410 load with AP50N?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

410 load with AP50N?

Post by boingk » 05 Aug 2021, 8:36 pm

Hi guys, I'm reloading a 410 at the moment and am running pretty low on 2205 which is the suggested propellant.

Has anyone used AP50N at all? I've got both that and Trailboss in ready supply.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Re: 410 load with AP50N?

Post by Bills Shed » 05 Aug 2021, 11:18 pm

Yes I did it years ago. I could not get any shotgun powder. Very similar burn rate from what I read back then and away I went. Apparently one just meters better.
Rolled a lot of bunnies with 3” cases.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by boingk » 05 Aug 2021, 11:26 pm

Thanks mate. I'll do some cautious loads with 8gn and 3/8th ounce of #7.5 shot.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2021, 4:05 am

According to this a lat faster. No where near the same.

ADI Equivalents.JPG
ADI Equivalents.JPG (134.84 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 06 Aug 2021, 8:02 am

Yep appears the stats have changed a bit. As stated this was at least 10 years ago and powders seem to change as well. I checked my powder and normie last night and what I wrote was correct. Contact ADI and get their view. My experience is just that. What we did back in the day is constantly scrutinised to death. We all live by our decisions.
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2021, 9:52 am

My guess is it should be OK. Contact/email ADI is best bet. In the mean time I'll check my older reloading data.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 06 Aug 2021, 10:06 am

AP50N is a pistol powder but is essentially the same as AS50N shotgun powder except that it is cut into smaller, rounder flakes/particles to make smaller weight throws easier. In general, they can be both be used interchangeably but at the same weights rather than the same volumes.

Having said that, AS50N is 'Not Recommended' for 410 use according to the 2000 ADI load data and it is a significantly faster powder than 2205 so it would be much easier to create a dangerous pressure spike. Any powder will explode and work but without access to safe load data your options are don't use it or work up your own loads slowly.

Given the slower nature of 2205 the Trailboss might be a better idea, especially as it has such a low density that it's near impossible to overload using it. If you work up to a full load of Trailboss and it still isn't enough you could try small amounts of AP50N in the case first and top up with Trailboss. Clearly the warnings are DON'T ever mix powders but that's the manufacturer's disclaimer that their lawyers make them put out, the reality is that you can mix anything as long as you work up loads slowly. You could also look at using a slower rifle powder (which are still available) and use a tiny amount of AP50N to increase the burn rate if it's too slow.

Here's my disclaimer - get it right and you will have shooting fun but get it wrong and you may have to live without some important body parts, stay safe and work up any loads slowly.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2021, 11:14 am

Its my understanding you shouldn't compress trailboss for safety reasons.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2021, 12:07 pm

Soo, I'm a bit puzzled. I can't find any info using normal shotgun powders for 410. Only ar2205 or near equivalents.

I think you need to email adi reload.support@adi-powders.com.au
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 06 Aug 2021, 1:27 pm

That surprised me too, I thought all shotgun cartridges used very fast powders, not sure why 410 is the exception.

Clearly the smaller tube diameter makes the wad and pellets much more of an obstacle that's difficult to accelerate without creating a dangerous pressure spike so it has to use a slow powder.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2021, 1:52 pm

rc42 wrote:That surprised me too, I thought all shotgun cartridges used very fast powders, not sure why 410 is the exception.

Clearly the smaller tube diameter makes the wad and pellets much more of an obstacle that's difficult to accelerate without creating a dangerous pressure spike so it has to use a slow powder.

I had a similar thought.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 06 Aug 2021, 1:53 pm

Well I'm glad I was cautious.

The 8gn of AP50 even with a reduced shot load was near the limit. The primer was showing pressure signs on two of the six cases I loaded. Wadding was two card discs and a tuft of cotton wool below the shot with a star crimp up top.

If anyone else is following this, use no more than 6gn of AP50 in your 410 to start with and work from there. That's with a 3/8oz shot load, too.

I'll give Trailboss a crack and see where it's at with a reasonable load. The downside there is its volume in the small shell may not give worthwhile results.

- boingk

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2021, 2:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Its my understanding you shouldn't compress trailboss for safety reasons.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.