 May 2021, 9:40 pm

Goes well.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 31 May 2021, 9:45 pm

How do you find the Veloce?
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 31 May 2021, 9:47 pm

I'd bet he found it expensive
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by mchughcb » 31 May 2021, 9:58 pm

Might buy one. I'll see. I just borrowed it. Still not as fast as my triple but beats the lever action and straight pulls hands down.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 31 May 2021, 10:29 pm

mchughcb wrote:Might buy one. I'll see. I just borrowed it. Still not as fast as my triple but beats the lever action and straight pulls hands down.

I bought a straight pull cos screw messing with the CAT B nonsense just for a shotgun for ferks sake. but I did long toy with the idea of a veloce.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by ZaineB » 31 May 2021, 10:30 pm

oh and check your PM's
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by mchughcb » 02 Jun 2021, 8:29 pm

I've spent a few shifts hunting with the straight pulls. They aren't in the same category as the veloce for speed, which isnt' in the same category as the triple barrel for speed.

Just about everyone I've hunted with for ducks and foxes who had a lever action or a straight pull has gone back to double or triple barrels because they handle better and are faster for the second shot.

But if you want to shoot a can of a fence 5 times for fun they go okay :lol:
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Mick 460 » 15 Jun 2021, 1:31 pm

Hi, hey mchughcb when you had the veloce did you notice or check to see if the receiver was aluminium or carbon steel, I can't really find anything of use on the gun. Did you notice maybe if the butt is cast for a right hander or is it straight, also is it possible to swap the bolt release to the left hand side. The barrel looks in pics to be matt blued however the receiver looks to be more like a powder coat or cerakote, this leads me to think its an aluminium alloy. Ring gun shops but they're no help and I don't fancy paying that kind of money for a material that will likely be exposed to thousands of rounds. Any advice would be appreciated, cheers, mick
Mick 460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 15 Jun 2021, 6:33 pm

Mick 460 wrote:Hi, hey mchughcb when you had the veloce did you notice or check to see if the receiver was aluminium or carbon steel, I can't really find anything of use on the gun. Did you notice maybe if the butt is cast for a right hander or is it straight, also is it possible to swap the bolt release to the left hand side. The barrel looks in pics to be matt blued however the receiver looks to be more like a powder coat or cerakote, this leads me to think its an aluminium alloy. Ring gun shops but they're no help and I don't fancy paying that kind of money for a material that will likely be exposed to thousands of rounds. Any advice would be appreciated, cheers, mick

From what I remember the cast is pretty much straight. The VC site says they can be ordered for left handers for the lever, so I'm not sure its a simple swap, probably have to special order straight up. I'm pretty sure the receiver is alloy and I don't like the coating on the barrel. It certainly isn't as good as a cerakote and I have already seen the barrel and receiver scratched on barbed wire.

Having said all that, if you are after a semi but can't get the cat C then this is a good compromise. Still not as fast as my 3 barrel but its better than a lever action or a straight pull, but comes at a price.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Mick 460 » 15 Jun 2021, 7:07 pm

Cheers for the input mate, I have 2 levers already, an original Winchester and the IAC and sold my tripple last year. S.A. duck permits only allow for shotguns with a maximum capacity of two. So side by side or superposed guns, which is what I use anyway but I do like firearms that are a bit different in general, they are still a cat A in south Oz but not sure for how much longer. Same as the cz 515.
Mick 460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 15 Jun 2021, 7:16 pm

I'd take the VC for duck hunting anyday. They are legal in Vic for duck hunting. I'd need to check for ducks on the rice in NSW though.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Mick 460 » 15 Jun 2021, 8:02 pm

Excellent, looks like they point well. Tax time coming up and I'm pretty well maxed out on my cat B rifles. Thanks heaps for the advice.
Mick 460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.