Yildiz opinions

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Yildiz opinions

Post by Shootermick » 27 Jun 2021, 6:06 pm

I’ve been posting a few shotgun posts lately.
I’m looking at a Yildiz, albeit in 28 gauge, not everyone’s gauge of choice I know.
But gauge aside, any Yildiz owners out there who’d be keen to share their thoughts??
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Yildiz opinions

Post by mchughcb » 28 Jun 2021, 8:44 am

Was it a side by side or an under and over? There was a few Yildiz sxs 28 gauge getting around 2 years ago and they looked nice. I almost bought one. I have a turkish made sxs webley and scott 20 guage with 26" barrels and to be honest I love it. I also liked the Armed but I couldn't find one in 28g but their little 410 is great handling gun and cheap too ~ $1k.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 28 Jun 2021, 3:15 pm

mchughcb wrote:Was it a side by side or an under and over? There was a few Yildiz sxs 28 gauge getting around 2 years ago and they looked nice. I almost bought one. I have a turkish made sxs webley and scott 20 guage with 26" barrels and to be honest I love it. I also liked the Armed but I couldn't find one in 28g but their little 410 is great handling gun and cheap too ~ $1k.

It was an under and over. SPZ ME model. I would have bought it but it was the last one and it had a few marks from being on the shelf. There’s more coming in about a weeks time so I’ll grab a spanker out of the box.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 29 Jun 2021, 7:35 am

The 28 gauge shells are not cheap compared to 20G or 12G and generally the upper limit is #6 lead. Which is why everytime I convince myself I need a 28G and buy a 20G.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Harronek » 29 Jun 2021, 7:44 am

28ga is my favourite sub-gauge .
The 20ga is so close to the 12ga in performance ( exception is when using loads over 1 1/8 oz in the 12ga ) that it’s not that interesting to me .
I know it’s controversial here , but in my opinion the .410 is a struggle to use consistently compared to the 28ga .
The 28ga is the true sub-gauge in my view and always brings a smile to my face when using it.
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 29 Jun 2021, 7:58 am

No arguements from me. Just wish the ammo was cheaper. I'd be using the 3/4 loads all the time. The 410 can't hold a candle to a 28 gauge.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 29 Jun 2021, 2:10 pm

Harronek wrote:28ga is my favourite sub-gauge .
The 20ga is so close to the 12ga in performance ( exception is when using loads over 1 1/8 oz in the 12ga ) that it’s not that interesting to me .
I know it’s controversial here , but in my opinion the .410 is a struggle to use consistently compared to the 28ga .
The 28ga is the true sub-gauge in my view and always brings a smile to my face when using it.

What sort of 28g shotgun have you got?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Harronek » 29 Jun 2021, 2:35 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Harronek wrote:28ga is my favourite sub-gauge .

What sort of 28g shotgun have you got?

Sub gauge tubes in my 12 ga .

20ga / 28ga / .410 made by Briley .
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 29 Jun 2021, 11:17 pm

mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2021, 5:11 pm

Im not really up with values these days. But that sounds like a good price.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 30 Jun 2021, 5:42 pm

mchughcb wrote:Here's a Turkish akkar 28 gauge

https://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/9398 ... 8_28g.html

That looks good. But I bought a Yildiz today, $950, and there’s a few coming in so they said I’ll get my pick of them too. They’ve got all the gauges coming in and he reckons they won’t last long.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 30 Jun 2021, 6:37 pm

Look at this charles daly 410 only $259 brand new!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3354016028
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 30 Jun 2021, 9:12 pm

Shootermick wrote:

That looks good. But I bought a Yildiz today, $950, and there’s a few coming in so they said I’ll get my pick of them too. They’ve got all the gauges coming in and he reckons they won’t last long.

Genuinely interested how you get on with it. Post here when ready.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 30 Jun 2021, 9:29 pm

mchughcb wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

Genuinely interested how you get on with it. Post here when ready.

Will do mate. Hopefully get it mid/late next week.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by boingk » 05 Aug 2021, 9:07 pm

Oooh... 28G... yeah keen to see how it goes. Half inch vs 3/4, makes for an interesting proper subgauge.

I must confess, I've never used anything other than 12 and 410.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Aug 2021, 10:00 pm

I own a Turkish made Akkar. Hasn't let me down hunting or clays. Good value. I think there's a few Turkish manufacturers.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 06 Aug 2021, 4:30 pm

I picked up my Yildiz 28g a week or so ago and will say that I was really impressed. Looks solid and well made, pretty nice on the eye too. It’s pretty tight to break open, which I had heard about them, but it should loosen up a bit with use. The ejectors really throw out those empty shells with some force too.
Gave it a run with some 7.5s on some clays, it handles and points really well, managed to hit a few but not as many as my 12g which is to be expected. I’m only new to clay shooting as it is, but with practice I’ll get better. It’s a good thing to swap out with the 12g on the clays, box or two then put one shotgun down and pick up the other one for a run.
Early days, but I’m very happy so far.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Aug 2021, 5:00 pm

Shootermick wrote:I picked up my Yildiz 28g a week or so ago and will say that I was really impressed. Looks solid and well made, pretty nice on the eye too. It’s pretty tight to break open, which I had heard about them, but it should loosen up a bit with use. The ejectors really throw out those empty shells with some force too.
Gave it a run with some 7.5s on some clays, it handles and points really well, managed to hit a few but not as many as my 12g which is to be expected. I’m only new to clay shooting as it is, but with practice I’ll get better. It’s a good thing to swap out with the 12g on the clays, box or two then put one shotgun down and pick up the other one for a run.

Congratulations on the purchase.
My Turkish 12g was stiff as to open, but she softened up eventually.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 06 Aug 2021, 5:24 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
Shootermick wrote:I picked up my Yildiz 28g a week or so ago and will say that I was really impressed. Looks solid and well made, pretty nice on the eye too. It’s pretty tight to break open, which I had heard about them, but it should loosen up a bit with use. The ejectors really throw out those empty shells with some force too.

Congratulations on the purchase.
My Turkish 12g was stiff as to open, but she softened up eventually.

If I update my 12g, which I probably will at some stage, I’d definitely look at Yildiz again. I think the most recent supply of Yildiz shotguns in different gauges sold pretty quickly too.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 06 Aug 2021, 6:48 pm

Great to hear. I love my 20 gauges, but at some point I'm going to get a 28 gauge even if its just for pheasants and partridges. I have just been waiting for a half decent built and reasonable prices and looks like Yildiz hits the mark. When the lockdown lifts in 2022 I'll head down to the local and check them out.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.