12g and rifle Combination

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: 12g and rifle Combination

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jul 2021, 8:17 pm

dnardy wrote:on_one_wheel, mchughcb,
Those might be a little out of my price range. Had my heart set on 12G too.

The fit might be a bit better for running shots but a lot of practice and you should get it down pat.
I hunted for a full year with nothing but a combo and in the right hands you will do fine.

https://youtu.be/-dknYbgw32I
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by dnardy » 13 Jul 2021, 6:27 am

Fionn wrote:
dnardy wrote:[

I will check the twist Fionn, from my research it could be anywhere from 1:14 to 1:9,

Yeah the twist rate can be all over the place depending on the age and which Savage (owner) it was when made etc

Just wanted to give you a heads up if you where having problems with heavier projectiles. :thumbsup:

Cheers mate i would have been happy enough with a .22LR/12G combo so whatever it is I will make do.

In my local dealer now just waiting for PTA to go through.

Has anyone used the see-through scope mounts? I'm considering a higher magnification scope to make more use of the .223
30.06 Remington 7600 pump
25.06 Tikka T3
12G / .223 Savage combo
12G Browning GTS
Winchester Mod 06 .22 pump
Air rifle
dnardy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 15 Jul 2021, 5:54 pm

dnardy wrote:Has anyone used the see-through scope mounts? I'm considering a higher magnification scope to make more use of the .223

I have a long time ago, IMO no good for what you want, they are more a backup for the rifle side rather than useful for a shotgun.

Better off with a a very low power variable scope like the leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4X20 or similar, with quick detachable mounts (not that you would use them on the fly as such) that way you can use both eye's open with the shotgun.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jul 2021, 5:57 pm

Fionn wrote:
dnardy wrote:Has anyone used the see-through scope mounts? I'm considering a higher magnification scope to make more use of the .223

I have a long time ago, IMO no good for what you want, they are more a backup for the rifle side rather than useful for a shotgun.

Better off with a a very low power variable scope like the leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4X20 or similar, with quick detachable mounts (not that you would use them on the fly as such) that way you can use both eye's open with the shotgun.

That's about the best option I've heard.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.