full choke and steel shot

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

full choke and steel shot

Post by CT hillbilly » 13 Jul 2021, 8:21 pm

i have a pardus stright pull 12g and the choke in it has a C*****writen on it is this full? only asking becouse i just bought 12 boxes of assorted 12g rounds of a mate only to relise that you can only run steel shot in some chokes they are BB shot and ranger 2 shot for foul/birds ect also there are some solid rounds there guessing i cant run them ether any help would be great,cheers joe. :crazy:
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: full choke and steel shot

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Jul 2021, 8:31 pm

Definitely look at getting another choke to run with your steel shot and slugs.
You might get away with a few rounds but there's no shortage of people reporting budging behind the choke and stripped choke tube threads from running full choke with steel.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by boingk » 13 Jul 2021, 8:55 pm

Hi mate, check the manual here:

http://www.pardusarms.com/style/pardus/ ... MANUAL.pdf

It lists the 'C*****' as cylinder, and the 'F*' as fully choked. Did you get a few chokes with it?
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by CT hillbilly » 14 Jul 2021, 6:22 am

cheers for that fellas, so im not running full quite the oppisite and if im correct i need to run improved cyclinder choke for steel shot but is this the same for solids??? the manual says anything larger than No2 you should use IC choke???? na mate only came with the one :unknown:
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 14 Jul 2021, 9:26 am

The general rule is no choke tighter than Improved Modified for steel shot and certainly never Full as you can damage/bulge the end of the barrel.
Cylinder and Improved Cylinder will be fine.
Steel shot groups tighter than lead for any given choke so the more open chokes will work nicely. Slugs don't need choke as there's no shot to force together and you don't want to slow the slug down so Cylinder would probably be the best choice.

The steel balls are harder but less dense than lead so they lose velocity faster and don't hit as hard at long distances but very few would even notice the difference.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 14 Jul 2021, 10:17 am

Ok cool cheers for the help
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 14 Jul 2021, 12:33 pm

Will give em a go thanks to everyone for the help
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.