Staining timber on shotgun.

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Staining timber on shotgun.

Post by Harrynsw » 03 Aug 2021, 7:42 pm

Hi folks
I'm thinking of staining the timber on my shotty. It's nothing flash, Akkar Churchill U/O.
Can I just stain over the top of what's there? Or is there more to it?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Staining timber on shotgun.

Post by GQshayne » 03 Aug 2021, 8:00 pm

If you do some looking around on here, you will find threads on doing up stocks. I suggest you look for those. I think I have posted upa bit of info myself actually. There are also numerous tutorials on the net.

The basics of it are that your stock will be coated now, and you will need to remove that finish to get back to the bare timber. Stain is applied to the bare timber, and then a new finish applied over the top.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Aug 2021, 8:06 pm

Think not too much about rifles and more about trade work eg timber restoration , paint shop advice, furniture restoration, French polishing, oiling that sort of thing to determine compatibility of products
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by scoot » 03 Aug 2021, 9:15 pm

Oven cleaner.....good for stripping oils, etc helps get it back to bare timber.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 03 Aug 2021, 9:39 pm

GQshayne wrote:If you do some looking around on here, you will find threads on doing up stocks. I suggest you look for those. I think I have posted upa bit of info myself actually. There are also numerous tutorials on the net.

The basics of it are that your stock will be coated now, and you will need to remove that finish to get back to the bare timber. Stain is applied to the bare timber, and then a new finish applied over the top.

Thanks Shayne
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 03 Aug 2021, 9:40 pm

Blr243 wrote:Think not too much about rifles and more about trade work eg timber restoration , paint shop advice, furniture restoration, French polishing, oiling that sort of thing to determine compatibility of products

Cheers thanks
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 03 Aug 2021, 9:41 pm

scoot wrote:Oven cleaner.....good for stripping oils, etc helps get it back to bare timber.

Hot tip. Thanks
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnS1976 » 06 Feb 2022, 3:24 am

I have an Akkar triple. The timber stock was terrible quality the day I bought it, total garbage. Swapped it for a synthetic immediately under warranty.
JohnS1976
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 18 Feb 2022, 1:33 am

I've done a few (2 or 3) - rifles and shotgun. I'm not familiar with the finish on an Akkar but it will likely be polyurethane or similar. If so, before you stain the wood you need to remove the synthetic finish. Paint stripper etc. to leave bare wood. Sand with fine wet and dry avoiding any checkering (do those areas with a soft brush like nylon - toothbrush). You need to raise the grain by wetting it and hitting it with a heat gun then sand lightly to remove the "fur". Repeat until it is to your required standard. Fill the grain with a commercial product from your hardware. Sand again then stain with an oil based wood stain in the colour of your choice - I used Walnut because I had a can in the shed. Put as many applications as necessary to get the colour you like. Finish with multiple applications of an oil finish - basically boiled linseed oil but you can search for a recipe - apply a tiny amount (think a thumb print size) then rub, rub rub with the palm of your hand then polish with a soft cloth. Do this every couple of days letting it dry in between until you achieve the finish you want - 5-7 or more applications would not be unusual. Even a bland piece of wood should come up better than from the factory. Volume gunmakers don't do this anymore because it takes time and labour and that means extra cost. Polyurethane varnish is quick and easy and cheap.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.