Hammerless side by side

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Hammerless side by side

Post by Shootermick » 08 Jul 2021, 8:09 pm

There don’t seem to be too many options out there for a side by side without hammers.
Cleavers had the CZ Bobwhite, but they’ve sold out. The CZ have Huglu barrels and may be pretty much the same. That said, I can’t find a Huglu at the moment either.
What else could I look at? Not really too keen on the cheaper ones like Stoeger/Boito or the expensive options like the Berettas.
I’d like to keep it under about $1500 for the right gun.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Hammerless side by side

Post by bigpete » 08 Jul 2021, 8:26 pm

HEAPS of second hand ones out there...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 1886 » 08 Jul 2021, 9:02 pm

Turkey makes a variety of great sxs's and you would be surprised at what companies get them to make their shotguns.

I have two Yildiz Elegant's as per attached pic and they are great guns. Beautifully made and each was under $1k a few years ago.

https://spartanaustralia.com/product/yi ... s-elegant/
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2021, 9:30 pm

I have it on good authority that Baikel are worth a look.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Jul 2021, 1:07 am

G'day Shootermick,
New or 2nd hand?? 12g I assume? My mate has over 20 SxS 2nd hand hammerless for around that price or less and probably a dozen new guns, some of which would be about that price range. Every shop I go into has a dozen or more so does every website. What exactly do you want? Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 09 Jul 2021, 6:12 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Shootermick,
New or 2nd hand?? 12g I assume? My mate has over 20 SxS 2nd hand hammerless for around that price or less and probably a dozen new guns, some of which would be about that price range. Every shop I go into has a dozen or more so does every website. What exactly do you want? Cheers

I’d probably prefer new. But I just want one to go along with my pump and under/over. It would be a fun gun, something different to use on some very non competitive clay shooting.
Ive just bought a Yildiz under/over in 28g, thought it would be here this week but it hasn’t arrived. If it’s as good as I hope, then I might look at their sxs as suggested above.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 09 Jul 2021, 6:12 pm

Shootermick wrote:

12 g, yep. I’d probably prefer new. But I just want one to go along with my pump and under/over. It would be a fun gun, something different to use on some very non competitive clay shooting.
Ive just bought a Yildiz under/over in 28g, thought it would be here this week but it hasn’t arrived. If it’s as good as I hope, then I might look at their sxs as suggested above.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 09 Jul 2021, 6:15 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have it on good authority that Baikel are worth a look.

Hey OB.
A mate of mine had a Baikal .22 many years ago. He liked it, but I didn’t, kinda put me off Baikal, maybe they’re worth another look, but it isn’t at the top of my list.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 10 Jul 2021, 7:14 pm

Shootermick wrote:

I’d probably prefer new. But I just want one to go along with my pump and under/over. It would be a fun gun, something different to use on some very non competitive clay shooting.

Give Clayton arms a call. See if they have any of the Webley and Scott 2020K left. I'd aim for a IC and IM fixed choke, 3" chambers and you want it for under $990 new. You may get a straight stock, single trigger, no barrel selector, 26 or 28" barrel. Check for surface rust.

But trust me its a great little gun.

Here it is going up a 12 gauge O/U and no problems I can hit anything with the 1 oz loads.

https://youtu.be/X7POYF8GlyA
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jul 2021, 7:39 pm

Stoeger do some, I'm happy with my stoeger ss
https://www.stoegerindustries.com/side-by-side-shotguns
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 10 Jul 2021, 8:55 pm

bigpete wrote:HEAPS of second hand ones out there...

What he said.
Personally reckon you would do better getting an older higher quality piece than a newer cheap one.
Remember handling is everything with a shotty and the newer cheapies just dont.
Anyway that is my 2 cents.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 10 Jul 2021, 8:56 pm

My other recommendations in 12 gauge would be look at the Miroku 500, or the SKB 200E. I've held a few Miroku box locks and they were great quality.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.